Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks Pete, yes there is a large area to cover both inside and outside of the depot shed!

Might need a few of your inspection platforms! icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif

Thanks BigT, I am sure that I can sort something out to accommodate the running of a Grid on HAAs passed the depot!

Might be a quite some time before it happens though??¦??¦

Good old BR days, it does take you back??¦??¦??¦cool.gif

Can??™t disagree with you Cromptonnut. Guilty! biggrin.gif

Last night we addressed the minor problems and the shed is now ready for gluing together permanently, which hopefully will be done at the weekend. Very pleased with how it has turned out.

60040 came out of its box for the first time yesterday and was used to see how a loco will look inside the shed. It gives a good idea of how it will turn out.

DSC00769s.jpg

DSC00771s.jpg

DSC00772s.jpg

DSC00773s.jpg

DSC00774s.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday we spent a few hours assembling the depot frame which has now been glued and pinned. The cross section supports for the roof will be added later in the week. Once the basic shed has been put together I can then start marking out where the inspection pits will go.

Not much to see just yet but it is starting to come together:

DSC00780s.jpg

DSC00782s.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

More good progress! I've been putting off starting on my Haymarket main shed for some time now and you're putting me to shame!

Can I ask what wood you are using (type and thickness)? It looks like plywood. The structure looks nice and solid, not to mention square, and would be good for Haymarket I think. How are you joining the pieces of wood together - glueing and screwing?

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Grimley, quite a job you've got on there!

I spent a few hours doing something similar, although much more modest, I constructed the shell of my 2 road shed out of 3mm MDF sheet. What are your plans for the roof?

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Hi Dave, sorry! icon_redface.gif icon_mrgreen.gif

No problem, we are using 5.5mm plywood and 8mm square wooden battens. To join the pieces of wood together we are using Evo-Stik Resin W wood glue and then small nails/ tacking pins to hold it. Oh and a few clamps help! I have to say some pieces are very delicate and we were wondering how strong the structure would be but now it is surprisingly solid. Once the roof trusses/cross pieces are in place that will also help to add further strength.

Ian, yes it is, perhaps I should have stuck with Grimley TMD! icon_mrgreen.gif

My original plan was to have the roof completely removable but that may be asking too much, now I think it will just be one of the smaller sections over the four through roads. This will also add strength to the structure if the main part of the roof is permanent. Although not as I had planned, once removed this will still allow you to see inside of the shed and view certain areas. I think I may have the roof over the raised section (roads 13 to 15) as this is where the lifting jacks will be.

The plan for the roof is to use 3mm plasticard sitting on the pieces of wood with the skylights added afterwards. I will have a better idea later in the week once the roof pieces have been added.

Thanks Crisis Rail, yes it is good looking back at those years! biggrin.gif

Last night we managed to do a small amount of work but important never the less. The side piece of the raised roof section was added which has really strengthened the structure.

DSC00784s.jpg

DSC00785s.jpg

DSC00786s.jpg

DSC00787s.jpg

The cross pieces to support the roof will hopefully be added later in the week or at the weekend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we managed to get the roof supports in place for the raised part of the building above roads 13 to 15. The cross pieces (trusses) for the main roof section which spans the four through roads (1 to 4) and the other dead-end roads (5 to 12) will hopefully be added next weekend. These pieces need notching out first before the connecting strands which run from the front to the rear can be added.

This is adding strength to the whole building.

A few photos of progress:

DSC00792s.jpg

DSC00793s.jpg

DSC00797s.jpg

DSC00799s.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Vac_Basher, I agree it is insane! biggrin.gif

Peter, I wish my woodworking skills were as good as my Fathers! icon_redface.gif I have to confess that he has done the majority of the work to which I am very grateful.

The shed is coming on albeit slowly and should start to look a bit better once the rest of the roof structure is in place. Then I need to start working on the metal work inside the shed, this is going to be interesting!

I keep looking through photos of locos inside Toton and want to make more progress, problem is at present it is a tad chilly in the garage??¦??¦.

Thanks J, it will look better once covered in plasticard and painted and weathered. Also once the track and inspection pits have been put down it will give an idea of how it should look once finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite quite a few hours work there is still very little to show for it!

Over the past few days a lot of time has been spent working on the roof which has taken a lot longer than I had expected. But perhaps that is just because I would like it all finished now!

Small channels/grooves have had to be cut out of all the cross pieces in order to allow the long sections that will run from front to rear to sit in place. This whole structure will support the roof. I have to say that I can see light at the end of the tunnel especially after dry fitting some of the long pieces in place yesterday afternoon. It is starting to look like the roof of a building!

Here are a few photos of progress showing the long pieces placed on top to see how it will look when finished. Please excuse the mess! icon_redface.gif

DSC00803s.jpg

DSC00804s.jpg

DSC00805s.jpg

Some slight adjustments will need to be made when the cross pieces are placed in their final positions to make sure that the long pieces are running parallel.

Hopefully next weekend will see more progress.

• Like 2

Saturday I managed to do a bit more woodwork and dry fitted the majority of the roof pieces. A few are missing but will be added during the week. I am nearly at the stage to glue all the pieces on which hopefully if the weather is ok will be done next weekend.

A few photos of progress:

DSC00806s.jpg

DSC00810s.jpg

DSC00815s.jpg

DSC00817s.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Pete, I am planning to cover the roof in plasticard with the skylights made using a brass etch, depending on cost. Going to see if PH Designs can help! biggrin.gif

I agree CromptonNut, totally bonkers! tongue.gif

I am very pleased with how it is progressing and glad that you like it.

Thanks Big Bob, my plan is to have one of the roof sections removable to allow you to see the detailing inside the shed, probably above the four through roads (1 to 4). This should also allow you to see a few of the dead-end roads too. I may also see if it is possible to have the roof above roads 13 to 15 removable so that you can see a loco up on jacks. Come on Bachmann where are those lifting jacks?!!

It is funny as I am planning to use clear plasticard and spray it but hadn’t thought about leaving it so that you could see through! huh.gif

Like I say that is the plan but will have to wait and see when the roof is being added.

It is funny as I am planning to use clear plasticard and spray it but hadn’t thought about leaving it so that you could see through! huh.gif

I'd be tempted to leave lots of large "windows" of clear material in the roof, potentially something like 75% of the surface area. I know in real life they get covered in crap and are therefore not useful at all to look through, but with such a large and impressive depot, I'd want to be able to see inside the shed, and peeking in through the doors, as nice as that will be, won't quite cut it.

The roof should still be removable for other reasons - like attending to detail inside, when it's suffered the attentions of an errant loco. Or rescuing the loco, for that matter...

You can guarantee that a loco will play up in the one place that's hard to reach without damageing anything.

That loco will also be the one with the most details on it that are likely to get snagged, ripped off, bent or scraped as part of the removal process too...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Bloodnok, once I am ready to put the roof on I will look into the options. As mentioned before I have been thinking about the removable roof for a while but until I am ready to actually fit it, it is difficult to see what the possibilities are and how it can be achieved.

You and LNERandBR are correct you just know that something will stop and need a push!

Sods law Cromptonnut!

I have been quite busy with other things over the past couple of weeks and so there has been very little progress made on the shed although a lot of time has been spent on research for other areas of the layout. In particular I have started looking into track and preparing a final plan, as it should not be too long before we are reading to start laying the first sections.

After reading through numerous threads on here, visiting different sites on the internet and talking to Mr. Nevard, I have decided on the track for Boxenby.

00 gauge SMP Bullhead flextrack, Exactoscale concrete sleeper and Peco code 75 points are to be used.

Last week after talking to Martin Wynne and Gordon S, who were very helpful, I have started on a track plan using XTrKCad. A good few hours were spent getting used to the program and then a track plan was produced although it does need amending.

DSC00839s.jpg

Yesterday I spent some time coming up with a final plan in Illustrator which will help me produce a track plan in XTrakCad. Well hopefully! huh.gif

Track-plan-14-Mar-10-simpli.jpg

On Saturday a box of track arrived from SMP and I have to say that I am very impressed. I am not an expert on track but it certainly looks good to me. Yesterday I put a loco on it to get an idea of how it will look:

DSC00848s.jpg

DSC00859s.jpg

DSC00856s.jpg

DSC00852s.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Lewis, yes it is going to take quite a few hours to finish, I am trying nit to think about it either! icon_eek.gif huh.gif

One day……. biggrin.gif

Not much progress has been made on the shed building over the past few weeks due to being busy with other things, which has allowed me to work on the track plan. This has now been finished:

Track-plan-18-Mar-10-ver-2-.gif

Yesterday I managed to spend a couple of hours working on the shed, making a start on assembling the roof supports. The main cross pieces were glued and pinned in position and hopefully later this week the long sections which run from front to rear can also be glued.

This will be a job well done as once the main structure is assembled my plan is to cut out the channels ready for the inspection pits. Looking forward to the clocks going forward as the lighter evenings will allow work to be done when I get in from work!

DSC00866s.jpg

DSC00867s.jpg

This is a quick photo taken to show how the roof will look from the inside:

DSC00865s.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Sorry I have not been in touch with you for ages but I lost track of your new project - I saw the very start of it a while back and then with the naming of your layout thread just missed it completely so use to following your trains on Grimley. All I can say is I am gobsmacked at your progress - I knew this idea was going to be impressive if and when you had chance to biuld it but to see how much you have done already is impressive. I am over a year into building Rannoch now and you'll be finished long before me at this rate. That depot building is some size - a few pages back that shot of 60040 was of an N-gauge loco inside the shed right? (LOL) To see a 60 looking that small inside a shed building will look certainly look good and I don't think I have ever seen anyone else attempt something on this scale before. Those photos from Peter are very good and I can't help but think that recreating that scene of a 45 body being lifted like that inside your shed would be simply amazing. The SMP track and your 60 look very good - I will be interested to see your choice for concrete track as well as I am wanting to find a good solution for my future project but want to stick to 00 as well.

Will enjoy following this now I have found it again!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Alex,

Looking good, I can just imagine a Peak inside the shed looking up at the roof in the background , nice.biggrin.gif Just a thought on access to the shed, would it be possable to lift the whole building or put a hinge down one side. You could lift it up like a car bonnet. wink.gif

Cheers Peter,