Millfield.............. A helix build in progress.............

Poindexter

Hmm how do I get down from here?

post-6690-0-54125700-1357430655_thumb.jpg

I can see a plan forming

post-6690-0-98406700-1357430687_thumb.jpg

This is my new layout thread there is no track plan as such yet. To start with it will be simple twin track (no points!) across the top board, down one helix, across the bottom boards, then back up another helix. Just to prove I can build it. Then I will think about plans. Probably be twin track with a station, a TMD based on Cambois and some kind of industrial sidings (either steel or cement).

I basically want to watch my rakes of VGA, MEA, BAA, TEA, JGA, and  BDA wagons running round that have been collecting dust in the loft.

My other layout, Stockton Road TMD will still be worked on as I still need to learn scenic skills and practice other model railway skills. 

post-6690-0-76309500-1357594643_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-50863300-1357594673_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know its supposed to go upwards!!

post-6690-0-97824100-1357594706_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-47964000-1357594811_thumb.jpg

Checking Clearances. 

post-6690-0-83722100-1357594742_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-40278200-1357594786_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

How many circuits will your helix need to complete inorder to complete the climb?

Hopefully it's going to be above the top level (on a raised tack bed) and I reckon it'll take 4 1/2 turns to get there climbing 3" every turn.

This is all hypothetical of course. I am learning as I go!

I hope all goes well for you Guy, I thought long and hard about a helix a few years ago but wimped out.

Cheers Dave. The thing is I don't really need one, I could probably get a fiddle yard in down one side of the loft. I just want to build one because they interest me and I see it as a challenge to be worked out. I think I just like building things!

If it works there will have obvious benefits including not encroaching on the wife's part of the loft!

Guy

Guest Dave.C

If it works there will have obvious benefits including not encroaching on the wife's part of the loft!

My wife is too scared to go up the loft ladder, that makes it my domain, although there is a fair amount of her 'junk' up there

Right folks I had a good night tonight so here's the results. If I'm posting too many pics then say so!!

The rods are in but no boards are fastened down. I still have to check it all works clearance wise. My next task is to mock up an approach to the first section from the lower boards to see what works then when thats sorted I can reach for the sky!! Well up to the next level any way!

post-6690-0-44198200-1357683438_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-41815300-1357683443_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-51881000-1357683448_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-82450100-1357683453_thumb.jpg

post-6690-0-44045000-1357683431_thumb.jpg

Sorry, not a loco in sight!!

Good work, looks like I'm lagging behind!

Hi Phil

The thing is your operating your stock and layout as you build, so you have distractions. Your layout has evolved and I have enjoyed been along on the Beresford Junction journey I would rather be doing that but I need a layout to do it on! Stockton Road is good to learn on but not to run stuff like you do. This is a new start for me so I have no distractions at the moment. I want to get to the "enjoyment level" that you, Scott, Leon and Ian et al have. Then Work will slow down. In fact I can see one helix getting finished, a small fiddle yard underneath then playtime on top!

Good stuff, you're flying. What approximate radius in inches do your curves work out at?

Hi mate

They are just standard Hornby 3rd and 4th radius curves. Not sure what they are!

From the stuff I've seen on youtube and the net in general it seems to be the smallest you can go and be successful.

Having said that, apparantley steam outline will struggle at these radii and road height seperation with more than a couple of coaches. But I don't have any steam and if I get any I would let a diesel bring the coaches for the steam loco to connect to in a station siding or even bank it up the incline.

Guy

Hi Phil

The thing is your operating your stock and layout as you build, so you have distractions. Your layout has evolved and I have enjoyed been along on the Beresford Junction journey I would rather be doing that but I need a layout to do it on! Stockton Road is good to learn on but not to run stuff like you do. This is a new start for me so I have no distractions at the moment. I want to get to the "enjoyment level" that you, Scott, Leon and Ian et al have. Then Work will slow down. In fact I can see one helix getting finished, a small fiddle yard underneath then playtime on top!

Hi Guy

You're right of course.

I remember the 'wilderness years' when I used to go downstairs and just do woodworking then all of a sudden I and trains running and things slowed down.

Next time I'm 'Up North' visiting my Mum, I'll drop by and check on progress, comparing nut and washer alignment on our helixes!

I'm currently away from base so only virtual modelling tonight.

Phil

Archived