Advances in Electronic Publishing

autocoach

Steve and Andy

I hope you have had an opportunity to see the new format for the US Model Railroad Hobbyist January edition. It is the first time I have truly enjoyed reading an electronic magazine publication. Granted they do not have to support a paper version, subscription services, and an audience that is not highly receptive to change. (I know the demographics of the hobby. I am almost 70 but then I have worked in software since the early 1970's and change is just the normal way of life.)

The pages flowed fast and well. There were no page sizing problems (and I am using a Windows 7 PC with an old fashioned 4x3 ratio monitor.)

I get British Railway Modelling, Hornby and now Railway Modeller electronic additions and all need to somehow re-work/ret-think the electronic versions to take advantage of capabilities the non-print media affords.

Hopefully someone out there is working on a software solution that will automatically reformat traditional paper publications to electronic media.

best

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that, it certainly works well and there are lessons therein. I'll be honest and say it would mean increased workload/resources to re-format a traditional mag into that format (more pages, restructuring of text/images) but perfectly do-able if it were being designed from the ground up. If it were designed from a brand-new starting point there are certainly things I'd do differently (landscape format / single page) but the interactive elements are sound and there's a lot more that could be done with content.

At which point I have to shut up. ;)

Something I'm very surprised about, from a reader and an advertising revenue point of view, is the e-magazines don't have clickable website links in the advertising sections.

Reading the latest issue of BRM on my iPad last night I saw an advert I wanted more info from, but because I couldn't just click the advert and go direct to the company website I carried on reading, and now can't remember what the advert was for!

How difficult would it be for the people who create the e-mags to add in clickable website links for adverts in exchange for an increase in the advertising cost the company pays to the magazine? And is this feature a feasible addition?

Mark

Archived