Is he rifling a handbag?

Chubber

Awkward stance for carrying something heavy (you'd normally have your elbows in), and the hands do look like they're pulling something apart, but his attention has been distracted as he's looking off to the side. And the legs look like he's moving or leaning forward. No idea, at least not a sensible one. 

Maybe using one of those muscle-building springy things? The sort that appear on You've Been Framed rebounding and injuring the would-be strongman?

Three chuckles! I wondered if he's trying to open a mega-pak of cheese and onion...that split second before the bag rips completely and all the crisps hurtle in every direction....Given all the other useful/possibly prototypical poses for the other figures in the Dapol series I can't think that the pose was invented?

Doug

[David, we crossed in hyperspace.........]

I've always thought that he was supposed to be leaning out of a brakevan or engine. Note the fact that he's leaning slightly forward and facing to the left.

Out of that set, sledgehammer man is my favourite (don't cross him!), seconded by flag man.

I have absolutely no idea. The palms of his hands are facing downwards, which is more uncomfortable than having your palms facing inwards (yes, I just tried to adopt his pose, cue odd looks...). 

May I suggest that he is part of a railway company dance group?

I've always thought that he was supposed to be leaning out of a brakevan or engine.

Before scrolling down to this post I was thinking leaning on the bar in the station refreshment room, but out of a brake van or loco would make sense too.

• RMweb Gold

Operating a tool with two levers that works in a hoizontal plane, something like hedging shears , but as others have noted, he's not really looking at what he's doing.

Alternatively could he be about to pull open the neck of a mail sack, in which case the "eyes left" would be explained by fear of getting caught!

Archived