Southern Pride Clear Mk1 coach sides.

Does anyone know of any other companies that produce or sell the clear coach sides that Southern Pride use in their emu and mk1 coach kits.
They list them on their site cheap as chips but I no longer have a cheque book and don't really like trading with someone I can only contact via mail.
I have used them before but that was a long long time ago.

Steve

A good company, who have invested a lot into our shared hobby.

I'd get a cheque from the bank, or a postal order is still available, Southern Pride like a lot of the creative lifeblood of our hobby aren't a huge commercial beast. Like most items made by cottage industry the manufacturer is the sole seller.

Ian

• Agree 1

I had not really heard of these people, but I've had a look at their website and, if I've got it right, they seem to do pre-coloured coach kits in 4mm for not much money. I see that Tony Wright seems to endorse their products so they must be good, but that doesn't mean that a gorilla like me could do a good job to them. Anyone on here like to share their experiences please?

Ed

I have bought several of their MK2 B's and C's, however these are pre-rolled brass sided affairs that take a lot of work to look right ( including cutting along the whole length with a slitting disc as they are too deep in the tumblehome ), but as long as the time is invested, they stand up very well in a rake of Bachmann 2a's.

I have however, put together one of their MK1 BSK's, with the clear sides and pre-printed livery. A lovely model and I thoroughly enjoyed constructing it, and I would have no issues in running it along side any proprietry item.

In answer to the OP, I don't know of anyone else who took an approach to their coach kits as SP did, but that doesn't mean that someone out there hasn't done it, it's just that Ive not come across it - to echo what Ian says above, I'd make the effort to deal with SP in some way if you can.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have built one of their breakdown coaches The clear sides have to be chopped, recessed doors inserted, and brass overlays added. All explained well in instructions, and fairly easy to do. I made their pre painted Mk1 coach kits long before the Bachmann offering, and they really were simple.

The decals on this coach are by southern pride too, although the chevrons are Fox. Great company to order from, quick and efficient. He was at last years Kidderminster show selling his wares.

Sorry about poor quality photo's, no daylight now.

post-512-0-49953400-1357575995_thumb.jpgpost-512-0-57363900-1357576024_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've built several of their Bulleid coaches and my biggest regret is that they seem to have been indefinitely withdrawn from the range. Were they to reappear, I'd definitely be sending them a biggish cheque! Excellent product fairly priced.

Edited by Colin

BigAndy

Re: I have bought several of their MK2 B's and C's, however these are pre-rolled brass sided affairs that take a lot of work to look right ( including cutting along the whole length with a slitting disc as they are too deep in the tumblehome ), but as long as the time is invested, they stand up very well in a rake of Bachmann 2a's.

Have pondered doing somthing similar myself, to obtain some Mk2b's & C's would it be possible to see your handwork?

Alfster,

yes mate, I'll attempt to get the camera out in a couple of days. I was intending on doing this anyway as I've just completed an Inverness - Glasgow Queen St raft comprising of some Airfix 2d TSO's, a Bachman BSO and the SP 2C TSO.

My gallery is under 'detailed disels' but has a few shots of the first airfix 2D that I resprayed. Like I said, that coach and the rest of the raft have now been finished and weathered, so I'll get some shots on there soonish - just keep yer eyes peeled for them appearing!

The 2C TSO is in blue/grey, and like I said, took some effort to get looking somewhere right - hopefully my next attempts will be a bit quicker now I know the pitfalls. It's not perfect and I know some modellers who are going down other directions to get a good 2c, but for me, I think it works.

I'd like to have your opinion on it, so once the shots are up, you could always PM me or just comment in the gallery and I'll try to pass on some of the pitfalls that beset me.

cheers

Andy

As I say I have used them in the past, both an EPB and VEP have been built from their kits.

However I am looking into the Electra graphics overlays and figure the Southern Pride type clear sides would be ideal. I just wondered if anyone else produced them.

As an aside I do feel Southern Pride do seem to shoot themselves in the foot with the way they trade.

Steve,

Not sure at all why you think Southern Pride's trading policy is a reason why it would put you off?

It is one fella (I think) what level of service do you think you deserve?

There are traders who promise items for years SP just gets his head down and produces items of value to me and seemingly at least ten others...

Shame their perfectly good service via mail order isn't good enough for you.

Bought off SP at Worcester the very good show that used to be in Kidderminster...normally there

Ian

As I say I have used them in the past, both an EPB and VEP have been built from their kits.

However I am looking into the Electra graphics overlays and figure the Southern Pride type clear sides would be ideal. I just wondered if anyone else produced them.

As an aside I do feel Southern Pride do seem to shoot themselves in the foot with the way they trade.

Edited by Ian Fisher

• 7 years later...
On 06/01/2013 at 22:39, talbotsteve said:

Does anyone know of any other companies that produce or sell the clear coach sides that Southern Pride use in their emu and mk1 coach kits.
They list them on their site cheap as chips but I no longer have a cheque book and don't really like trading with someone I can only contact via mail.
I have used them before but that was a long long time ago.

Steve

known him years. very trustworthy.

• Agree 1

Just to add to the overall theme here, I could only give David Lewis & SP 10/10 as a rating. Extremely helpful and accommodating. I have bought whole kits from him over the years as well as individual parts and 'scratchbuilder combos' of whatever i needed.

If he ever re-introduced the Mk.1 SK/TSO and BSK in blue/grey I would be immediately sending him a cheque in 3 figures, I rate them as better than the Bachmann mk.1s :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2013 at 19:02, Colin said:

I've built several of their Bulleid coaches and my biggest regret is that they seem to have been indefinitely withdrawn from the range. Were they to reappear, I'd definitely be sending them a biggish cheque! Excellent product fairly priced.

Colin, I am not absolutely certain as I am too lazy to make the effort to go through the whole set of parts on the SP site, however, I think you might be able to cobble together a Bulleid coach from all the available parts, as I think the (some?) printed sides are still available; that's the bit I can't quite work out. Other than that, Comet sides on a SP clear sided carcass is a great way forward, except you have to paint the sides of course. 

Quite a lot of effort but good for 'unusual Bulleids' (e.g. Dining First or [say] Tavern)  and easier (lighter) than a full metal kit.

Take care

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My humble piece is this. SP produce a wide range of things that are very useful indeed. If you want those things than the effort has to be made to follow the trading policy of SP, otherwise you wont have the things; simples really.

As for the construction, they are straightforward and the only thing you need to be careful with is the fittings as Superglue will fog the plastic sides; how do I know this?

Worth making the efforts suggested by others.

All the best,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I have sent 6 emails within 2 months and had no reply.  I'm not knocking their/his work, I have had plenty of Southern Pride kits in the past, only in the last 12 months I have really struggled to get any response, I guess they must still be trading. I have sent another email via their website yesterday so will see what happens.

As an aside, does anyone know of any other companies that do OO clear sides for coaching stock?

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2013 at 22:54, BigAndy said:

I was intending on doing this anyway as I've just completed an Inverness - Glasgow Queen St raft comprising of some Airfix 2d TSO's, a Bachman BSO and the SP 2C TSO.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I would also lie to see photos of your Inverness - Glasgow rake as I have a similar rake already started, currently it is set aside to concentrate on N Gauge stock though.

Phil H

1 hour ago, talbotsteve said:

I have sent 6 emails within 2 months and had no reply.  I'm not knocking their/his work, I have had plenty of Southern Pride kits in the past, only in the last 12 months I have really struggled to get any response, I guess they must still be trading. I have sent another email via their website yesterday so will see what happens.

As an aside, does anyone know of any other companies that do OO clear sides for coaching stock?

If you're just placing an order I sent one a couple of weeks back with a cheque by post and received the items in about a week.