00 rtr Underground on the way

Guest maxthemapman

Many thanks for the picture. I certainly wouldn't fancy building one car, let alone four

Looking at the picture though, the body of the trailer seems to sit much higher above the bogies than the EFE cars either side. This is not meant as a criticism of your excellent work assembling the kit - more an observation of a possible shortcoming of the kit itself

No offence taken - I agree with you -It fairly basic kit and mounted on Metromodels bogies so that I could couple it easily to the EFE stock. Whilst t my best model but it just makes for a bit of variety and I also run my other 4-Car 1938 as a 3 car with the UMDM leading sometimes at Show and this does raise a few eyebrows!

When the Met BoBo comes out for enthusiast specials, doesn't it haul a set of BR Mk1 coaches? With S Stock, commuter trains plus an enthusiast special could be run authentically. A pity, it would be nice to have something older than S-Stock.

Not sure about the 'we have built the kits, and so the loco won't sell' argument. It would not surprise me if the Bachmann 4-Cep outsold every single Southern Electric kit ever produced all put together. Certainly, next month, My Ian Kirk 2-BILs will be heading for the dustbin (where they will metaphorically get to meet a Pirate Models 1938 driving motor and a Bec Trams E1).

I will give a home to them rather than you throwing them way.

XF

Guest maxthemapman

No reason not to give them away. The Pirate 1938 stock and the Bec tram are long gone.

Will try to get to the modelling show at Acton in the spring, can bring the 2-BILs with me.

For my general thoughts on kits, see this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63208-the-future-of-loco-kit-building/page-8&do=findComment&comment=824387

No offence taken - I agree with you -It fairly basic kit and mounted on Metromodels bogies so that I could couple it easily to the EFE stock. Whilst t my best model but it just makes for a bit of variety and I also run my other 4-Car 1938 as a 3 car with the UMDM leading sometimes at Show and this does raise a few eyebrows!

The Uncoupling Non Driving Motor car couldnt be driven faster than 10mph from the panel at the end of the saloon and that would be in "inch" with all the resistances heating up - go too far and they'd melt!

The Uncoupling Non Driving Motor car couldnt be driven faster than 10mph from the panel at the end of the saloon and that would be in "inch" with all the resistances heating up - go too far and they'd melt!

There is a report/urban myth that for a very short period there was a working from after the morning peak of a 3-car set of 1938 stock headed up by an UMDM to Croxley Green Depot.  I have yet to find any concrete evidence of this working!

XF

Guest maxthemapman

There is a report/urban myth that for a very short period there was a working from after the morning peak of a 3-car set of 1938 stock headed up by an UMDM to Croxley Green Depot.  I have yet to find any concrete evidence of this working!

XF

Source is none other than J Graeme Bruce

Tube Trains Under London, 1977 ed

Page 80 (on the desk in front of me as I type).

XF

I may be mistaken, but IIRC there is a published photo taken near Cardiff Road in Watford showing the 3 car set being driven from the UNDM on its way to Croxley Depot. No urban myth.

I may be mistaken, but IIRC there is a published photo taken near Cardiff Road in Watford showing the 3 car set being driven from the UNDM on its way to Croxley Depot. No urban myth.

If anyone to elaborate on which publication this photo appeared in I would be very grateful.

XF

Archived