Glebe Road Junction.

hybridangel77

Hi Terry,

I enjoyed the video, but noticed a lot of brake ends and first class coaches behind your class 25. you really need a few more 2nd class and a few less brakes.

Nice pics of the new section round the concrete bridge, that area is really coming together very well I do like that class 86 too, always thought that livery suited them.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Terry,

I enjoyed the video, but noticed a lot of brake ends and first class coaches behind your class 25. you really need a few more 2nd class and a few less brakes.

Nice pics of the new section round the concrete bridge, that area is really coming together very well I do like that class 86 too, always thought that livery suited them.

Cheers Peter.

Yeah i have too many brake coaches but the other coaches are not easy to get hold of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This May Help?

attachicon.gifDSCF0221s.jpg

Pete

Good pic! Look at the small, shiny strike plungers on the outside head of the rail, which were usually arranged in a pair. When the wheels hit these, grease is pumped onto the inside (gauge face) of the rail: this one doesn't appear to be connected. You can hear a definite "ching" when wheels make contact with them.

There are several different types, some more archaic than others. I used to have pictures (for former professional reasons!) but I'm not sure where they are now. Look for the variants that sit almost buried in the ballast or the taller, cylindrical drums, which are considerably easier to model:

Rail_track_lubricator.jpg

(Common source image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rail_track_lubricator.jpg)

Note the ancient lubricator with modern, "fastclip" track!

These things need constant maintenance and often malfunction: they either pump too much or insufficient grease when this happens. The gauge face of the rail is always shiny black ahead of them in the direction of traffic: trains obviously run left to right in the above picture. If it's broken, there will be grease everywhere in the vicinity of the pump!

Rail lubricators ("greasers" to the maintenance gangs) are normally located prior to the start of the transition (where cant starts to be applied, track goes from straight to curved), of a curve so that most of the rail in the curve is able to be lubricated. The one in the above pic is actually in the transition which again, is not uncommon. I have also seen very long curves where "booster" lubricators were fitted to aid greasing. They are also only fitted to the high rail of a curve, which is the rail that becomes gauge worn in normal traffic. Single or bi- directional lines may have one at either end of the curve. In reverse curves, you may spot lubricators almost opposite each other.

Some types also possess different size drums for capacity reasons. The larger drums are often fitted where access is difficult for gangs to fill them up, for example on viaducts or embankments or in cuttings. Those types (such as the one in Pete's picture) which foul the track are painted yellow to assist sighting for tamper operators etc. and are often repainted when they become dirty.

A good curve maintenance team ("grease gang"!) will be equipped with copious spares and tools, good overalls, grease barrels, degreasing fluid, yellow and black paint and endless patience! They used to repaint the cant markings on the curve while they were there, under lookout or T2 protection, although it wouldn't surprise me if much of this work is now undertaken at night during T3s.

If you're a lubricator rivet counter :no: , BR demonstrated considerable regional variation, although I'm sure Network Rail now have more modern, standardized types... said with a semi- straight face...

I used to try and standardize on a particular type on a certain branch wherever possible. The gang may attend to several in a day, working down the track. Maintaining the same type on the same day makes stocking the van considerably easier.

Sorry to ramble on but Pete's pic brought back some long ago memories!

[Edits for additional info: started as a short post, ballooned as memories came back!!]

Edited by DropTheTap

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry i have not added any updates for a while but i have been away on my family holiday. The layout had it's photo shoot on Wednesday this week so it will hopefully feature in the Model rail magazine towards the end of the year and will notify you all what month it will be when i find out.

Terry

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Big Sale!!!

Hi all

After a long debate i have decided to sell all my modern locos and rolling stock to concentrate on the 80's-90's stock.

It looks as tho i may be moving house in the near future so Glebe Road Junction will have to be ripped up and once i move house i will build another layout to suit the older stock.

So before i put my modern stock onto Ebay i wanted to post it here on Rmweb to give you guys first refusal.

Listed below is the list of stock and most are weathered by me apart from a couple which are still fresh from the box plus all come Dcc fitted apart from one.

So if any take your fancy please leave a message or pm me and i will get back to you.

Next up is this Bachmann class 37 (97301) Network rail. This is a respray into this livery done by someone else and is a very good copy.It has been weathered by me and is only Dcc ready. The box is in normal condition with slight wear and tear.

£70.00 plus £6.00 recorded delivery.

post-17682-0-49830400-1439207124.jpg

• Like 1