Irish O Gauge

Andy Evans

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing available RTR Andy

There was an 071 KIT available for a short time, HK075, made by Hells Kitchen models from Wolverhampton

McGowan did some Steam Kits and that was it

Lima had a 4F in CIE 

I have some scratch built Brass locos, A Class, C Class 141. 121, Turf-burner & a Hunslet made from Plasticard

There are a few lads in my club, The MRSI in Dublin, who make O gauge stuff but its mostly British Outline steam

Hi,

The only thing I know of is that Allen Doherty (Worsley Works) lists a CIE  Deutz "G" class diesel shunter body kit in 7mm; IYou'd have source a suitable chassis/motor. 

Indeed, i can't recall seeing a diesel outline "0" gauge Irish layout - except for the Fry railway exhibition in Dublin.

Colm

• 1 month later...

Indeed, i can't recall seeing a diesel outline "0" gauge Irish layout - except for the Fry railway exhibition in Dublin.

Colm

There was one at the Inchicore open day many years ago, 1995 was it?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't Alphagraphix produce a card model of a 141?

They're also producing etched Irish steam loco kits in 7mm scale.

The brass loco and coach kits are marketed by Alphagraphix as Tyrconnel Models mainly locos & coaches used in West Cork. David Holman's SLNCR blog includes models by Alphagraphix & North Star now SSM. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/blog.php

Leaves me severely tempted to give up the 4mm stuff.

• 1 month later...

Did I see somewhere a MGWR J26 in O gauge? I know there was a OO kit, but maybe O as well?

There's one in the Tyrconnel Models range in 7mm, which are produced and/or distributed by Roger Cromblehome under his Alphagraphix banner. One appears in a thread over on Irish Railway Modeller, and it looks, as does everything else on the builder's layout, les boules des chiens. It does not however provide bits for doing the Waterford & Tramore modifications.

Usual etched brass construction with a pretty straightforward fold-up rigid chassis which is easily hacked for springing. If a bit on the basic side, this is offset by an excellent price.

There are also other locos in the range, all steamers, using similar methods, and all are tank locos. Also some coaches, again at excellent prices. 32mm or 36.75mm gauge can be accomodated.

Historically, I think (?) that Terry McDermott may have done the E/J26 in 7mm under his early TMD or SSM banners, as he did do this with many other locos in his range at that time, so an email to Des Sullivan -  who now owns SSM and has posted above as Weshty - might illuminate.

• 4 months later...

Those photos of the locos sure bring back memories, I spent a couple of hours spell-bound at my first model railway exhibition watching some faultless operation as Harry shunted a large collection of hand built cattle wagons and non-passenger coaching stock with a pair of his GNR tank locos.

Harry Connaughton was a real gentleman and professional builder back in the early 1970s.

At one stage there was a large display of his locos and stock in Southern Model Railways in the Grafton Arcade, a hand built 4mm locos..

Some of the locos including the GNR tank locos appear to have been built in batches, in additional to the GNR locos and he also completed a large commission of ex-MGWR locos for Canon Nicholson in Portarlington.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers Ernie

Anyone who has seen them, particularly the O Gauge lads in the MRSI, have been knocked out by their quality

They were particularly impressed by the level of detail on both locos

Both ran faultlessly at their first time of asking

Just waiting now for "Hazlewood" plates from Des Sullivan at Studio Scale Models

P1010714-1.jpg

Archived