Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Pete, not sure yet! At the moment it is ok as I am only working on board number one so it can stay set up in the garage. But when both boards are ready to be joined together that is another matter! Mrs. Grimley would like me to have one of those large sheds which is all insulated like a small building out in the garden. Problem is I might be out there most of the time, perhaps that is what she wants!!!! biggrin.gif

I have to be honest Pete, I got so carried away with the idea that I just put of answering the question of where it was to be kept. Thought I would cross that bridge when I came to it! huh.gif

Hi Keith, I think you might be right will certainly need a few and very soon too!

Have to say that I have always liked the Peco shed, I used to have quite a few of them when I was much younger. They were the card ones back then!

Well you could always have another layout with a different style of shed! wink.gif

Over the weekend I managed to get the lower floor finished. First of all I removed the wooden battens which needed cutting. The plywood which sits on the top of the board was then cut to allow the lower floor. Once the battens had been cut, these were then offered back up to see how they looked.

DSC00980s.jpg

DSC00979s.jpg

The battens were then filed to try and get them as level as possible and once happy some strips of plywood added.

DSC00983s.jpg

I then cut out the final piece of plywood for the floor which was then pinned down. The rest of the top plywood was then also pinned down.

Here is how it now looks:

DSC00984s.jpg

DSC00987s.jpg

DSC00989s.jpg

DSC00995s.jpg

The inspection pits will sit on the plywood as in the photos above. Then using sheets of plasticard I will build up the floor to about 4mm from the top of the inspection pits as per inside the real shed. The sides of the inspection pit will also be trimmed and plasticard added to give the impression of the rail sitting on thick concrete walls.

• Like 1

Now that the lower floor is in place my attention has turned to the inspection pits and in particular the cosmetic look of it. Some time was spent researching where the floor is lower and how this affects the inspection pits. I had originally thought that the Peco kits would need trimming but after looking at photos realised that the width was actually fine. I was quite relieved to find that out, the idea of cutting lots of inspection pits was not that appealing!

I started to look at how the sides of the inspection pits would be filled in and whilst looking for some plasticard sheets found some plastic channels. These had been purchased for some other project, although I am not sure what it was! These were just the right height so I offered three of them up and to my surprise the channels were then flush with the top. Perfect.

This method will mean a lot less filling than was previously thought.

Here are some photos:

An inspection pit section with the sides filled in:

DSC01001s.jpg

The floor will be raised a little as you can see here by some wooden battens:

DSC01003s.jpg

A chopper sitting on the inspection pit section:

DSC01008s.jpg

Sat on the lower floor of the depot; the area where the white plasticard is sitting, this will be raised so that the concrete area is level with the top of the rail.

DSC01006s.jpg

Although not much progress has been made, I am really pleased with what has been achieved as it means that I now know how I am going to model the inspection pit and concrete areas.

On Saturday I purchased two more inspection pits and glued them together, as I have not taken any photos of our 80s stock since the channels have been cut out I could not resist taking a few photos!

IMG_3154s.jpg

IMG_3142s.jpg

IMG_3139s.jpg

IMG_3130s.jpg

IMG_3131s.jpg

Now to figure out how to get some cash to purchase all the inspection pits that are required!

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Looking great, its cool when you find something just working out and saving you time.biggrin.gif Looks like you have a few more 20s,ohmy.gif have you been out spending.laugh.gif tongue.gif

Cheers Peter,

Exactly how many pits are you going to need for all that?

If it's a huge amount, would ordering a supply in bulk straight from the factory possibly save you quite a bit of money for this? Plus have the benefit of them all being ready at the layout at the same time.

Thanks Peter, yes it certainly is. I have to confess that the commute in to work gives me time to ponder these problems and often that is when I come up with ideas to try. Very sad I know!

Funny as sometimes I come up several solutions which are quite involved but then suddenly whilst thinking a very simple idea comes to along.

I was very pleased to come across those plastic sections as it is going to save a lot of work filling in the sides especially as all of the dead-end roads will need doing in one form or another. Five of them will nearly be the full length too!

Peter, I have to confess that the extra blue disc 20 is my eldest son’s borrowed along with the metals Grid for the photos. We have four 20s, still a few short!

I have not been out spending yet……did look on the internet the other day and there are a few Bachmann blue choppers which we can purchase. I almost bought one too! Difficult not to after seeing the four 20s inside the shed…..

Can’t see funds becoming available for stock purchases for quite sometime!

Hi SG, I have worked out that in total I need 44 of the Peco inspection pits and so far nine have been purchased already. These have been used to help cut out the channels ready for their arrival and also as mentioned yesterday for experimenting with filling in the sides.

Good idea about buying in bulk, as you say it should work out cheaper and save me some money. Also as you mention they will all be here at the same time which is good too.

Thanks Mark, glad that you like the updates. I hope that it doesn’t disappoint you when finally finished! My plan is to get the depot building constructed (covered in the relevant plastic sheets), most of the depot interior constructed including the concrete flooring, inspection platforms and iron work and have the track down by the end of the year. This will then allow weathering and detailing next year. Whether that happens or not who knows but that is what I am aiming for.

I am now at the position where further progress on the depot floor area cannot be made without the rest of the inspection pits so I am now saving up!

As mentioned before the other area which is being researched is the iron work which Grimley senior is now working on. Last week I purchased some brass I and H sections which will be used to make up a frame that will sit inside the shed. My Father is currently building a wooden jig to help with production of the frames.

Attention has now turned back to the depot shed. Yesterday I spent a few hours cutting wooden battens for the inside walls, these will be spaced out along the side of the building (sitting vertically) to give increased surface area for attaching the brick/lined plasticard. This will help to glue the plastic sheets on to the wooden frame. To add a little strength to the sides, aluminium strips were screwed and glued in place which meant that the wooden battens had to have channels cut out in order for them to sit properly. A couple of hours were spent using a router to cut out the channels on the 74 pieces of wood. A long job but one that will pay dividends when it comes to adding the plasticard as it will allow the brick and lined sheets to stick a lot better.

Hopefully tonight I can get these glued in place.

This morning I found myself with some spare time so decided to glue the pieces of wood to the side walls. I have been thinking about carrying out this job for quite a while but managed to put it off, still it is done now. Some extra pieces will be added to the corners to help the plastic sheets stick down properly in these areas which will be added later in the week.

Here are the pieces of wood before filing and fitting:

DSC01024s.jpg

One of the sides before the wooden pieces were glued in place:

DSC01028s.jpg

The sides now:

DSC01026s.jpg

DSC01030s.jpg

Some of them are not quite vertical (I was leaning over and tried to get them straight!) but as these pieces are only there to purely to help get the brick and lined plastic sheets to stick down properly it is not the end of the world.

After seeing the photo of 60030 on Airthrey Park with the depot in the background I am now quite tempted to start tidying up the main shed and preparing it for covering with plastic sheets. Looking at other people's layouts on here today has got me motivated!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

oooh thats looking good mate, It looks so much better dated in the 80'scool.gif

Thanks Porkie, I agree!

Although it is nice to model the present day, the late 80s/early 90s is how I planned it. Oh and after my visit in 1988, that is how I remember it! biggrin.gif

Well not much progress has been made over the past few weeks owing to the fact that the warping on one of the sides appears to have returned. This made me very annoyed. angry.gif Still after calming down, we decided to add a 3mm steel angle which seems to have done the trick. Hopefully now I can get back on track…….

Yesterday I found some lined plastic sheets which were offered up and couldn’t resist just sitting a 60 outside the shed!

Here is 091 on the lathe road:

IMG_3205s.jpg

IMG_3206s.jpg

IMG_3209s.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks James, 091 is one of my favourites so had to model it. The track is Exactoscale fast track, really nice track and looks superb. I am looking forward to seeing the track once down outside the front of the shed.

Over the weekend whilst moving things in one of the cupboards I came across this machine:

IMG_3213s.jpg

I had forgotten we had this loco, will do nicely for the early 90s period.

Been putting up some decking in the back garden over the past week so haven’t had much time for modelling. A few minutes have been spent preparing the shed for covering with plastic sheets although this will probably be a few weeks away.

My birthday is not too far away so hopefully I might get a few inspection pits……….

• Like 2

Hi Grimley,

Thats a good find,biggrin.gif I do like a good Skinhead,laugh.gif sheds looking good too.

Does your layout still get used or are you working on Boxenby full time? I haven't seen any updates for a while.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I thought that too! Needs fading and weathering though.

Me too, I plan to have 31102 in Original Railfreight, I did really like 31s in that livery. Oh and Grids, Choppers, 37s, 47s and 58s!

Do you know I have not run any trains on Grimley since November last year, must have been when I finished the HAAs and 60081. Blimey cannot believe it has been that long!

I really must let some of my 60s stretch their legs and have a run on the ores and tankers.

My latest obsession has really taken over with all my modelling time being spent working on Boxenby. Hopefully I can make further progress over the next few weeks. Would like to get the outside covered, then it will really begin to look like a depot shed!

Hi Peter,

Yes I thought that too! Needs fading and weathering though.

Me too, I plan to have 31102 in Original Railfreight, I did really like 31s in that livery. Oh and Grids, Choppers, 37s, 47s and 58s!

Do you know I have not run any trains on Grimley since November last year, must have been when I finished the HAAs and 60081. Blimey cannot believe it has been that long!

I really must let some of my 60s stretch their legs and have a run on the ores and tankers.

My latest obsession has really taken over with all my modelling time being spent working on Boxenby. Hopefully I can make further progress over the next few weeks. Would like to get the outside covered, then it will really begin to look like a depot shed!

Hi Grimley,

31102 in railfreaight would look nice.

You will have to do a bit of track cleaning on Grimley then, funny how time goes by, I haven't run Llanbourne since April apart from test running my new 47. I guess while you are in the mood you should keep going with Boxenby, its looking good.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

You are not wrong, probably need a snow plough to clear the dust off the rails! laugh.gif

I cannot believe how quickly this year has gone. You will have to go and have a play!

Thanks, whilst I am motivated I plan to keep going. I am desperate to make more progress and my problem is I would like it finished yesterday!

What I really want is to see the building covered in plasticard, then it really will look like a building.

Thanks Lewis, not sure that I agree! blush.gif

Yes I was quite pleased when I found 31110, didn’t realise they were hard to get hold of. Almost bought a red-stripe railfreight one the other day as well as a 56 in the same livery. Really had to fight the urge!

In the post on Saturday were a couple of Evergreen lined styrene sheets which I am planning to experiment with for the ribbed metal sheeting on the main shed. Tonight I plan to glue some brick and ribbed sheets on to some plasticard to see how it will look. This will also allow me to try out some paints and weather them before work begins on the real depot.

After visiting DEMU yesterday I feel even more motivated!cool.gif

Hi Alex,

Gald to see you are still making progress - it will certainly look quite different once the plastic sheeting goes on the depot although if like me progress will slow down now the football is on constantly! The 60 looks great by the way!

thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes slowly. Bit like England at the moment! Have to confess that I have been watching a few games……still managed a bit of modelling last night!

Yesterday I had a little look at the ribbed metal work to go on the sides of the shed and decided to use the metal siding sheet from Evergreen which arrived on Saturday.

First of all I cut a section of the styrene sheet and glued this on to a piece of thicker plasticard. Then after cutting a couple of strips of brick (embossed plasticard) these were stuck together and the glued on top of the ribbed plastic. Finally I added some Microstip on top of the brick.

As this was just a test to see how it would look I did not spend too much time cutting it carefully, but when it comes round to the final pieces more care will be taken.

Here is the first example:

DSC01041s.jpg

I was not happy with how it looked so decided to try just one strip of brick to allow more of a concrete lip. This worked a treat and achieved the look that I was after.

DSC01037s.jpg

DSC01046s.jpg

Can’t wait to see the whole building covered….I must learn to be patient! biggrin.gif

• Like 2

This evening I put the test pieces up against the side of the shed to see how it looked and have to say that I am very pleased with the result. Just how I had hoped it would look turn out which is very good.

A couple of photos, the quality is not great as they were taken with my phone. Couldn’t find the compact camera!

DSC01049s.jpg

DSC01051s.jpg

DSC01056s.jpg

• Like 1

This evening I put the test pieces up against the side of the shed to see how it looked and have to say that I am very pleased with the result. Just how I had hoped it would look turn out which is very good.

A couple of photos, the quality is not great as they were taken with my phone. Couldn’t find the compact camera!

DSC01049s.jpg

That works! Very much got the Toton feel about it. biggrin.gif

• Like 2

Hi Melly, thanks. Glad that you think so!

Not much progress to show although I have been working on tidying up the shed in preparation for the plastic sheets. Filing and filling…..hopefully I will be ready to cover the inside of the shed in the next couple of weeks. When it has not been possible to do any work on Boxenby I have been researching the depot by studying photos of the real depot.

I should hopefully be ordering the inspection pits in the next week or so…….cool.gif

Yesterday I came across my notebook from our visit to Toton back in February 1988. After looking at the Rail Express Modeller article on Western Road this got me thinking how good it would be to have Boxenby modelled on that date back in 1988. What I good idea I thought until I looked through all the numbers of the locos present that day!ohmy.gif huh.gif

Quite a few……there were 23 locos just outside the shed and that is not including others stabled further to the north! May be one day if I win the lottery! biggrin.gif

Melly, you would have been pleased, Thornaby’s 37 501 and 502 were on shed! wink.gif

Will post a list of all the locos that were on shed that day later this evening.

Hi Alex,

I really like the look of the shed - your careful choice of materials will pay off with the overall result and mocking up a small section gives you the best idea of how the whole shed will look when finished. I did the same when making the platforms on Rannoch the only thing now is painting it all and the only tip is take your time with it as you can get a lot of subtle shades in your brickwork which will just bring the whole building to life even when nothing is moving. In fact weathering all that building could actually be quite a fun job if you can et out in the garden doing it in the sun.

Great to see the progress continues - although lets hope we don't have too much tme for modelling when England progress tomorrow!

Thanks,

Mark

Alex

Hi Mark, I am very pleased with the Evergreen plastic ribbed sheets, to me it looks just right. When I put the small section up against the side I was very happy with the look. I have spent a lot of time researching the depot thinking about how I am going to tackle the different parts/areas. Even when I am on the train or walking to work I often think of potential solutions. How sad is that!

I have been looking at your thread about brickwork which has been very helpful. Last week I purchased some paints to experiment with, getting the shades right and also having the cement in between the bricks is going to be a challenge. Certainly this is new to me weathering buildings and as you say will bring it to life. I like the sound of sitting in the garden modelling, not sure Mrs. Grimley will let me do that. She is bound to find me a job to do!

I hope they stand up and be counted, and deliver a decent performance!

Yesterday in the post were some of the Bachmann lifting jacks which I have been eagerly awaiting for quite some time. Well worth the wait as they do look very good and great value for money in my opinion.

Last night I put a few out in the shed to see how they looked and took some photos. I put my test pieces for the outside inside as a back drop and although the bricks should be painted white and the metal work should be different it looks better than just the wood showing.

Here are some photos:

IMG_3418s.jpg

IMG_3428s.jpg

IMG_3421s.jpg

IMG_3429s.jpg

• Like 3