Building a L.T Battery Electric Loco by The Model Shop now Ragley Models

mozzer models

Built a resin version when it was Harrow models. Probably easier, less soldering than white metal. Chassis was white metal.

I did carve the handrails off and fit wire as well as flush glazing to the large windows.

The name is Radley Models and it appears that you have the Harrow Models kit which is whitemetal and heavy. I would also consider fiiting it with 2 motor bogies due the weight of this model; the new Radley Models bodies are made of resin and a lot lighter.

I look forward to seeing the finished model.

XF

Edited by Xerces Fobe2

That's definitely the old Harrow kit. I've built a few of them. They go together really nicely, but they are pretty heavy. One spud will do the trick if you get the weight directly over it, and fit some pickups to the trailing bogie. If you are running them in pairs, then it will work fine, just keep the wagons light between them!

Also get hold of some photos of the loco you want to build, as the Harrow tooling is generic, and not quite right for any prototype. Unfortunately I only found that out after building three, by which time I had gone in for card anyway!

Hi Lads

heres the Box

8356924077_89ce5405e0_z.jpg

002 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

This build is not for Me & I have been asked to build It as pre the kit & No 35 In yellow

So fat today the build is going well the chassie/main frame is now built

I still have the doors & center panel on the sides to fit plus the work on the bogies

I need to nip out & get the paint for the loco as i do not have any yellow in stock

• Like 1

Well got on well with the soldering Notting has been glued

the model is built & has had a wash & is drying

So tomorrow i will make a start painting it

so here are some pic of how the body, bogies & chassie were before it had a wash

8357559677_4737cdb03f_z.jpg

007 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

8357558841_7e11e4b87a_z.jpg

006 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

8357558105_bdc18f0765_z.jpg

005 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

8357557677_7da0605f69_z.jpg

004 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

8357556909_d46b98b2ce_z.jpg

003 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

• Like 2

Just for info: Phil Radley was the original designer of the Harrow Models kits. He set off on his own when Harrow Models folded. So, essentially, the Radley white metal one will be the same kit as the Harrow Models one..

It's looking good, Mozzer ... are you not tempted to keep it??  ;)

Hi Guys.

Mozzer, lovely job you've done on the build, it looks great in those painted pictures. Soldering whitemetal is not something I would be confident at! What is the quality of the Radley Models kit like? By that I mean how crisp are fine details such as rivets/bolts and the louvres etc on the body side? Is there a much cleaning up of the castings/moldings required? I ask because whitemetal and resin kits have a reputation for being a bit 'clunky' compared to their etched brass or molded plastic rivals. Could you perhaps post some close up shots of the model? I am interested in building a 7mm battery loco, but at £175 it would have to be high quality. I might get myself a 4mm GP wagon kit first to 'test the water', I'm sure it will make a nice model to go with my Bachmann Pannier. I'll look forward to seeing your battery loco progress.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Guys.

Mozzer, lovely job you've done on the build, it looks great in those painted pictures. Soldering whitemetal is not something I would be confident at! What is the quality of the Radley Models kit like? By that I mean how crisp are fine details such as rivets/bolts and the louvres etc on the body side? Is there a much cleaning up of the castings/moldings required? I ask because whitemetal and resin kits have a reputation for being a bit 'clunky' compared to their etched brass or molded plastic rivals. Could you perhaps post some close up shots of the model? I am interested in building a 7mm battery loco, but at £175 it would have to be high quality. I might get myself a 4mm GP wagon kit first to 'test the water', I'm sure it will make a nice model to go with my Bachmann Pannier. I'll look forward to seeing your battery loco progress.

Cheers,

heres a close up of the rivits on the roof & side grils

8382260645_d51ae8ca40_z.jpg

008_edited-1 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

Rick

Hi Guys.

Cheers,

Rick

Rick the pattern making on the 4mm and 7mm Batteries were done in VERY different ways (and probably the best part of 3 decades apart) so what a 4mm one looks like won't be much of a guide to the 7mm. That said, I *believe* that the 4mm GP and the 7mm battery are from the same designer/process.

Jon

Rick the pattern making on the 4mm and 7mm Batteries were done in VERY different ways (and probably the best part of 3 decades apart) so what a 4mm one looks like won't be much of a guide to the 7mm. That said, I *believe* that the 4mm GP and the 7mm battery are from the same designer/process.

Jon

Cheers for that Jon. I like to try and see things before I buy them, so I might try out the GP wagon first and try to get to an exhibition Radley are attending.

Rick

Rick: some white metal kits can be a little on the chunky (I know you said 'clunky") side but since many of the earlier LT stock and the battery locos are rather chunky anyway they well suit the material (IMHO).

Mozzer: that looks really good. Very nice indeed. :)