Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Good

Just love the tool scatter  - everything to hand  - efficency at it's worst  - I could have a field day.

Not to mention the trip hazard - oh how industry has progressed - H&S is everything.

..........lots of nice sludge dripping down into the pits there too.

Ian

I have been busy over the past couple of weeks looking at the depot floor and in particular the design of certain pieces. A few tweaks have been made to this part of the project and I hope to have something to show over the weekend. Whilst there has not been much progress to show as such, I think that the time spent changing a few things will pay off.

I hope to have all the floor pieces ready to start priming next weekend.

More later.

This week’s announcement by Dapol that they are to produce a class 59 in 00 gauge got me thinking about one of the class visiting Toton back in the late 80s. I remember seeing a photo of a Foster Yeoman 59 outside Toton shed in the Profile of the 58s book and so yesterday evening I dug it out.
I thought that it was 59001, however, it was in fact 59003. A search on Flickr found these photos;

11778872404_1064701de7.jpg999-99 59003 Toton xx021986 by Hugh Searle, on Flickr

11778698943_7e0d2fc7aa.jpg999-98 59003 Toton xx021986 by Hugh Searle, on Flickr

Whilst this is slightly earlier than my preferred time period, I think that I could get away with having one on Boxenby!

Edited by Grimleygrid
  • Like 1

This week whilst working on the depot floor pieces I noticed that something did not look right in the area around the front of the inspection platforms. After a bit of thinking and research, I realised what was wrong, I had forgotten the ramps which go from the depot floor down to the lower floor area under the inspection platforms. Ooooooooops!

Well this has now been addressed, here are a few photos showing the redesigned pieces which have been put down to see how it looks:

22085621831_76f1143cf3.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

21888717239_c9a5cddc7d.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22075623025_8904bcb0ee.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

21887727708_116f00b8af.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22063155112_8f3056aeab.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

I am really chuffed with how it looks, still a bit of work to do to allow the ramps to sit nicely in position but you can see what I am trying to achieve.

• Like 3

Thanks Ian, I am pleased with the look of the floor pieces and hopefully once painted and weathered they will blend in nicely. Should really finish off the inside of the shed.
The ramps will be concrete like the floor. Here are a few photos to show what I mean;

7050343615_00c4eb1a66.jpg60058,60079 Toton Sunday 30 January 1994 by Dave Kemp, on Flickr

6904977086_52f4c789a9.jpg58048,60072 Toton Depot Sunday 26 February 1995 by Dave Kemp, on Flickr

7983778228_b6a725a718.jpgToton Depot. by Valiantoz, on Flickr

• Like 3

Hi Peter, thanks, I just want to get the bloody floor finished now!

Don’t worry, whilst you should never say never, I am pretty confident that Boxenby will remain a Shed free zone!
This is how I plan to start off:

21877764402_f1543ecdf9.jpg20121 by Sparegang, on Flickr

20246534893_0636b6cd23.jpg20189 + 20056 by Sparegang, on Flickr

20217981434_c444376b08.jpg37509 + 37503 by Sparegang, on Flickr

21877417812_4f2a561d75.jpg56022 by Sparegang, on Flickr

20219603613_1ccec28312.jpg56012 by Sparegang, on Flickr

20680782779_6c82a9cd59.jpg60010 "Plynlimon" by Sparegang, on Flickr

21268274313_637284beae.jpg60030 "Cir Mhor" by Sparegang, on Flickr

21268606993_a778288382.jpg60053 "John Reith" by Sparegang, on Flickr

Looking good there's that great eye for detail keep it up

David

Thanks David. After a few tweaks I am pleased with how it is coming on.

• Like 3

Hi Class60lover, 60s always look fantastic, especially in Sector livery!
Yes I am planning to model all the handrails, those on the inspection platforms and on the depot floor. These will be scratch built. However, I cannot decide which colour to have them!
Whilst yellow is the correct colour for the period that I am modelling, I prefer the look of them in a metallic colour!

https://flic.kr/p/hZ6E9i

https://flic.kr/p/hWy3vm

Something else I will have to make a decision on at some point in the future, albeit a while off yet, is whether or not to have a depot sign on the side of the shed:

56014Toton-M.jpg

Sorry, I couldn’t resist an excuse to post a photo of a Grid at Toton!

So do I have a Railfreight Coal logo and lettering, do I have a BR logo and lettering, or just leave have nothing at all? Any thoughts?

Hi Peter, recently we were talking about wagons being inside Toton depot, whilst searching earlier I came across a photo on this site which shows a few HAAs inside the shed back in 1986:

http://www.railwayscenes.com/photos---1986---toton-depot.html

• Like 2

Hi Grimley

The floor and walkways are looking superb. Really looks impressive.

Great pictures of the 59 on shed. I think a NP liveried one will be appearing on PDW although ARC livery was always my favourite. I think maybe some trials on lime stone trains maybe in order like the ones on the Iron ore trains in South Wales in the late 90s might give an excuse for an ARC liveried example. Nothing like pushing the boundaries of modellers licence. HaHaHa.

As fot the hand rails, personally I would go with the yellow as they will contrast nicely and stand out against the predominately grey colours of all the other infrastructure. Just my personal opinion though.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Grimley

The floor and walkways are looking superb. Really looks impressive.

Great pictures of the 59 on shed. I think a NP liveried one will be appearing on PDW although ARC livery was always my favourite. I think maybe some trials on lime stone trains maybe in order like the ones on the Iron ore trains in South Wales in the late 90s might give an excuse for an ARC liveried example. Nothing like pushing the boundaries of modellers licence. HaHaHa.

As fot the hand rails, personally I would go with the yellow as they will contrast nicely and stand out against the predominately grey colours of all the other infrastructure. Just my personal opinion though.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus, thanks I am pretty pleased with them, especially the floor.

That is what modelling is all about, lots of enjoyment! It is your train set after all!!! I thought that the ARC livery suited the 59s/

Thanks for your suggestion. To be perfectly honest, I tend to agree with you, the contrast of the yellow against the dull and dirt will really stand out. Oh and the more photos and video I see of Toton around that period, the rails are yellow! Perhaps that is my answer!

I think Marcus makes a good point with the yellow.

I guess you do some of each and see what u prefure.

Coal logo and writing again personally.always loved the 4 black dimonds.

What ever you decide it's going to look fantastic anyway

Hi Class60lover, thanks for your comments. I do tent to agree with Marcus. Certainly leaning more towards yellow now....

Thanks, I am quite tempted to have the coal logo and writing but unsure. Prior to that the depot had a BR logo albeit slightly smaller, that is another option.

I did wonder about having the different logos and writing removable, however, not too sure how practical that would be.

A very quick update: Yesterday evening I put down all but a few of the depot floor pieces to see how it looked. This is the first time that the majority of the pieces have been laid out and it really does look good.

To say that I am chuffed is probably an understatement! A few changes and tweaks were made and that has made all the difference.

I cannot wait to get the floor painted and weathered now. Over the weekend I need to make a few adjustments to the board to allow the ramps to sit down nicely and then the pieces can be given a coat of primer.

I will take some photos over the next day or so to show how it is looking.

• Like 1

Bit late to the show but I vote yellow too for the rails. I was always partial to sector depot signs too if I'm honest.

No worries, thanks for your input Cav. I think that I am going to go with yellow now, seems to be the right colour for the rails.

I did like the large Coal sector sign on the side of the shed, not too sure when it was put up. Sector livery was launched in 1987, so it may have been in 1988. Need to search the internet for photos to help try and work out roughly when the sign was added.

Starting to really come together now. I weather up a class 20 and it looked pretty good. Shame i sold it but it was a lima and i didn't want to go chopping a dcc chip just in case i blew the chip.

Thanks Ian, slowly! I can now see the end in sight for the depot floor. Hopefully by Christmas it will be down.

I remember having a Lima model resprayed as 20132 in Original Railfreight, many years ago, I loved that loco!

The Bachmann model is very nice, pairs of 20s......lovely!

Over the weekend I managed to get a bit of modelling done working on getting the board ready to allow the ramps from the concrete floor to the lower floor area to sit nicely. This unfortunately meant that the depot floor pieces were removed and before I took any photos!
Still, hopefully in the not too distant future the floor pieces will be put down permanently!

A small piece had to be cut off the board between the two inspection pits:

22302931825_01f9048b80.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22115233618_b76b553615.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

This was carried out for the floor areas between all the dead end roads, roads 5 to 15.
A bit of filling is required on the pit wall, although you probably won’t see it so may not need to!

Here is how it looks, floor pieces and ramp dry fitted:

22276974956_580517712d.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

22290110292_5e846ce32b.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

This is the view looking west from Road 5:

22115270958_077e705144.jpgUntitled by AP474, on Flickr

My plan is to get the floor pieces ready to all painting at the weekend.

• Like 5