Millbank

Mike BRMA 391

I have been building this layout since 1995. Baseboards down within a year then a start on my ultimate layout. David Jenkinson did his last called 'Little Long Drag'. Mine is a bit like that. Distractions galore like refurbishing s/h wagons etc and kits plus even restoring an old 1956 Lambretta 150d. The track plan was to emulate urban busyness trying to give a multi track appraoch to my main terminus Millbank. Ficticious but take cues from Waterloo and Victoria stations. Has 7 platforms and allows for steam and EMUs to go out to my junction station 'Basingham'. Again, takes cues from Basingstoke and Southampton Central. Then the lie splits three ways: one is the through continuous double track, two is the double track line that ducks under Millbank and comes out the other end of the room. This will eventually go into the scale length terminus of Bournemouth central.

I am still detailing Basingham and have yet to put in a second control panel for this area but can run trains to Basingham, and all the way round the continuous circuit. Mainly most work is done from Millbank to Wandle Chase, a section between Millbank and Basingham. Here is a very wide road overbridge allowing for four lanes of traffic and two tram tracks. Largely influenced by London Transport buses and one Feltham tram plus a few earlier versions of London taxis it only needs a few more people and LT bus stops!

All buildings are to be scratchbuilt. Finished is the Millbank Loco Depot based on the concrete structure at Exmouth Junction. Only four roads though. Wandle Chase signal box is almost done and based on Arundel'glasshouse' style. Next are the Carriage shed (based on Wimbledon) and Millbank signal box (based on near scale Waterloo). Also have an overhead signal box spanning eight tracks and replicates Clapham Junction box complete with wartime protection over. Have

cardboard mockups in place to make sure they look right for position.

A project that I knew would take many years to finish basically single handed it will be a source of continued inspiration as the years go by.

post-17970-0-36561600-1357802498.jpgpost-17970-0-91215000-1357802962.jpgpost-17970-0-71005700-1357803092.jpg

Layout is housed in a separate insulated shed sized 26' x 16' but need a little more for adjoining work space!

Mike BRMA 391 Layout based in Western Australia

Thanks Alex. So you are a West Bromwich Albion supporter. I am a life long supporter of the other great Albion. They beat Newcastle United and sent them packing back to geordie land. Will post more photos next week.

Thanks Gazman. I see you have also been giving Steve some great ideas for his new layout. Over the years I have been moving away from medium points to large radius points. Curved ones always look good too. My fellow modeller in Perth has gone a step further and built his own curved points in the time honoured method of PCB sleepers, solder, point diagram and then some solder. These look great but I have not the patience to do this. I am like Steve and want to get on to actually deciding on the design of the trackwork. Once I am satisfied with my research(prototype), baseboard profile and avoiding running parallel to the baseboard edge I then put down the trackbed (either cork or Clark rubber 3mm) and then pin down the track. Glue? No because I often have some fine tuning to do and it is easy to tweek the track over. THEN I fix it later, much later. The ballasting I always do... sometimes up to a year later.

One more tip: On curves I introduce super elevation. This make a moving train look superb as it tilts into the curve. Note, only use cork here. I use a rasp to create the super elevation and a small level across the track bed. The cork dust is great for further scenic work so don't throw it away!

A couple more shots (taken in 2011) to satisfy requests. But no more as I have more modelling to do. But as promised more in due course.

Mike BRMA 391

post-17970-0-94422600-1357829075.jpg

post-17970-0-74288800-1357829127.jpg

Archived