Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Mark, you don’t need to apologise I should be saying sorry for not having made more progress and it being a boring thread! huh.gif

To be honest I had hoped to have done more work on it by now but this has not been possible, not sure how long it will take but the lighter evenings will allow me to do some work when I get home.

Alright, I have to come clean it is N gauge! laugh.gif

I am sure there must be another large depot some where, surely I can’t be the only nutter to build something of this size?!!

Yes they are very good photos, I have always wanted to model a loco up on jacks so hopefully this will allow that to happen. But probably a 56 raised up.

I am very pleased with the SMP track and hopefully will be in possession of some Exactoscale concrete sleeper track.

On Sunday I was looking through the shed from rear to front and have to say I am very pleased with it so far although it is difficult to imagine looking at wood! But once covered in plasticard and painted and weathered it should hopefully look good.

Thanks again for the comments.

Hi Peter, I keep seeing your 45 and it really makes me want to get one! Rest assured there will be a few Peaks residing inside Boxenby shed!

As I just mentioned once painted the inside roof should look quite good.

It is funny that you should mention the car bonnet as Grimley Senior suggested a while ago having it on hinges in order to show the inside and allow access. My plan is to have locating lugs at each corner to make it easier to put it in place after removal. I will have to wait and see as my plan is to have the girder supports for the roof as a separate frame made out of brass sections. But like everything until you are at that stage when ready to start work I will just think about it and come up with ideas.

Quite a few hours were spent on both Saturday and Sunday gluing and pinning the different sections in place. I am relieved to have got this finished as I have wanted to get this done for a few weeks. Apart from one piece of wood which I hope to fit either tonight or tomorrow the roof supports are finished, this has been a long job! This now means that the main frame or shed structure, what ever you want to call it is now finished and very sturdy. Will add some photos later.

I have not decided whether to make a start on covering the building in plasticard or to make a start on cutting out the channels for the inspection pits.

One thing I would like to do is to lay out some track with a few locos and see how it looks. If the weather is sunny and dry at the weekend I may try and do it.

Hi

You could use a Mainline model of a 45 and model it as 45012 which resided at toton(which Boxenby is so similar to)in its stored condition on a dead end siding. ;)

Or a visiting preserved member :)

Just an idea,also what era is the depot based around-post privatisation EWS or BR blue?

Regards

Lewis

Hi Lewis, a good idea for a future project, many years in the future me thinks! biggrin.gif

Wouldn’t mind a model of 45112 to have running with my present day fleet.

To start off with I will be modelling EWS/DB over the past few years due to the majority of my stock being for this period, but my plan is to model it set between 1988 and 1992.

Hi BigT, in a word No! I used to have a lot of Lima, Mainline and Hornby stock which would have been perfect but when the newer improved higher spec models came out I started getting rid of them. All they were doing was sitting in their boxes so didn’t see the point of keeping them. Had about 35 Grids with the majority being Large Logo, Railfreight, Red-stripe Railfreight and Triple Grey, just the job for Boxenby.

Now all I have is three Bachmann choppers, not much to fill it up with! The doors will have to be kept shut so that you can’t see that the shed is empty! icon_mrgreen.gif

The Grimley deficit will be reaching levels similar to the UKs in order to get enough stock to fill the inside and stabling sidings! laugh.gif

Last night I took a couple of photos:

DSC00873s.jpg

This taken from the rear looking in towards the front:

DSC00875s.jpg

Just noticed a kink in one of the battens! icon_redface.gif

Will try and take some photos of a few locos sitting inside the shed if the weather permits over the weekend.

• Like 2

Yesterday I picked up some concrete sleeper track from Exactoscale and have to say that I am very impressed and very pleased with it. Tested it out by sitting a couple of locos on it and have to say that the track does look very good.

Here are a few photos taken earlier:

DSC00890s.jpg

DSC00899s.jpg

DSC00904s.jpg

DSC00906s.jpg

More wood work was carried out this morning with the last pieces of wood added. Hopefully photos of some locos on shed tomorrow, weather permitting!

• Like 5

Hi Alex,

Not sure I have seen this track before with concrete sleepers anyway. I have seen the intercity models contrete sleeper with the Costain branding which I thought was very good. Yours also looks to be very good as well with the wider sleeper spacing should look really good once bedded in and more space for weeds and clutter amongst the track work as well. One thing I can't see from the photos is the type of chairs present as in the future I will really need to have the more modern style pandrol clips represented for main line standards. Those 60's look good as well by the way.

Keep up the good work,

thanks,

Mark

The Exactoscale track really is nice isn't it! I got some OO stuff when I ordered my P4 bits - just to have a play.

Mark - the website is here: http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/4mmtrack.html but I can't see any info on the type of concrete track. There are PDFs for other components but not the Fast-track. I'm sure there is a more knowledgeable person who could help though? Perhaps Jim SW or the Fatadder?

Hi Alex,

Not sure I have seen this track before with concrete sleepers anyway. I have seen the intercity models contrete sleeper with the Costain branding which I thought was very good. Yours also looks to be very good as well with the wider sleeper spacing should look really good once bedded in and more space for weeds and clutter amongst the track work as well. One thing I can't see from the photos is the type of chairs present as in the future I will really need to have the more modern style pandrol clips represented for main line standards. Those 60's look good as well by the way.

Keep up the good work,

thanks,

Mark

The Exactoscale track really is nice isn't it! I got some OO stuff when I ordered my P4 bits - just to have a play.

Mark - the website is here: http://www.exactosca...k/4mmtrack.html but I can't see any info on the type of concrete track. There are PDFs for other components but not the Fast-track. I'm sure there is a more knowledgeable person who could help though? Perhaps Jim SW or the Fatadder?

Mark

The Costain track sold by Intercity models is the same thing as James has posted pictures of, its all made by Exactoscale. The sleepers have moulded pandrol clips and not chairs so are more than acceptable for modern day usage. They are not 100% accurate prototypically but are as near enough as I think we're going to get for a long time to come I think, unless you go down the Colin Craig FB S&C. I tend to order mine from Wizard Models they have a little blurb about the track on their website (personal prefernce other distributors are available.)

Not sure if these help anyone - from my workbench blog. A comparison between Exactoscale OO flatbottom concrete, Peco Code 100, Exactoscale OO bullhead wooden and Exactoscale P4 bullhead wooden sleepered.

gallery_6671_16_299552.jpg

gallery_6671_16_493887.jpg

The concrete sleepers have 'COSTAIN' moulded into them - in random directions. The track is self assemble in that a web of 8 sleepers is threaded onto the rail at a time.

• Like 2

Dave/James,

Thanks very much for the info and photos for comparison. My next project is a little way off but I want to get it right as it will be quite a big project and is planned to take a number of years to complete so as I see things I am trying to get as much knowledge as possible as it will make a difference.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, I too have spent some time researching the different track options and although I would love to model in P4, as mentioned before my skills and knowledge don’t really allow that! Also time for modelling is already limited so not sure that I could find the extra hours needed to make the track myself, but may be one day in the future. Your new project sounds interesting!

James, you are right the track is very nice and once ballasted and weathered will look more than acceptable to me. It was your comparison photos which helped make up my mind so thanks!

Thanks for the info Dave, I am not an expert on track so it is nice to know that this is acceptable. At the end of the day we have to make compromises at times and I feel that this allows me to have some track that not only looks good in appearance but also allows me to not have to re-wheel all my stock.

This afternoon the weather finally brightened up allowing me to set up Boxenby outside for a few photos.

You can see that there are some gaps at the front of the shed roof, I ran out of wood! Hopefully I can pick up some more on Tuesday and get the last few pieces added.

Here it is with some track put down, it does look a little strange inside as there should be inspection pits and not sleepers but you get the idea!

DPP_0400s.jpg

DPP_0403s-1.jpg

Now with a few locos on shed:

DPP_0405s-1.jpg

DPP_0404s-1.jpg

DPP_0406s-1.jpg

Locos inside:

DPP_0407s.jpg

DPP_0408s.jpg

Looking from the rear of roads 1 to 4 to the front of the shed:

DPP_0409s.jpg

Looking from roads 1 to 15:

DPP_0408s.jpg

And from road 15 to 1:

DPP_0410s.jpg

Now I just need to get it covered!

• Like 1

Looks very good Alex careful or you will get Simon jealous with all those 60's

Are you going to mount the building at rail top height or as it is now and build up the floor to rail top level?

Pete

30 and counting......!!!!!wink.gif

Simon

Yellowvanman, it is starting to come together now and feel that there is now something to show for it. It will look much better once the inspection pits are in place.

Thanks Pete, yes the concrete floor will be raised up to the same height as the top of the rail just like the inside of Grimley shed. The shed building will then sit on top of the floor.

Thanks Scott. It was nice to get it set up outside of the garage, the next step will be to put the other board next to it. In the end I only got eight locos out as I was worried that there might be a rain shower!

Thanks Danny, I have often thought that!

Great stuff Alex, only met you once and you didnt come across as 'mad' then but something must have happened because this is bonkers !! LOL !!

I would put your order in for the Express yard tower lights now ! 5+ should do it !!

Keep going mate, you can already see this is going to be a breath taker at exihibitions in the future.

• RMweb Gold

I think that most modellers are mad, but you really take the trophy! Absolutely fantastic!!! I've been following for some weeks now and everytime you get a bit more done, it becomes even more impressive. Very well done. I don't think that many people would have the courage to take such a project on, so you should feel very proud to get the shed looking so good already and not even started on the cladding!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks Peter. You are not wrong, I certainly do need more locos but that will have to wait a while yet. I meant to get out my three choppers on Sunday whilst the layout was outside but forgot. Thought you might appreciate it, will try and take some another time.

Thanks Chris, there is definitely more space in there than inside Grimley shed!

Yes it certainly does allow for a lot of detail, I just hope I can do it justice!

Hi Jon, how looks can be deceptive! To be honest I have always been a bit mad……

Yes I had planned to have a couple of those towers as they do really look good, just what is required. Not sure if I need four or five out the front?

I am not sure that my modelling is up to exhibition standard, perhaps acceptable for the back garden!

Hi Mudmagnet, you are right most modellers are mad and I am sure that there are far worse cases than me! Thanks, it is now at a stage where there is something to see, for a good few weeks despite hours of work I couldn’t see much progress. But now it is starting to take shape and you get an idea of how it will look. Glad that you like it.

I have been thinking about the cladding and need to investigate if it is possible to get bigger sheets of plasticard than A4 as I do need quite a few!