My First Diesel Loco Body - WAGR R Class in S Scale

I have just received my first complete diesel loco body from i.Materialise, printed in Prime Grey material.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results and there were no nasty surprises.  Obviously, there is some stepping on the curved roof, but that was expected.  There are a few little whiskers of material and some remnants of the support structure around the cab windows, but they will clean up easily.

I included the raised numbers on the cab side which were done in metal on the real ones.  Downside is I will have to change the artwork if someone wants a different number.  There were only 5 locos in the class.

Here is a link to a prototype photo when the locos were new in 1968: http://www.railheritagewa.org.au/archive_scans/displayimage.php?pid=7376  They have English Electric equipment and were built in Australia at EE works in Queensland, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGR_R_class_(diesel)

I am currently working on the 3D design for the bogie sideframes and then have to do the underframe and fuel tank.

I have also put photos and additional notes on a local modelling blog at http://wasnmodeller.blogspot.com/2013/01/wagr-r-class-diesel-using-3d-printing.html

post-17456-0-65297400-1357537037_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-81037000-1357537072_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-34462100-1357537087_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-30261600-1357537103_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-30311800-1357537118_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Richard,

Out of curiosity, it looks like you've painted the prime grey shell, i just got some parts in Prime Grey that i've designed in today, wanted to find out what you did (if anything) to prep the parts for paint, and any thoughts you have on painting prime grey parts overall that might come in handy.

Cheers

Stephen

Hello Stephen

Apart from cleaning up the remnants of the support structure, I didn't do any preparation.

I used Revell enamel paint, thinned and applied by airbrush.

The paint went on very well and there was no obvious difference compared to painting styrene models.

Thanks Richard, great to hear that it painted well.  When i get to painting mine i'll post some pictures of the car with the new window insert strip that i did in the 3D print to match a Canadian Pacific prototype.

Cheers

Stephen

Hello Geoff

Thanks for the feedback.

I am considering several options for the number plates, including getting the numbers etched.

There were only 5 locos in the class 1901-1905. I could also produce a different STL for each one, although I want to keep 1901 for myself as it is the class leader.

I want to finish detailing my loco and do a few other mods to the loco before offering it for sale anyway. There are a few other local modellers who are interested.

Archived