Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• RMweb Premium

When you are dating or dated women (or men conceivably), how do you talk about your model railway interest? Is it straight away or do you ease into it? When do you, how did they take it? I understand that the married ones's significant others here accepted their husband's interest without any complaint.

Any amusing stories are welcome.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

When you are dating or dated women (or men conceivably), how do you talk about your model railway interest? Is it straight away or do you ease into it? When do you, how did they take it? I understand that the married ones's significant others here accepted their husband's interest without any complaint.

Any amusing stories are welcome.

Well generally on a first date I wouldn't mention it. Then usually once I'm caught, in one girlfriends case that was 2 years, I blame my interest on my late Grandfather! Although converting over to P4 certainly wasn't his idea, I blaime RMWeb for that, which equally I wouldn't mention that I'm a member of on a first date!

Regards,

Nick

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 5

Can be a minefield.

On seeing my framed Leslie Ragan NYC posters (in this vein) on the wall the response was

"Oh, so you like trains then?"

In a very undeterministic tone, part surprise, part calculated not to offend, but part guarded. (Very guarded.)

I do find that most people, more so those not looking for partners, are interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't say anything for ages, it wasn't until much later that her brother and I found we had a mutual interest... He's a member here too, and Sheena is one of my best drivers. one of the very few who I can trust to obey signals every time.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I never made any secret of my hobby and indeed the subject arose on the day that I first met a gorgeous girl (Now Mrs G for the last 33 years). When she came to my house to pick me up to take me out that evening, she could hardly help seeing the part completed model of Woodlesford in 4mm that was in the dining room and the modelling desk under the stairs in the sitting room.  It's gone downhill ever since. 

I think she really smelt a rat when on honeymoon in Canada and the USA she wondered aloud as to why there was always a railway line in front of the motels we stopped in.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It works both ways, you know, guys.

Back in the days when we were, what they call to today, 'an item', I saw my chance as we were passing the model shop in Porthmadog.  It was then that I said, 'I've always wanted one of them!' pointing to the roundy roundy in the window.  'Did you?' said he, his eyes popping out of his head with sheer and utter disbelief delight!

....Many moons passed (and a few more years...and decades) and this bloke on TV did his own toy programme and asked everyone round the table who was coming to play trains.  'I will!' said I.  Next thing, I get a loco and a few coaches in my Christmas stocking.  It appears my wishlist took a long time to get to the North Pole....

So, moral of the story, just choose the right moment.... smile1.gif

• Like 8

I was ( just turned ) 18 when I had my first date with my Girl friend, I worked for BR at the time ( rrne ), she was a health care worker, I was talking about my model railway layout to a driver in the pub who had set me up on a blind date with her at the time that she and her friend walked in, so she knew strait away that I was into model railways her mate was going out with the driver at the time, the year after I was not on the railway any more, but that should answer the question.

p.s. 20 years later were still together with 4 kids 2 of each.

Funny bit now My oldest Daughter is dating a n gauge modeller from Stockport ( we all live in Leeds ) She met him at Rochdale exhibition last year whilst working on my stand ( she was not the boyfriend ).

SGJ

I've never made any secret of my railway interests, though in the past I've usually taken young ladies for a ride on one of the local steam railways as a gentle introduction, rather than to a model exhibition. SWMBO finds exhibitions boring, but will go to great lengths to take a photo of any steam or diesel special she sees when out & about...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Should ....... camra and flask coffee too....... :locomotive:

Probably a good idea to keep real ale interests secret too for a few months, especially if you've got a beard and a liking for wooly pullovers.

Neil

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

That was sort fo the problem really, they were interested in the hobby. Not me. Grrr.

All men have a hobby that their partner rolls their eyes at at some point :) its just one of those things I guess. Toleration is the name of the game :D

EDIT: edited a long time after the fact to remove a stupid opening line

Edited by Edge
  • Like 4