Made by Magic: The Hogwarts Railway

cgraham

Thanks Jeff

It took about 5 months - a couple of hours several evenings each week and several hours on the weekends. I still make occasional upgrades. The buildings are primarily balsa, basswood and poplar dowells.

nakedhall_zpsd3bb67f9.jpg

nakedtower_zps093fdf4d.jpg

bare_zps302fbe4e.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 8

I am very impressed with your model making, just because it is fantasy does not mean that you have scrimped on detail. This is a pleasure to view and I hope you add more pictures.

Just a shame that you are the wrong side of the pond and that I wil not get to see it is the flash as it were, I hope you are very proud of your work.

best woshes

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys.

I'll be at a show next weekend, but only taking the Hogsmeade Station modules and my "Key Biscayne" module. I'll take more photos and post.

FECmorning2_zps3b6b5a90.jpg

The photo above was taken in early morning natural light at a low angle to the module which brought out detail in the water surface texture. In the exhibition hall, the diffuse and dim lighting makes the water look flat (below.)

Post3.jpg

post2.jpg

IMG_0451b.jpg

800IMG_0493.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

...and here's a wide shot of Key Biscayne, with Hogsmeade Station connected in the upper right of the image. The Station connects to Hogwarts Castle, and Hogwarts connects to a midwestern USA mining industry...you gotta love modular railroading!

wideviewBiscayne_zps13182e66.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey, There's a big show April 13-14 in Timonium, Maryland USA and I'll be displaying Hogwarts, Hogsmeade Station and Key Biscayne as part of a giant modular layout with miles and miles of contiguous scale rail. Our club layout will be only one of a couple dozen set up for this show. See http://www.gsmts.com for more info.

00001025800.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was originally inspired by digital artist Jared Reisweber's (Jaredr122) work as seen below and was trying to capture the feel of one of his matte paintings for viewers like the kids in the photos above.

hogwartsmatte1c2.jpg

hogwarts1.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Adventures with the layouts has to be the most fun within our hobby!

I usually take Dunster to the show and let the kids have a go.

The local boys organised an big modular weekend with the Bay Area guys. Unfortunately one club didn't know the other was dcc and the other club didn't realise the other was dc.

Best S'quatch.