GWR 2-8-0 to leave Moor Street

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I had to go through Moor Street today (on my way to meeting with some friends at the Severn Valley Railway)- the loco's still there.  Loco and tender have been uncoupled, so maybe a move is in the offing in the near future, but as I say at present, it's still there.

They were split before the ill fated non-move.

Keith

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know where she's off to  ?

Martyn.

It was originally posted that she was going back to Tyseley where the new owners were having her restored.

Not sure whether that is still the case as the move was postponed a couple of times.

Keith

Edit:

Whole process

I like the "broken back" low loaders which meant they could be almost level on the gradient until the load had been secured.

• RMweb Premium

I think I might have bought shares in the loco many years ago, when it 1st went to Southall. Did the GWPG sell shares? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Great set of photos there.  Very dramatic with the whole thing being done necessarily at night (I can just imagine the chaos it would have caused trying to move it during the day!) by 'the light of the silvery moon'.  How long did it take to get it onto the low loader?

Looking forward to seeing it in the shops at Tyseley on the open day in a few weeks' time.

• RMweb Premium

Great set of photos there.  Very dramatic with the whole thing being done necessarily at night (I can just imagine the chaos it would have caused trying to move it during the day!) by 'the light of the silvery moon'.  How long did it take to get it onto the low loader?

Looking forward to seeing it in the shops at Tyseley on the open day in a few weeks' time.

Apart from hoisting the loco & tender and swinging them onto the low loaders, there was the need to make a stand for the crane so that it was level.

The gradient of the road at that point is quite steep!

A good job well executed.

IIRC The scheduled closure of the two carriageways was about twelve hours, 6pm Saturday to 6am Sunday, but not both all at once.

The low loaders were parked in the bus bay where I get the X50 bus home from Brum.

I miss seeing the old gal sitting there in platform 5, whilst waiting for the bus!

Keith

Oh yes; it was odd yesterday whilst going to Stratford, and missing her sitting in Platform 5.

Still I'm glad she's gone off to the workshops for restoration, rather than just being seemingly forgotten about and sitting forlornly in a cut-off siding slowly deteriorating.  She'd been there 10 years and I wonder how much longer she could have sat there in the elements before the effects of rain, air pollution etc started to show. 

Archived