The Pits

David Bigcheeseplant

thepits003.jpg

thepits004.jpg

The Pits

I have now finished the five pits required for the Aylesbury Town project; hopefully this weekend I can get them installed in the base boards with all the trackwork.

This is the second set of pits I have constructed the first were the same although seemed too narrow when I put P4 track on top, so I decided to build them again, but check known dimensions I had to hand.

After asking on here about the depth on this forum it occurred to me to look at the original linen drawing of Aylesbury shed that I own, no idea why I didn??™t check before! Anyway the depth from top of rail to bottom of pit was two foot nine inches, and the width of the pit was six foot! But it was broad gauge, so I thought that in standard gauge it would be again one foot less than the gauge, so went for 14.83mm wide and it looks good. Is this the first time original drawings have been used to build the prototype and a model?

Now I have five finished pits I am going to use with another five spare that are too narrow to gauge for P4 18.83mm, does any one model 16.5mm gauge as I am sure they could be used for that minority gauge!

David

• RMweb Gold

thepits003.jpg

thepits004.jpg

The Pits

I have now finished the five pits required for the Aylesbury Town project; hopefully this weekend I can get them installed in the base boards with all the trackwork.

This is the second set of pits I have constructed the first were the same although seemed too narrow when I put P4 track on top, so I decided to build them again, but check known dimensions I had to hand.

After asking on here about the depth on this forum it occurred to me to look at the original linen drawing of Aylesbury shed that I own, no idea why I didn??™t check before! Anyway the depth from top of rail to bottom of pit was two foot nine inches, and the width of the pit was six foot! But it was broad gauge, so I thought that in standard gauge it would be again one foot less than the gauge, so went for 14.83mm wide and it looks good. Is this the first time original drawings have been used to build the prototype and a model?

Now I have five finished pits I am going to use with another five spare that are too narrow to gauge for P4 18.83mm, does any one model 16.5mm gauge as I am sure they could be used for that minority gauge!

David

As it happens I'm exactly that sort of narrow gauge modeller and was getting towards building some pits :D

They look great !

Will you be adding drain covers to the bases, and should the steps be a little worn on the front edge of the tread (depending on how old they are, of course) ?

Stu

There should be a shallow gully down the middle with a couple of small square doles for drainage, that I may add, the steps in the photos don,t seem that worn, and at one end where the entry to the shed is there is concete to the rail top with no step visable until you are about half way down,so am not too sure how that worked.

On the drawing there are three proper steps down although some pits just seemed to have onstep as in the photo of Didcot here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/5659-1964-slide-scans-was-eastleigh/page__hl__didcot__fromsearch__1

David

David

• RMweb Gold

"As it happens I'm exactly that sort of narrow gauge modeller and was getting towards building some pits"

If you cover the cost of the plasticard and postage, I am sure we can sort something out, did want one or the whole lot?

David

I'm looking for quite a lot so it might well be all David. A PM will establish my 'phone number if you're interested in disposal and the cost you mention is what they would be costing me anyway so no problem there.

Archived