Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Wow, that picture of the 31 at Bradford Interchange is all kinds of wonderful. It has snow, a rare picture of a Dutch 31 on a parcels train and the BTP Ford Orion with stickers on it! I'm guessing it's from the late 80s/early 90s? It does make me wonder if anyone knows when Parcel trains to Bradford Interchange stopped?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Wow, that picture of the 31 at Bradford Interchange is all kinds of wonderful. It has snow, a rare picture of a Dutch 31 on a parcels train and the BTP Ford Orion with stickers on it! I'm guessing it's from the late 80s/early 90s? It does make me wonder if anyone knows when Parcel trains to Bradford Interchange stopped?

Seems a bit odd that the loco has got a portable tail lamp on the nearest end, but there doesn't seem to be any other loco there; i.e. it doesn't seem to be 'top and tailed'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's not really Dutch livery though, no yellow upper stripe. I recall something about some locos only being painted in the darker grey livery, but it's not the original "Railfreight grey without red stripe".

The only bit of colour are the red GUV and yellow Maestro van!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It's not really Dutch livery though, no yellow upper stripe. I recall something about some locos only being painted in the darker grey livery, but it's not the original "Railfreight grey without red stripe".

I think at one time the overall grey livery was described as a 'general purpose' loco livery, i.e. not allocated to a specific sector?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think at one time the overall grey livery was described as a 'general purpose' loco livery, i.e. not allocated to a specific sector?

I had a feeling there was a name for it. Wasn't it the dark grey from triple grey (Falcon grey?)

14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Well if IIRC the F reg on the  Ford Orion is  87 - 88 is so it's late (winter) 1987 at the earliest

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

No, it was Departmental Grey.  It was quickly considered so dull that the yellow stripe/band was added, to make it Departmental Grey/Yellow ("Dutch"). As every loco was allocated somewhere, paint wouldn't have been wasted on a loco nobody claimed to own; such a loco would have been withdrawn.

• Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Whatever it was called it seems that it did end up in full Dutch livery at a later date.

lincs - 31531 holmes yard lincoln 94 JL

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/04/2020 at 22:10, 62613 said:

What. The. Dickens. Is. That?

Hi There,

That is a Gloucester class 128, see below:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-128/

I have even built my own from a Hornby Mk2 and a Lima DMU underframe before Heljan thought of making one.

DSCF1005.JPG.446ed6c6e3b93a17dcfccc0f0be25bb7.JPG

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Adding Photograph
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

This one's a train of Ferry vans, not parcels stock.

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Offending pic removed

Well it didn't offend me!

The 16 ton mineral wagon thread doesn't stick slavishly to the subject matter, slight deviations here are acceptable IMHO.

MIKE.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well it didn't offend me!

The 16 ton mineral wagon thread doesn't stick slavishly to the subject matter, slight deviations here are acceptable IMHO.

MIKE.

It didn't offend me, either; I was just pointing out that it wasn't a parcels working.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

10680521926_9fd2403f39_c.jpg74.007 Farnborough 4th Jan 75. by 54A South dock, on Flickr

19445684258_119633a70c_c.jpgElectric Parcels by Geoffrey Tribe, on Flickr

Watford Junc

26506323510_3ca9b62297_c.jpg1006 "Western Stalwart" at Exeter St Davids by Geoffrey Tribe, on Flickr

18323595816_f89037773c_c.jpgLoco 50 042  Guildford  1983 by Keith Wilde, on Flickr

SuO newspaper empties + coach form Guildford-Woking service

• Like 17