Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold

The shed walls are coming together well. The Evergreen sheets look very good - the quality of all their sheets I have always found to be very good.

Getting the colours correct on the brick work takes some practice and useful to have a few photos to work from.

Where do the loco jacks come from? I've seen these elsewhere, but can't seem to find who supplies these.

Hi Alex,

Those two 60's look superb as always - I think your shed would look great just full of 60's and a few 56's for good measure as well! The lifting jacks are very well done by Bachmann - I might have to pick up a pack for myself when I see some. At some point I will be running my new rake of green BP tanks with a suitable 60 on Rannoch haing just picked them up from Morecambe yesterday! Just thought I would share with you the paint colours I use for brickwork in case its of any use to you. I have also reversed my painting method which I did during the platform faces as it seems to give me better results with slightly less work.

I have taken to painting the plastic brick sheet using railmatch acrylic concrete colour paint as this seems to go on in one coat fairly well for me over the entire section being painted. Leave this to dry overnight seems best as it goes off completely. I then use 3 enamel shades for the brickwork - Revell Matt 37 which is a nice dull red shade and this is used as my main base colour - using a nice flat brush this is dry brushed on at a 45 degree angle corner to corner on the bricks as this helps keep the brush from only touching the faces of the bricks and keeping the mortar clean. I then use Humbrol Matt 62 a quite bright orange brown shade out of the tin this is used to pick out some highlight bricks and create some texture to the shades. I use a small brush and paint individual bricks neat for this. Do as many or little as you want. Since changing to this method I then use Revell Matt 83 which I dry brush on again to darken patches as this is a nice dull brown colour to help age and tone down the brick work. From this point you can then use andy dirty brown, black and green shades to weather the brickwork - I use tamiya acrylics for this just because I have some in but anything will do to create the effect you want.

I use to paint the brickwork first using the enamels and then when dry ran some water over the surface before dabbing in the concrete acrylic shades - this works well to tone down brickwork but sometimes left the surface too white washed and pale and then I had to go over some bricks again to bring out some colour. Doing it this way works well on stone cast structures though.

It is probably worth trying out a few methods and match colours from photographs as once you find the shades you like it is best to stick with these on all the related structures any offices etc or brick bases around fuel tanks as it will help create continuity and that extra realism throughout which your finished layout will have!

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mark, I have used a similar method for painting the brickwork that you use - and have found that this works well for me. I've had similar 'problems' with washing the mortar colour in afterwards. However, not so bad on 7mm brickwork, probably to do with the deeper profile. I will stick with the 'dry-brushing' method for 4mm in future. It also gives a better overall colour finish as various shades can be built up and prevents the 'picked-out-colour' look that you sometimes see - i.e. this method allows variation in colour over the whole wall which seems to be much more realistic. As all ways - work from a few photos. Acrylics or weathering powders can then be used for weathering.

Grimley - sorry missed your comment that these were Bachmann jacks - my own set arrived this morning. These look great in the flesh - a well recommended item!

Many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, much appreciated.

Satan’s Goldfish, Trains4U is an excellent shop and I can thoroughly recommend them. It wasn’t a problem as Gareth knows that I am mad!

Thanks Gareth I look forward to their arrival! Should look good with all the inspection pits in place, better get some glue!

BigT, slowly! But progress is being made. Once the inspection pits have arrived that will make a difference.

You are right Paul it does look a bit bare! As yet I am undecided on what to use to cover the board. My initial plan was to cover it in plasticard but Grimley senior has now suggested some grout which he has recently used. This would certainly be easier and cheaper so will now experiment with it to see. I do quite like the grout idea as in certain areas the floor slopes to allow water etc. to drain away into the drains which would be easier to model this way. So along with the long running drains there are metal sheets, manhole covers, hatches and joins in the concrete.

Thanks Northants PC glad that you think so. Hopefully one day it will have Large Logo, BR Blue, Triple grey, Original and Red-stripe Railfreight 56s and a few newly delivered 60s.

Glad that you like the lifting jacks Mudmagnet, they certainly are a nice model and a great addition. I agree with you I think they will prove extremely popular.

I look forward to seeing a 60 at Rannoch on your BP tankers, are they TEAs or TTAs? Wouldn’t mind a rake of the BP TEAs but I think they only really run in Scotland now. A nice Petroleum 60 will do the job perfectly! Now that will look superb crossing your excellent viaduct. If you get any gen on when a 60 will be working let me know as I don’t have a shot of a 60 on tanks at Rannoch!!

Yes Bachmann have done a good job on them, I think a 60 up on jacks is definitely on the cards!

Thanks Mark and Mudmagnet for the help and suggestions for painting the bricks, very helpful. I have bought some paints and when I am ready I will experiment using your suggested techniques and working from my photos. Hope I can get it looking alright!

Well yesterday it was back to woodwork and attention turning to the buildings at the rear of the inside. There are three buildings; the tool stores, manager’s offices and another one which I do not know what that is for.

Here they are just put down on the board:

IMG_3438s.jpg

IMG_3439s.jpg

The tall wall at the rear extends 20 to 25mm too far to the right so it is not correct. Unfortunately when the building was made several months ago I was not aware of exactly where the lower section started and now it is not possible to make the change as this is now part of the main construction. Still there we go!

Recently I have been lucky enough to pay a visit to the real thing which has helped me enormously. Now I have a much better understanding of the depot which will certainly help in the future.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've used the tile grout for concrete / ground cover, plus for making stonework on my bridge. The grout can be carved once hardened, but needs to be slightly wetted with water to soften sufficiently to be carved. Can also be sanded smooth quite well. Also, can be bought cheaply from the DIY sheds!

WOW Grimely :O only just noticed this layout topic and woah, im amazed at the size of this project and the progress you have already made, such a massive area to detail and a hard prototype to follow. Brilliant work so far the main structure looks superb, your woodwork skills are top notch buddy B) you must be dreading forking out for all those Tower lights! :lol: Your Weathered 60's really do the depot justice ;)

looking forward to more progress shots :D

Thanks for the information Mudmagnet. The more I think about it, the more it makes me lean towards the tile grout especially as I have quite a large area to cover. Also some parts are a little tricky so using the grout would certainly make it easier.

Thanks M_M, glad that you like it. I have to confess that Grimley Senior has helped me a lot and must take credit for the woodwork!

Yes it looks like I may need 5 of the tower lights out the front of the shed, still at least it will be a while before I need them!

On Saturday I picked up these from Trains4U, many thanks Gareth!

DSC01071s.jpg

Yesterday I got them out of the packaging ready to put them together.

DSC01072s.jpg

DSC01075s.jpg

Guess what I am going to be doing for the next few evenings?!!!!

• Like 3

Alex

At least you will have plenty of clear plastic for the shed windows.

Make sure that you have a window open when you glue those pits together with MEK.

It will be good to see your progress pictures.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

That's a lot of bits there! Will certainly keep you busy for a while! I think that the worst job will be threading the rail through the plastic chairs. Are you going to fit any LED's into the pits?

• RMweb Gold

That's a lot of bits there! Will certainly keep you busy for a while! I think that the worst job will be threading the rail through the plastic chairs. Are you going to fit any LED's into the pits?

Nah! that's photos from the PECO packing department. biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Good idea Pete! I will be putting them together in the garage as Mrs. Grimely won’t allow me to use the garden table! angry.gif

Thanks Neil.

M_M, yes there certainly are a few! To be perfectly honest I did think about it very early on and pondered how and what was required for it but now I do not plan to install lights in the pits. If it was a smaller depot I might be tempted and although it would look very good, to have lights in all the 11 pits is just a bit too much for me. Am I just being a bit boring?!! biggrin.gif

Sorry Paul, I had hoped no-one would notice! tongue.gif

You are not wrong Jack, filing the ends after removing the plastic mould parts (sorry can’t remember what you call them again!) has been interesting. You then realise how many there are!huh.gif

I have been quite busy this week so have not had much time for inspection pits although I estimate that 2/3rds of them have been filed. This evening I plan to file the rest of them and make a start on putting them together. Hopefully this weekend I can get them all glued together and in place. Hopefully it should look quite good.

This is going to be quality when its done Alex!

I don't envy you with all those pits to put together!!

Hopefully BigT. Me neither, it is a silly idea! tongue.gif

Last night I finished off the filing and made a start on putting them together. In the end I managed to get four of the shorter ones glued together (those for the dead-end roads), so all in all a good evenings work. Now that just leaves five of the those left to do and three of the longer ones which hopefully I can get done over the weekend.

Hi Mr Grimley,

Just checked back into this thread and very much loving your project......definately an inspiration for doing things properly.

Can you please NOT go out and drain the stores of plastic glue though, as I still have some pits down here that need gluing !

I also want to see a Class 60 'in the air' but think the Bachmann jacks will need some work to achieve this......

I'm sending this one down to you for when you are able to return it to traffic for me.....:

post-7088-127874766795_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127874767488_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks,

Dave biggrin.gif

• Like 4