Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Mark, fotopic does come in handy at times! Triple Grey livery definitely suited them best in my opinion. I too had a Lima 60001 and a few others as well. I remember returning home from an exhibition really excited about my new purchase a Lima 60003 Christopher Wren only to find once at home that I already had it!! Oh how Mrs. G laughed……..that has become a bit of a joke now! I plan to have a model of said machine for Boxenby albeit the new Hornby version this time.

I hope it does although not convinced!

Go on MM you know it makes sense! I have to say that a couple of Grids and 60s inside your fully detailed Immingham shed would look rather nice. That is settled then, I look forward to seeing your progress!!

I agree the lights definitely need to be orange, still that is some way off yet!

Well the weekend saw the first real change to the Boxenby shed with the west wall (by road 15), getting lined sheets applied to it and it has made a huge difference to the appearance. It really does look completely different now and starting to look more like a building.

This evening I am planning to add the brick work (14 courses) to the bottom of the wall and then at the weekend do the same for the two other walls at the east side.

I will post some photos of progress later in the week.

To be honest I have thought a lot about it and know exactly what is required for the job and despite looking at exhibitions and on the internet I have yet to find anything acceptable.

Looking at the pic, the colour temp/rendition suggests to me high pressure sodium lamps, Google "high bay lighting" for some inspiration. Initial thoughts are warm white LEDs, with some sort of clear cast resin moulding for the pendant. You could cast them in one and then paint the ballast and shade appropriately.

Thanks PM, just had a look at High Bay Lighting and that is exactly what I am after. Not sure how to go about it getting some castings done, I will have to do some research nearer the time. I am quite surprised that a model making company/supplier has not brought out something similar to go inside model TMD sheds. Especially with the growing number of layouts which feature depot buildings.

Last night I added the brick work to the bottom of the wall, here are a couple of photos, apologies for the quality!:

The girders were just laid down on top to show how it will look.

DSC01099s.jpg

DSC01097s.jpg

A view of the building in position showing the covered walls:

DSC01100s.jpg

Looks like there is a slight dip in the roof from the shadow! :huh: :( :angry: :blush:

Still hopefully that won’t show once the roof is on…….

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I building the depot on Orchard Road was anything to go by (and is considerably smaller than yours), I got through quite a few packets of Evergreeen 'I' beams and 'H' beams and still have the roof framing to do sometime! Although the Evergreen is a little on the expensive side, I think that the quality is very good. It certainly glues together very well using MekPak.

I have also been looking a various lighting options and can't find anything either, so will be interested to see what you come up with. Although quite effective, I don't think that the LED strips give the right effect for shed lighting pre 1990's (before flourescent stip lighting seemed to become the norm).

Continuing to follow with interest.

Thanks MM, the Evergreen range is very good and I agree that their products are of a high quality standard. The outside will be covered using some of their plastic sheets.

After doing some research it appears that the lighting at Toton was changed around 1990 from fluorescent tube or strip lighting to the current (as Pink Mouse kindly pointed out) high bay version. Will keep you in touch with what I decide as and when I am ready for the lights which will be some time off!

This morning I took a few photos of the inside wall because the previous snaps were not great quality.

IMG_3808s.jpg

IMG_3836s.jpg

IMG_3823s.jpg

IMG_3829s.jpg

IMG_3830s.jpg

• Like 1

For our lights at Kirkhill we use those from Kytes lights. They come complete as a plastic channel with an LED at either end about 3cm long (all wires and resisters included) and we feel do a good representation of flourescent light.

I've attached a couple of photos to show how they look in our buildings:

post-7112-016215000 1289404064_thumb.jpg

post-7112-001392100 1289404293_thumb.jpg

post-7112-049521600 1289404682_thumb.jpg

The wheel lathe photo shows how the lights look in daylight (you'll have considerably more shade in your building). Glenn mounted some in the roof and a couple in the pit. The first photo was taken with dimmed house lights and the lights are at about 4" intervals in the shed roof (as well as in the shed pit). The two overall photos also show the same lights being used in the fuelling points.

• Like 1

Hi there.

I have just found your thread and may i say you have done an astounding job on that depot! I for one will be subscribing to this thread as i live literally 250 yards away from the palce and i see it everyday!! :D (aren't i the lucky one!!)

I have shed loads of pictures on Toton (pardon the pun! :D ) how much are you going to be doing by the way cos i had the crazy notion of doing the whole thing at one time but i have narrowed a few areas of what i am gonna do! i.e. the old highline that goes down by Midland street and the old oil terminal (murphies oil) i have lived around this area for the last 35 years and how the area has changed! The place is now a shadow of what it used to be!

Hopefully by 2015 I will be ready to start accepting locos on shed, and yes no problem…the more grids the merrier! :D

I know what you mean, I keep looking at the Railfeight 58s and 20s and start thinking of how to weather them. It makes me want to make a start on weathering them, you certainly do need some dirty diesels on shed!

You NEED MORE Peaks to make it more Toton like! Class 08s, 20s, 25s, 31s, 44s, 45s, 46, 47s, 56s and a few early class 58s

I have done a model on the bridge that is at the very south end of Toton where the high level goods line used to cross the mainline and that used to pass the front of my Grandparents house. Seriously you have taken on a task that is very very brave, you will need alot of people to operate the whole area if you are going to do it all! How much will you be doing, or have you not decided yet?

Ian

See my thread it is the newrailwaymodellers bit in my signature at the bottom of this message.

Hi Flood thanks for the information on the lights, they certainly do look superb and agree they are just right for fluorescent lighting. I may have to look at using a few of those when I eventually get round to modelling the lathe. After seeing your photos I might now even consider having strip lighting instead!

I do love Aberdeen Kirkhill, when ever I see photos of the depot it reminds me straight away of many a visit passed and to the rear of Bounds Green looking for the Eastfield Large Logo 47s on empty coaching stock. We used to take the train to Bowes Park and walk back to Alexandra Palace station via the rear of the shed in search of locos stabled. On odd occasions you would see a 47 enter Bowes Park just after the 313 had left and then back into the depot with sleeper stock, just like on Kirkhill!

Hi Ian, thanks for the kind comments it is really nice to hear. You certainly are lucky to live so close to the depot, I would love to live nearby!

My plan is to initially just model the depot shed, the stabling roads immediately outside the front of the shed, the fuelling roads to the side and then hopefully a few tracks to the rear of the shed to allow a couple of locos to be stabled. Eventually I would like to have a couple of tracks to the east of the depot to allow trains to trundle passed as if there was a mainline nearby.

Although the latter part of my plan is some way off! To be honest just modelling the shed and having enough room to have the tracks out the front of the shed for stabling requires enough space!

As mentioned before it is not going to be an exact replica of Toton as I do not have unlimited access to the depot and live quite a way away so that is why it is called Boxenby.

The main shed structure was built before I had managed to visit the depot properly so there are some differences but hopefully it will give the feel of a large diesel TMD.

I have to say that I am pleased with progress so far and now that the inside walls are starting to be covered it is beginning to look more like a building and not a wooden structure.

Wow, You must have seen a dramatic change over the past 35 years! It would make a great layout to model the depot and all the yards and the mainline….you would need a very large railway room for that!

Yes my fleet at the moment is rather small and I fear quite a few workings would have to be cancelled as there would be a shortage of traction! That is quite a variety of traction that you mentioned although I only plan to have 45s and not 44s and 46s. I first visited Toton in 1988 and loved all the variety of liveries and traction which is one of the reasons to model that period. Oh and also being a teenager it was quite something to see all those locos in one place, I was very impressed. Quite excited too!

I think the expression is mad not brave! Hopefully I can produce something which resembles Toton and people can see what I have tried to achieve. We shall see…..

I followed the link to the new railway modellers site but got a message saying the page was unavailable, is there a problem with it? Would be very interested to see your layout.

Yesterday the two east walls had white lined plasticard glued in place, hopefully this week the brick work will also be added. Then I can make a start on the wall and buildings at the rear of the shed. Once the brick work is on I will post some photos.

I've run back up to the top of this page in the hope of finding the supplier/reference for those lined sheets you're using on the walls above the brickwork and you didn't say. I don't see anything that immediately matches on the Slaters website - could you let us know?

I am converting a Ratio carriage shed into a freelance modern building. The wooden sides of the Ratio building aren't grained and so look fine as modern metal sheeting but I need something similar inside too and what you are using looks perfect.

HI

Yeah it is lucky living across the road from Toton Sidings i have seen it changed from no end! The foot bridge that went across the main line has now change. The wagon repair shop has now changed the are no lines to it now, most of the sidings has now been pulled up and land sold to someone. and it has now been allowed to grow wildlife there now. for saying how much it has changed now it maybe possible to do an N gauge layout of it. I have sorted out the problem with the link in my signature. I think it is something to do when they changed the site to the new one.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7917

that should work now. The layout is not down yet as it is a bit of a problem being back home at my mums (over the road from Toton!) i have loads of photos of Toton with various loco's on shed and even the original steam shed with 3 turntables and all the buildings. From the pics it looked an impressive sight! The additional thought to my layout when i have it up and running properly it may have over head wires and catenary items (just a thought at the min)

Alex - it might be worth checking to see if anyone does a 4mm downlighter that throws out a sodium orange light spectrum as this would be more representative than the blue light spectrum offered by modern lighting kits.

However, I doubt that anyone actually does one and that the blueish LED's emit more light anyway!

Err...!

Trev :lol:

Hi Ian, the link does indeed work, I have been visiting your site and very impressed I am too. Lovely modelling, I look forward to more progress. Perhaps an N gauge layout would have been a better idea!

Do you have any of your photos of Toton depot online as I would be very interested to see them?

Thanks BigT, luckily I have a little while yet before the lights are required so will have time to do some research and planning. I would like to be able to have the depot lit to allow some night time shots to be taken.

Not sure LEDs will give that nice orange glow!

Hi

The only pics i have are ones i downloaded off the internet If you go on fotopic website and in the search box type Toton you will have a very large selection to choose from! i have got some that were taken by my older brother on my hard drive and i will try and upload them next week to my photobucket website. I'll let you know when they have been done!

Yeah i think you should get at least 3 or 4 peaks to go on shed BR blue is a best time period to work with as there was a very large selction then! Class 08 20 25 31 37 40 44 45 46 47 56 s if you get about 2 or 3 of each you will have a very good replica of the site of Toton! I know your not doing an exact replica but it would be a great base to start with!

Well what fantastic pic's of the depot at night, also the pic's of the 58 and 56 in railfreight red stipe reminded me of just how good they looked. Keep the pic's coming FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy.

Well what fantastic pic's of the depot at night, also the pic's of the 58 and 56 in railfreight red stipe reminded me of just how good they looked. Keep the pic's coming FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy.

I agree.

Hard to think that there are no 58's or 56's running in this country now. A sad state of affairs!

Alex - I think Boxenby could do with some filthy banger blue 31's!! I'' lend you a few! ;)

Hi Ian, many thanks for posting the photos of Toton on your thread I really enjoyed looking at them. Lots of 45s, I really must get a couple of those. I do have an old Mainline one, Tinsley's 106 in green.

Andy, yes the photos of Aberdeen Kirkhill at night are great. I have not seen the layout in the flesh but hope to at some point in the future as it is a superb layout. Great locos weren't they and the red-stripe railfreight livery really suited them. I am hoping that Hornby release a Large Logo one next year.

Hi Big T, yes indeed banger blue 20s, 37s, 45s, 47s and 56s needed as well!....I might take you up on the offer of a couple of dirty banger blue 31s!

The inside of the depot is really starting to look like a TMD now that more of the walls have been covered with plasticard. The west and both east walls are now covered and also the rear wall which sits behind the dead-end roads. This just leaves the short rear wall behind roads 1 to 4 and the long wall at the front which I hope to cover next weekend.

Here are a few photos taken earlier:

Taken from the rear of roads 1 to 4 showing the east walls:

IMG_3839s.jpg

IMG_3861s.jpg

IMG_3859s.jpg

Taken from the front of the shed:

Roads 1 and 2

IMG_3854s.jpg

Looking across the shed

IMG_3848s.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Looking really good - I can't wait to see this finished in 5 years time ready for that big open day! Its nice to see the old railfreight livery - a nice 31 in that wouldn't look bad! From those angles the Heljan 58 doesn't look bad at all - keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Mark

Yesterday I had a little look at the ribbed metal work to go on the sides of the shed and decided to use the metal siding sheet from Evergreen which arrived on Saturday.

DSC01041s.jpg

biggrin.gif

Only just caught up with this detot layout. Very interesting and very well done. Shall watch with interest.

Where did you get the ribbed sheeting for the inside of the sheds from? Dont suppose you know the order code, it looks just right?

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, it is starting to take shape now. Hopefully I can get it finished for the open day! I agree with you about the 31, a nice original railfreight one, once finished would like to model 31102 like it is in this photo by Brian Daniels:

http://www.briandani.../p35200591.html

Would like to replicate this scene:

http://www.briandani.../p25091348.html

Right up my street!

Thanks Noakesy it is coming on now.

classâ€66â€, thanks me too!

Hi Simon, for the inside I used Slaters 4mm lined sheets and for the mock up (will be used on the outside) it was Evergreen but cannot remember which one exactly. I do have the code at home so will have a look and let you know later.