Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks Scott, have you used your new toy yet?!!

Thanks Guy, to be honest I try not to think about it! Still once the depot is finished then I can concentrate on filling it…after visiting the bank manager for a loan to purchase several locos!

Lukasz, I do at times think that it might be a silly idea but now I can see some progress. Hopefully my 60 fleet will enjoy their new home!

Something quite extraordinary happened last week which I definitely had not either expected or planned. Mrs. Grimley suggested bringing my depot in from the garage and housing it in the spare room. Rather superb idea I thought! However this did entail a bit of tidying up but well worth the time and effort!!

What a result!

So here is Boxenby in its new home:

IMG_3923s.jpg

I have made a start on assembling the inspection pits beginning with the one which will sit between roads 5 and 6. Railings and steps need to be added. Here are a few photos of it plonked down in place just to give an idea of how it should look. The class 60 is leaning a little this being due to the pits and the plasticard underneath not being glued down:

IMG_3925s.jpg

IMG_3930s.jpg

IMG_3931s.jpg

Three inspection platforms have now been assembled, here is a photo of two of them in position:

IMG_3934s.jpg

IMG_3937s.jpg

IMG_3935s.jpg

IMG_3942s.jpg

Hopefully over the weekend I can get a few more assembled including the five long ones!!

I can now see a depot coming together……

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mrs. Grimley suggested bringing my depot in from the garage and housing it in the spare room

Oh dear, time to worry! I suspect she's planning or has already been on a shopping trip, you know, new dress, new bag, shoes etc!;)

Have to say this project now is beginning to come together rather well, and the new warm enviroment will hopefully speed things along now. I'll be following with interest, now go and hide her credit cards quick.:D

Looking good Alex,

Careful the move indoors might just be for easier monitoring of how many new locos start arriving on shed. Its an easy argument for us to win though, "But I only bought 1 new engine and you bought 3 tops!" You just have to compare everything on an item by item basis. Looking very good and that new 60 looks very at home there! You'll be wanting a bright red one next!

All the best,

Mark

Robgregson1, to be honest I am amazed at times that I have been so ridiculous as to attempt such a project! :D

Ian, you are not wrong. She has already mentioned a trip to John Lewis! An all day job…..:blink: :huh:

Hopefully now that it is inside I can crack on with it a bit more, good idea will go and retrieve the credit cards now!:lol: :D

Hi Lewis, yes I have thanks, got it on video! Watched it quite a few times, well loads actually and it has been very helpful with my project. Quite interesting too.

You might be right Mark, Mrs. Grimley might become the TOPS controller or depot manager for monitoring loco movements! :lol:

You never know 60011 might just turn up at Boxenby at some point, quite fancy one actually!

Glad that you like it Class66.

This weekend I have assembled the remaining inspection platforms although unfortunately one of them got damaged and unfit for purpose. I had a bit of an accident and glued the middle section on the wrong way round. Ooops! So I will have to have a couple of parts remade and although it is annoying I am quite relieved that that is all that has happened especially considering what could have gone wrong!

Well I am glad that I made the decision to design my own platforms and get the made as kits as they really do look good. I am really pleased especially as the platforms are a main feature of the depot.

Earlier today the last couple of platforms were put on the board inside the shed just to see how it would look. Some of the girders and platforms are not quite vertical and a few adjustments will be made prior to their final placement but you can see the look that I am trying to achieve.

I am very, very pleased with progress and feel that it really is beginning to look like the inside of a TMD even at this stage.

Here are some photos:

IMG_3952s.jpg

IMG_3954s.jpg

IMG_3955s.jpg

IMG_3957s.jpg

IMG_3960s.jpg

IMG_3961s.jpg

IMG_3962s.jpg

IMG_3963s.jpg

IMG_3964s.jpg

IMG_3965s.jpg

IMG_3969s.jpg

IMG_3970s.jpg

This week I hope to assemble the large platform which sits directly behind the dead-end roads and connects the inspection platforms with the rear of the shed allowing access to the offices and stores.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can almost hear and smell all those engines sat in there! Certainly coming on well and I think that you will be able to create the right atmosphere. Great modelling and yes it is a bit mad, but hey, we all are in our ways!

Thanks Trev, I feel now that after quite a while with not much to show for it, I can see it starting to look like the inside of a TMD.

I cannot believe that a year has passed by since I made that mad decision to start this project!

The inspection platforms are really superb and much better than I had ever imagined that they would turn out. I am really, really pleased with them.

As yet I have resisted the temptation to fill up the roads with 60s to see how it looks but I might just have to give in at the weekend……..

Thanks Noakesy, it has changed a bit since I picked up those Peco inspection platforms lasyt year!

Thanks MM, indeed sometimes this madness is required! I am looking forward to seeing the depot filled up with 20s, 31s, 37s, 45s, 47s, 56s and 58s as per the late 80s/early 90s.

Oh and a few shiny new class 60s!!

Hi Porkie, that is something that I have not thought about. I will have to investigate, although that is some way off yet! Not sure if anyone makes depot maintenance staff?

I have to say that Mrs. Grimley has been very, very helpful and at times very patient with my latest obsession so painting figures might be a step too far! I think Location, Location, Location or Grand Designs might come before painting people!! Nice idea though!

Thanks class 66.

Last night I went upstairs to have another look at the depot inspection pits and ended up putting together the large platform which sits directly behind all the dead-end roads. A couple of hours well spent, hopefully tonight I can put it in place to see how it links up with the rest of the inspection platforms.

Will post some photos later.

A couple of unusual visitors at Boxenby today, a pair of DRS 37s! These belong to my eldest son, he wanted to put them in the depot.

Not sure why they were there but I am sure someone must know!

IMG_3979s.jpg

IMG_3986s.jpg

IMG_3988s.jpg

Here are some photos of the large platform which sits to the rear of the dead-end roads:

IMG_3973s.jpg

IMG_3974s.jpg

IMG_3989s.jpg

This shows how the inspection platforms fit together:

IMG_3992s.jpg

Looking down the main platform:

IMG_3996s.jpg

• Like 1

Hiya Mr Grimley,

I'm speechless here...........your masterpiece is really progressing !

While I'm faffing about with the wrong colour paint, you're moving mountains !

I really love the picture of the 60 on it's lonesome in your post of 16th Jan, but think you must surely have the best model of raised platforms ever made ? Well done mate !

Erm, to round off, I have a question for you if you don't mind ?

Which of your Class 60 fleet are you gonna send down to 'The Lane' for our 'fitters' to cut out some bodyside panels ? We have some nice sharp blades.........!!! :biggrin_mini:

I could do some nice bodyside reliveries with the black stuff if you like............oil slick anyone ?

Seriously...........best wishes mate, you're really keeping me inspired here,

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am glad that you like the progress that has been made so far. I am really pleased with the platforms and feel that they have given me lots of motivation as I can see the project moving forward.

It is funny you should mention that as my plan was to have a class 60 with the engine room doors open allowing you to see the engine and also the roof panels open too. So whenever you are ready I can send a nice Brush beast off to the Lane for attention by the fitters!!

Thanks to the excellent service at York Modelmaking the replacement parts for the damaged inspection platform arrived in the post yesterday and last night it was assembled. Phew what a relief, all the platforms have now been built without a major disaster.

Earlier this evening the missing platform was put it in position completing the raised platform area.

Some photos but please bear in mind that the pits, platforms and girders have only just been put down on the board so some are not level or vertical. Oh what fun that is going to be sorting that lot out!

The final inspection platform:

IMG_3999s.jpg

Some photos of the platform in position and a few locos inside:

IMG_3999s.jpg

IMG_4001s.jpg

IMG_4005s.jpg

IMG_4008s.jpg

IMG_4016s.jpg

IMG_4003s.jpg

IMG_4017s.jpg

Now what to do next?……

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Those 3, 60's and the DRS 37's look very nice on shed, can't believe how much you have got done with those platforms really looking very good in place and all the structural beams as well.

Great to see your progress as always and keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Mark