Are there any trespass laws on the SNCF.....?

the goathland

Did that include the Intercite trains formed of Corail stock? Since they converted to the B6t2uxh/B6Dux driving trailers with MUX2 and BB15000s the driving trailers have been at the bufferstops. See my avatar for an example taken from the concourse at St. Lazare with permission. I usually contact the station chef before going to get permission to take photos, and keep the email to show if challenged though I never have been. The Corail driving trailers (B5uxh) are at the concourse end at Paris Gare de Lyon and Paris Bercy.

Mike

This might apply only to the trains powered by the newer locomotives (BB27300)as, if they were at the concourse end, the driving trailer would overhang the end of the platform. Certainly, when I had a cab ride to Rouen, it was in the 'Voiture pilote', not the locomotive.

Well I am away on Tuesday to France.....many thanks for all your input.....I have spied some interesting spots around Paris, one that looks interesting is Asnieres-sur-Seine, there is a large double junction a footbridge and low railings at the side of the road so plenty of photographic opportunities, a lot of the loco hauled/push pulls with the engine leading on trains into Paris St Lazare pass there, looks like sun early morning from one side and sun from the other side in the afternoon and straight down the line over lunch...........Will post some views on my return in May.......plus some down the Estrerel on the Riviera.

Did that include the Intercite trains formed of Corail stock? Since they converted to the B6t2uxh/B6Dux driving trailers with MUX2 and BB15000s the driving trailers have been at the bufferstops. See my avatar for an example taken from the concourse at St. Lazare with permission. I usually contact the station chef before going to get permission to take photos, and keep the email to show if challenged though I never have been. The Corail driving trailers (B5uxh) are at the concourse end at Paris Gare de Lyon and Paris Bercy.

Mike

Ah, good point. The push-pull train I saw with the loco at the buffer stops was decidedly suburban looking, powered by a short, box-shaped, Bo Bo. There weren't many trains in the station at that time.

Steve R

• 1 month later...

I have been watching some u tube video of various SNCF trains and one thing that strikes me is some photographers seem to get very close to the track and not on stations either, so I was wondering what laws there were about trespass, I note that some drivers sound very friendly to photographers with the tunes they play on the two tone horn !!    ..........................any answers would be appreciated.

The quick answer is YES!

The Transport Police are very keen and armed (isn't everyone?) and unload  cameras if they catch you.  I had my collar felt at perpignon for snapping the new TGV (LGV to Spain) as it passed through the yard.

• RMweb Gold

The quick answer is YES!

The Transport Police are very keen and armed (isn't everyone?) and unload  cameras if they catch you.  I had my collar felt at perpignon for snapping the new TGV (LGV to Spain) as it passed through the yard.

Would you mind telling us where you were standing at the time? If outside the fence, this is a bit silly on their part.

Would you mind telling us where you were standing at the time? If outside the fence, this is a bit silly on their part.

I was standing in the open gate of the fence lining the public highway   ___  as near as damn it in line with the fence. Their principal concern being with the camera  but  equally made the point of the trespass   limit.      The LGV was in course of construction.

You were actually arrested? Did they unload the camera?

The most I've had is warned not to make a nuisance of myself on a crowded platform. I moved to the end and no-one bothered me from then on.

Guest oldlugger

Living in France as I do, and having a station in our town, I've found that the staff there are highly suspicious of any interest in the railway; I was looking at an odd concrete built buffer stop from the platform at Manosque, only to be given very enquiring glances by a member of station staff! More and more on French stations there is a tendency for passengers to be kept waiting inside the station building until just a few moments before their train arrives. This is why I think I was being given odd looks when I was strolling up and down a deserted platform, even though there were around twenty passengers huddled inside the ticket office waiting for a soon to arrive train. In the south, railway enthusiasts are rare and this too I think added to the incident above. Further north there are more enthusiasts, so it is less likely these intrusive observations will be encountered. I'd say, be very cautious anywhere on the network, however, as the railway management are far more authoritarian than in the UK.

I should have read this thread before I headed to Toulouse this past week where I was questioned by security staff at the main station for taking photos:

see http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83988

cheers,

Keith

It was at Toulouse where I was asked/told to move.

I also got refused at the shed, but later got round when a steam loco arrived, we just walked in, they let us on the footplate etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been taking railway photos in France for some 20 years and only in the last year or 2 have I had any trouble whatsoever. Haven't been to Paris since the 90s but I did get thrown off the station at Tonnerre a couple of years ago after asking the Chef de Gare who said yes, but his afternoon relief disagreed. In fact I was told that railway photography was illegal in France - nearly got out the French railway magazine I had just purchased in town to ask him why the publishers had not been prosecuted !

Most of the time if you are lineside you will have no trouble at all, in fact in the rural parts of France you will barely see another soul anyway such is the lack of population density outside of the main towns. As has been said other than LGVs, there are hardly any fences and if you have an ounce of common sense and stay off the ballast all is well. I've seen published shots taken at this exact location

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/5994037607/

where the photographer was closer than I was and obviously using stepladders

I photographed on this small station for a couple of hours

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/5994886556/

The guy in the shot (signalman and stationmaster ?) couldn't have been more helpful - even coming out and warning me when trains had been signalled

Here are two sites which should assure people that railway photography is popular in France:-

http://voies-ferrees-de-france.xooit.fr/index.php is a national forum, with some discussion of techniques and locations.

http://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.com.au/ is based around the Calais/Lille/Dunkerque area, with forays into other areas when contributors go to them on work/holiday.

I've just come home from a 10 day hop to France (via Germany, Switzerland and Italy) without so much of a hint of suspicion, Even had drivers waving and flashing their lights at us. We did tend to stick to the end of the platforms so that might have kept us in good stead. There wasn't any concern from any of the on train conductors as we had our cameras out on the tables. All in all, was a very successful trip, except the 2 day strike.

Sam

• RMweb Gold

Some French railwaymen can be very welcoming (although possibly talking a bit of railway language - in French - was helpful) but here's a signalbox interior view; the entrance was on the platform and I just asked if I could have a look round and take some pictures, albeit some years back and fairly deeply in the south). 

post-6859-0-93099600-1371677653.jpg

• 5 months later...

Evening all!

SNCF staff here...

Actually rules often change...

From outside of SNCF land, noone can forbid you to take a photo.

Inside stations, depots, etc, you can go freely and take pixs as lon as you are in places where public is accepted (so it means NOT inside depots! only on platforms...). BUT the comon law is still existing, so it means you can't take photos where you can recognise people without them accepting to be taken on the photo!

Another rule is you can't make business with your photos, but only use them as private pixs... so you can't sell them, etc!

Be carefull with industrial spying in what you put on your photos, and let no suspicion about it.

About fences, they exist on ALL TGV lines, and often on other lines when there are risks with people trespassing the line (i-e : around majot towns then...). Of course they exist in fields when there are animals too! but they are the farmer's!

About trespassing lines, it is strickly forbiden since a law of 1843... that old!

It is both dangerous and can lead to prossecution at times when caught.

Of course, il the line is disused don't be more stupid than the law!

Anyway, when you want something exceptionnal, ask a favour to the staff, as they are often please to let you see and make pixs of what you want.

Eventually, be aware of Vigipirate, that restrict sometimes what you are allowed to do, mainly in major stations.

Hope it is of any help...

• 1 month later...

Unless you have obtained permission to photograph, one thing I would add is always have a valid travel ticket to be on the station. Otherwise as you leave a platform the staff may ask you to produce a ticket and if you can't they will think you have traveled without paying. Something like a £60 fine I think?

Archived