Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Alex,

Those shots in the garden look fantastic - you get a real idea of the scale of it all with those fine looking 60's along the front! Just imagine how loud this layout will be with several sound fitted locos idling on the shed area! I am still amazed at your progress - it is going to be a great layout!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I need a bigger garage to allow both boards to be put together!!

Not sure how it would sound with lots of sound fitted locos idling away, would like to try it though! 20s, 31s, 37s, 45s, 47s, 56s and 58s all running……Nice! cool.gif

After recently seeing members BR Blue and Railfreight locos on RMWeb it made me want to see how Boxenby would look back in time. As the original plan is to model the period between 1988 and 1992 I thought a couple of 20s and 37s would do the trick. So tonight out came the few locos that do I have for this period to see how it will look.

A few photos:

DPP_0420s.jpg

DPP_0422s-1.jpg

DPP_0423s-1.jpg

DSC00908s.jpg

DSC00909s.jpg

DSC00916s.jpg

DSC00927s.jpg

Problem is now I want to go on a spending spree! biggrin.gif

I must stay strong as any spare cash is needed for the layout……

• Like 1

Hi Grimley,

I agree it must be hard not to go out and buy some nice BR blue. But at least you have made a start, I can just imagine those 20s and 37s ticking over, oh how I misss that smell of diesel. Have you thought about a smoke unit or two for inside the shed a bit of smoke swirling around those 20s would look cool.cool.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Crackers!

Mental!

Loopy!

Bananas!

Insane!

Nutty!

Batty!

Barmy!

Bonkers!

Potty!

Love it!

Hi Alex,

I've just seen the shots taken in the garden and can only support Trains4U's comment. It was only after seeing those shots that I really realised just how big this is going to be. Mad but brilliant! It's looking good so far, too.

Cheers,

Dave

Hiya Mr Grimley !

Two Words..........FLAMIN NORA!

What a completely fantastic bit of work............and all of those 60's too, right up my er......alley ! Makes my fleet of 9 x 60's look a little bit slim..........

The garden pictures are best of course, so I'm told, for the natural daylight they give you, something I'll be doing one day I hope.....

Now following this with interest........I just wish I had the time to do more on my project, but every time I sit down, Mrs Shedmaster finds me a job to do ! rolleyes.gif

Best of luck, thanks for the inspiration........

Dave

YVM: Not sure I can afford enough locos to fill the depot and stabling sidings let alone all fitted with sound chips! biggrin.gif

Thanks Gareth, I agree!

I will be in touch shortly about some Peco inspection pits! huh.gif

Hi Peter, it is very difficult especially now that the models are far superior to those that I had when modelling back in the mid to late 80s. Good idea although I am not sure how realistic it would look!

Thanks Dave, it is coming on. To be honest I am not entirely sure that I have realised yet how big this is going to be!laugh.gif

Glad you like it Shedmaster not quite in the same league as your buildings though!

I know the feeling although I try to run away before Mrs. Grimley starts talking jobs!biggrin.gif

The other week whilst searching for something on fotopic came across this photo from Brian Daniels’ excellent site:

http://briandaniels..../p25091348.html

If I can recreate this sort of scene then I will be very happy!

I managed to do a bit of work over the past few days starting on the inspection pits, although as yet I only have six of them to work with. My idea was to construct two inspection pits, one long one which will represent those from the four through roads (1 to 4) and a shorter version for the dead-end roads (5 to 15). These would then be used to help check the channels once the wood has been cut.

Here are the inspection pits:

DSC00929s.jpg

DSC00931s.jpg

Now that the basic shed frame has been built it was time to switch to board 1 which is the one where the depot will sit on. I then marked out in pencil where the inspection pits were to go ready for the channels to be cut.

DSC00933s.jpg

Yesterday afternoon/evening I cut out the channels for the dead-end roads:

DSC00935s.jpg

DSC00939s.jpg

DSC00940s.jpg

Hopefully at the weekend I can cut out the four through roads but first I am going to add some pieces of wood between the inspection pits for extra support.

• Like 1

No problem Dave glad it has been of interest. Good luck with installing your inspection pits, I look forward to seeing the results.

Quite a productive weekend, I managed to cut out the channels for the four through roads and also added the supporting battens underneath.

DSC00941s.jpg

DSC00946s.jpg

Here you can see all the channels ready for the inspection pits:

DSC00948s.jpg

As mentioned in a previous post at present I just have two inspection pits, one example for each of the dead-end and through roads. The rest will be purchased once the bank loan has been approved!

DSC00950s.jpg

I took a few photos of some locos inside the building on the inspection pits:

DSC00954s.jpg

DSC00957s.jpg

DSC00962s.jpg

DSC00965s.jpg

DSC00966s.jpg

IMG_3113s.jpg

My plan now is to start work on the cosmetic look of the main building.

• Like 1

Epic.

Love this build, it's just a TMD excess fest! The shots showing the frame work of the shed roof always look amazing to me. Stocking that is going to be difficult and ££££!

Good luck and i'll be watching with interest (I like the idea of a large shed to attach to a layout when i build one but even my warped imagination can't come up with something that impressive)

Thanks SG, it has taken a lot of hard work and frustration to get the roof framework finished so thanks for the kind comments. Worth it in the end although at the time it did get me a little annoyed and made me wonder what on earth I was doing!

Yes it will be expensive to get the stock required to model it like a real TMD of that size but luckily enough that is a few years away!

Good idea, my plan is eventually to have a mainline running along the side of the depot but will have retired by then! Still at least then I could buy a property with the space to accommodate a layout of that size, an old farm house with a barn conversion may be. Not sure if Mrs. Grimley would be very pleased!

Thanks Mudmagnet, that is what I thought. After a few months of hard graft it is good to get an idea of how it will look, albeit without all the inspection pits, walkways, girders etc.

Hi Baggie, yes I am although it is on a slightly larger scale than Grimley!

Roads 5 to 12 will have 1/1.5 tonne overhead cranes with a heavier one spanning roads 13 to 15. The latter three roads will also accommodate the lifting jacks.

I thought Bachmann’s lifting jacks would have been out by now!

Thanks SG, it has taken a lot of hard work and frustration to get the roof framework finished so thanks for the kind comments. Worth it in the end although at the time it did get me a little annoyed and made me wonder what on earth I was doing!

Yes it will be expensive to get the stock required to model it like a real TMD of that size but luckily enough that is a few years away!

Good idea, my plan is eventually to have a mainline running along the side of the depot but will have retired by then! Still at least then I could buy a property with the space to accommodate a layout of that size, an old farm house with a barn conversion may be. Not sure if Mrs. Grimley would be very pleased!

Thanks Mudmagnet, that is what I thought. After a few months of hard graft it is good to get an idea of how it will look, albeit without all the inspection pits, walkways, girders etc.

Hi Baggie, yes I am although it is on a slightly larger scale than Grimley!

Roads 5 to 12 will have 1/1.5 tonne overhead cranes with a heavier one spanning roads 13 to 15. The latter three roads will also accommodate the lifting jacks.

I thought Bachmann’s lifting jacks would have been out by now!

Hiya,

I've had the Bachmann lifting jacks on order for some time, from what I saw at Ally Pally, they are 'poseable', which could make them interesting.

Can I ask what overhead gantry cranes you hope to use ? I can tell you the Cornerstone ones are exceptionally huge and am left unsure where to go for my particular needs.....

If you get stuck for concrete effect finishing, please let me know as a friend on here has identified a product that will do the job..........only, it won't last forever as I think they won't be making it for long now.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks Graham glad that you like it so far.

Thanks Pinkmouse I am going to need it! I plan to cover the plywood with plasticard as per the inside of Grimley depot:

IMG_2512s.jpg

IMG_2525s.jpg

This time though I plan to first of all cover the plasticard in Plasti-Kote Suede Touch spray paint as per Jim S-W’s excellent concrete method and then weather it.

Hi Dave, I have been looking forward to the lifting jacks for a while. Hopefully it won’t be too much longer although not sure why I say that as I am nowhere near ready for them!

To be honest I haven’t given any thought to the overhead gantry cranes so as yet do not have any plans but will certainly let you know when I start researching.

Thanks Dave will let you know, as I just mentioned my plan is to use plasticard but will see. At the moment I am going to concentrate on the building and in particular the inside so the concrete area will be a while off.

• Like 2

The last few days have been spent researching the inside of the depot, in particular the inspection pit and raised platform areas of roads 5 to 15 and the iron work which supports the roof.

The through roads 1 to 4 have the concrete level with the top of the rail and this is the same for the dead-end roads except where the inspection platforms are present.

Through roads

http://david6769.fot.../p16671546.html

Dead-end roads; here you can see the concrete slopes down by the yellow railings to allow depot personnel to walk under the platforms.

http://david6769.fot.../p16920389.html

This shot you can see that the floor is lower to the right of 60058:

http://david6769.fot.../p16673395.html

Again you can see the floor sloping down: (photo 1199-007.jpg)

http://keithmiller.f...t/c1450908.html 1199-007.jpg

Changes will now have to be made to accommodate the lower floor. Although I was aware of this I wanted to first of all get the channels for the inspection pits marked and cut out before coming up with the final plan. Some roads have inspection platforms which run the full length whereas others only just over a locos length. More on this later in the week.

In the second link above you can see the vertical girders which support the roof and this iron work is what I have been looking into over the past few days. I have now come up with the dimensions for the I and H sections which will be used inside the depot. My plan is to build a frame using I and H sections joined together with strips all made out of brass which will not only be nice and stable but will also add support to the wooden structure.

Yesterday I purchased some Plastruct I and H sections to get an idea of how this will look.

This is the I section which sits between roads 12 and 13 where the higher part of the building starts:

DSC00969s.jpg

Here you can see the I section on the right and H section on the left:

DSC00968s.jpg

Finally a few in place to see how it will look although hopefully not as wonky when the real ones are in place!

DSC00972s.jpg

im sure a man of your calibre will do just fine at doing this justice,

Its huge mmmmmmmmm if only i had the space mmmmm second thoughts if only i was aloud to lol

i imagine this will be a very intersting layout when "finished"

just the shed is a peice of art in its own right

keep up the great work:)

kye

im sure a man of your calibre will do just fine at doing this justice,

Its huge mmmmmmmmm if only i had the space mmmmm second thoughts if only i was aloud to lol

i imagine this will be a very intersting layout when "finished"

just the shed is a peice of art in its own right

keep up the great work:)

kye

Not sure about that!

Mrs. Grimley still keeps asking where I am going to keep it!!

The shed will look much better once covered in plasticard but I am still pleased with it so far.

Graham, yes as you say it is a very useful site especially for depot pics. It is good that fotopic is now running properly and allowing searches again!

My research into the inspection pit area has continued over the past few days and I think that I have now come up with a plan for the lower floor. Hopefully this weekend I can make the changes.

Is there going to be a National shortage of Peco inspection kits soon, looking at how

many you may need!!!

Great model and I think the track looks good, just wish I had considered using something

other than Peco on my layout....It's worth the effect!

cheers

Keith