Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

No Offence Big James, but do you have to wear an aircraft warning light when you go out at night?? :jester: 

There in at college I was nicknamed Big sean, as the other sean was only 5ft 2... Im the family midge at 6ft... :xD:

Sean

Guys......you are so naive......

you ask her if she had a dolls house as a child, you ask her if she is still interested in them, you ask her if she did any modelling for them, and ask her has she ever consider 1:76 / !:72 or which ever is appropriate, if she answers yes to one or more of those questions....feel free to mention the railway, and tell her you could so use a girl who understands about models / modelling/ who might build you a little house, and model the garden outside.....simples..... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

P.S. Leave the talk about recognising class of trains, decolorisation, era, steam versus diesel until you know you have her hooked.........and do not repeat repeat repeat your favourite loco in her hearing until you have a ring on her finger, a baby in the bun, or bought a house together. (she she can't run)  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  But do take it in easy steps, and when her eyes glaze, or wander leave the subject alone for that night.

When she does any modelling or work for said railway interest always remember to buy her a gift...possibly not chocolates every time....unfortunately this can cause weight gain and even spots for those poor unlucky people. Flowers....or if you are really clever a little modelling project - tell her you are not brave enough to try it....would she have a go.....

1. If she tries it....winner 2. if she tries it and makes a good go of it......better than winning the lottery 3. do not take her to the club until you can guarantee some smarty pants can't see she is pure gold and lure her away!!!! Oh if she does not do well but has a go at the model show patience and see if she improves on another model....girls of this calibre are few and far between

edited = because I noticed loads of typos....how I avoided an indecipherable I'll never know .

Edited by Jaz

Jaz,

The most likely alternative to 3 is: "... until it has been fumigated, the tea cups have been washed up, milk with 2012 sell by date thrown out and 50% of the club members taught how to use deodorant."

Bill

Haha gotta laugh at that. The name stems from the fact I'm 6ft 8 and I no so many James's that we've all got nicknames.

Big James

Same here, but with Andy's! At my last job we had Big Andy (me, 6'11"), Medium Andy (normal height) and Little Andy (few inches over 5').Though my forum name is from an old nickname that stuck after a friend saw Police Academy for the first time.

When I got with my missus 12 yrs ago I was economical with the truth about my steam hobby. I first told her that I was just helping my Dad do his photography up at the Bluebell. Then over time I told her that actually I'm a steam enthusiast, not a train spotter mind you :no: , and I did quite a lot of lineside photographic work with my Dad not just at the Bluebell but other railways to. To my surprise she was ok with it and even when I build my layout in the spare room of our flat she didn't complain too much. I think the right phrase would be "she tolerates it, just". Of course if I get a photo published in SR or HR magazine and get paid she makes sure she get's her cut out of it. I'll never forget a couple of year's ago I got 2 pics published in Steam Railway mag and got paid £40 which oddly enough when she found out was the exact amount she needed to get her hair done at the hairdressers, so the money soon got transferred from my account to her purse.

Guys......you are so naive......

you ask her if she had a dolls house as a child, you ask her if she is still interested in them, you ask her if she did any modelling for them, and ask her has she ever consider 1:76 / !:72 or which ever is appropriate, if she answers yes to one or more of those questions....feel free to mention the railway, and tell her you could so use a girl who understands about models / modelling/ who might build you a little house, and model the garden outside.....simples..... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

P.S. Leave the talk about recognising class of trains, decolorisation, era, steam versus diesel until you know you have her hooked.........and do not repeat repeat repeat your favourite loco in her hearing until you have a ring on her finger, a baby in the bun, or bought hour together.  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  But do take it in easy steps, and when her eyes glaze, or wander leave the subject alone for that night.

When she does any cooing or work for said railway interest always remember to buy her a gift...possibly not chocolates every time....unfortunately this can cause weight gain and even spots for those poor unlucky people. Flowers....or if you are really clever a little modelling project - tell her you are not brave sought to try it....would she have a go.....

1. If she tries it....winner 2. if she tries it and makes a good go of it......better than winning the lottery 3. do not take her to the club until you can quarantine some smarty pants can't see she is pure gold and lure her away!!!! Oh if she does not do well but has a go at the model show patience and see if she improves on another model.....

FINALLY, A useful guide to girls/women! ;)

Sean

• RMweb Gold

When she does any cooing or work for said railway interest always remember to buy her a gift...<snip>. Flowers....or if you are really clever a little modelling project - tell her you are not brave sought to try it....would she have a go.....

These are the flowers to buy her, then she can add them to the layout as well...

http://www.busch-model.com/katalog/e/artikel/1205-h0.htm

Andi

• Like 1

There is some poor sod in the group who's been lumbered with little James. It's now spread around work to the point everyone calls him little James. His only 5ft 2 but it's all fun and games. But on a serious note my current girlfriends te only one who puts up with my modeling.

Big James

you ask her if she had a dolls house as a child, you ask her if she is still interested in them, you ask her if she did any modelling for them, and ask her has she ever consider 1:76 / !:72 or which ever is appropriate, if she answers yes to one or more of those questions....feel free to mention the railway

Were you secretly listening in to the conversations I've been having with my girlfriend of 2 months? 

• Like 1

It might be close but she has left out all the exceptions, caveats and small print that exist to eat into valuable modelling time.

All you can do is own up and hope for the best. (perhaps not on the first few dates though)

If she walks away, she probably  wasn't worth it anyway.

Andy

• Like 1

ive only been into the hobby for around 12 month now after goin into a toy shop to buy my niece a xmas present  last year.well that started the ball rounding. my friends think ive lost the plot but will spend most of there time around at mine in my hobby room and  before i know it they are wanting my wifi password. to control my layout on there phones. . anyway the gf of around 3 years isnt right bothered about the spare room just full of train boxes and a layout but now were expecting or first child she has asked me to half the layout  to get a cot in the room .   :no:  i said. lets move to a bigger house. so i get to keep my layouts. now i go to a local club thats in my local club. so not only does she near push me out the door come wed/thurs night so she can watch her crap on tele but i can have a few pints also.   but ive got some great hobbies. walking mountain biking camping hunting shooting fishing a allotment but for some reason bein into model railway   i some how get tagged as a train spotter. . .to tell the truth i wouldnt know one end off a 158 from the other  :senile:  :locomotive: