Farish Cattle Wagons

nebnoswal

I??™ve just received my new Farish cattle wagons. They are a 100% improvement over the old Farish and Peco variants. the extra detail like the steam pipes, coupling hook, underframe detail and the finely detailed chassis and proving that the N gauge wagons can match it with OO. It has NEM coupling pockets so I took advantage of this and trailed different couplings to reduce the space between the buffers.

post-6928-12621614392588_thumb.jpg

post-6928-12621615231126_thumb.jpg

post-6928-12621615930477_thumb.jpg

On the left are short shank Unimate couplings, in the middle are original couplings and on the right I??™ve put in the new Farish short shank NEM coupling. Both the Unimate and short shank NEM had no problems going round my 12 inch curves. They certainly closed up the gap.

post-6928-12621620984946_thumb.jpg

Keep up the good work Farish.

After having another closer inspection of the cattle van, I also notice it has lamp irons as well. They are just on the inside of the left hand buffer. Also I??™ve attached photos showing the original supplied coupling on the left, the Farish short shank NEM in the middle and the Dapol Buckeye(not the Unimate I previously quoted) on the right.

post-6928-126243203906_thumb.jpg

post-6928-12624320555146_thumb.jpg

After having another closer inspection of the cattle van, I also notice it has lamp irons as well. They are just on the inside of the left hand buffer. Also I??™ve attached photos showing the original supplied coupling on the left, the Farish short shank NEM in the middle and the Dapol Buckeye(not the Unimate I previously quoted) on the right.

The Farish Short shank and Dapol look like they will be pretty identical in terms of separation when coupled. Does the short shank rapido raise ok, or does it clash with the coupling hook (looks like it might)? If so this might be one reason they are shipped with longer rapidos. Easy to rectify with a small cutout on top of the rapido.

Cheers,

Alan

The Farish Short shank and Dapol look like they will be pretty identical in terms of separation when coupled. Does the short shank rapido raise ok, or does it clash with the coupling hook (looks like it might)? If so this might be one reason they are shipped with longer rapidos. Easy to rectify with a small cutout on top of the rapido.

Cheers,

Alan

Correct Dr Al, 2 points to you. Neither the short rapido or buckeye are able to lift due to the coupling hook. Not really a problem if your not shunting them, but as you suggested, a small cutout will remedy the problem

Correct Dr Al, 2 points to you. Neither the short rapido or buckeye are able to lift due to the coupling hook. Not really a problem if your not shunting them, but as you suggested, a small cutout will remedy the problem

I think the Dapol buckeye won't lift as it's not meant to, but given that you can't couple them without the big hands from the sky it's not that relevant I guess.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived