GEM MerControl - how do I not gunk it up? / Suitable for N gauge?

I'm looking at using GEM MerControl levers and cranks for my current project, changing the points on two Peco N gauge set track points in the industry yard and changing 3 medium radius points on the actual running line.

Is MerControl suitable for N gauge simply by putting a loop or wiggle in the wire so that it copes with a difference of throw?

Can I use one lever to control two points (passing loop) that will be throwing in the same direction or is there going to be too much strain on the lever?

The main concern I have however comes with regards ballasting, I know putting it in a tube to cross under track, but how do I avoid gluing the thing solid when I ballast the point that it's controlling?

thanks

Supplies - that's the easy bit. Lychett Manor - http://www.lytchettmanor.co.uk/mercontrol.html

Now the trickier bits.

• There's three ways of varying the throw. Either an Omega Loop - the wiggle in the wire - or by using a hole in the operating lever closer to the pivot, or by using a crank, using a hole nearer the pivot for the point-side movement
  • No problem with strength for working two turnouts - thw only thing to be aware of with a crossover is that when you pull one point you probably need to push the other. This is done using a crank to reverse the throw to one turnout
  • Gunging it up. Keep it clean, mask the area around the end of the tube when using glue. You'll need to keep that part of the turnout ballast free as well..

is it possible to bend an omega loop into the steel wire instead of having to fit separate ones?

Should be ok with the two points, the tie bars need to move in the same direction, but they are opposite ends of the station's passing loop so plenty of space to work in.

is it possible to bend an omega loop into the steel wire instead of having to fit separate ones

I did on a previous layout. I used toggle switches with a small hole drilled through the lever, with a small piece of tube soldered to the wire on each side to hold it in place. They make nice positive mechanical and electrical switches. I was using them with hand built points using code 80 FB rail, some with three blades as it was mixed gauge. Then, being too tight to buy omega loops, I bent them into the wire. I don't know if it was genuine Mercontrol wire, or something I had lying around, but I did use the correct copper tubing. No photos I'm afraid, as it was in pre digital camera days, but I've got the components in one of my boxes of useful stuff, and may well use them on the new layout I'm planning, so I could dig them out if it helps.

Edited by BG John

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Market Street Warrington said:

What do omega loops actually do? 

They allow a lever to move through its full travel when connected to points with a much smaller travel.  The loop expands and contracts to absorb excess movement.

I really hope you didn't google this - not recommended at all! :bo_mini:

• Funny 1