spray varnish

Experimented yesterday, found a large tin of Wilkinson's mat acrylic varnish, coated my latest building (a watertower) and it covered fine, dried quickly, nice mat finish which takes watercolours and ground pastels for weathering well.

I applied it with a large soft brush, it was a bit scary as it goes on a milky white colour, but soon dries clear, It also works through he airbush with a bit of thinning (water) but its too cold in my shed for that.

Just be carefull using a water based product to seal a water based ink.

I'm glad I stuck to my old trusty HP 1317, genuine cartridges for it are no way that expensive!  £116.92 is well up on the ouch factor scale, at a price such as that I would imagine the feeling of pain to be on par with getting a swift kick in the b@llocks

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad I stuck to my old trusty HP 1317, genuine cartridges for it are no way that expensive!  £116.92 is well up on the ouch factor scale, at a price such as that I would imagine the feeling of pain to be on par with getting a swift kick in the b@llocks

It's an Epson photo printer with 8 painfully small cartridges that need replacing frequently. A couple of nozzle cleaning runs and bingo!

That's why I use (most recently) Jet Tec clone cartridges at a fraction of the price. They are even slightly larger capacity than originals.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Keith does this printer have a white cartridge?

Dave

Don't think so. One of the cartridges is called "gloss optimizer" Mind you it is cheaper than the others, so maybe it's just a clear gloss coating or suchlike.

The others are: Matt black, Gloss black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Easy answer to all the problems mentioned in this topic is to use a personal colour laser printer.

I've had mine for at least 5 years, never replaced the toner, it doesn't dry out, and the prints don't run or fade.

Easy answer to all the problems mentioned in this topic is to use a personal colour laser printer.

I've had mine for at least 5 years, never replaced the toner, it doesn't dry out, and the prints don't run or fade.

What make is it Adrian?

Hi Adrian,

Last year as a result of a commission requiring it,  I took a Scalescenes pub to a local print shop and had it done on a laser colour printer. I found the plastic-like finish not to my liking, and I was so worried about making a mistake that it was rather unnerving to build! I also found the finish impervious to watercolour weathering, my preferred method. Does your printer give a matt or 'shiny-ish' finish?

Doug

• RMweb Gold

What make is it Adrian?

Hi C2C, the printer is a Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2400W. I forget what I paid for it now, @£120.00? Has been superceeded by the 4750EN

Hi Adrian,

Last year as a result of a commission requiring it,  I took a Scalescenes pub to a local print shop and had it done on a laser colour printer. I found the plastic-like finish not to my liking, and I was so worried about making a mistake that it was rather unnerving to build! I also found the finish impervious to watercolour weathering, my preferred method. Does your printer give a matt or 'shiny-ish' finish?

Doug

Hi Doug, haven't tried watercolour on it I must confess, but I couldn't have said the finish was much different to an inkjet. Perhaps it was the paper the shop used? I just use standard A4 paper.

[Edit] Just tried brushing water on to the surface of a printed sheet, you're right, it doesn't take. It's not glossy though.

Thank you for that, Adrian. There seem to be advantages and disadvantages. Doug

One disadvantage I would asume being that a water based acrylic laquer/varnish could not be used on it!

Hi C2C, the printer is a Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2400W. I forget what I paid for it now, @£120.00? Has been superceeded by the 4750EN

Adrian one question I would like to ask. Have you printed water slide transfer paper with it yet?

• RMweb Gold

One disadvantage I would asume being that a water based acrylic laquer/varnish coud not be used on it!

Adrian one question I would like to ask. Have you printed water slide transfer paper with it yet?

It takes sprays okay, from aerosols or airbrushes, as does plastic, I guess there would only be a problem with brushing.

I've not tried transfer paper with it yet; it would be an expensive experiment if it didn't work!

Perhaps someone else out there has experience...?

The surface does tend to be a bit on the shiny side with a laser printer and doesn't take weathering powders very well at all,but a coat of artists acrylic matt varnish brushed on lets weathering powder(scrapped pastels) be used,not tried water colour so can't comment.

Because of heat generated by fusing laser toner you have to make sure any paper you buy is suitable for laser printing,clear film has to be the type suitable for over head projector use.

I've tried four laser printers up to now this year and the one I've got now is a Lexmark CS410dn,it's the first printer I've had where the output is very near what's on the monitor and there's loads of colour adjustments available.

If you think inkjet refills are dear don't buy a laser printer.

Allan

The wife bought me a Kodak inkjet for one of my Xmas prezzy's, I very sheepishly (along with that feeling like walking on thin ice!) said I was quite happy with my HP and that it would be a waste of money to have two!

So she returned it and spent the money on herself! :resent:

Most of my printing is done on a Konica Minolta Bizhub C252 large office colour copier/laser printer.

I would describe the finish as having a slight sheen on standard 90/100sgm copier paper, not that different to a thicker coated paper through an inkjet.

It takes water based varnish and acrylics fine, I also use watercolours and have not had a problem, the only time I get watercolours not taking is when I have used too much pva.

The stone paper used on the station building in this link was printed on the laser and entirely recoloured using watercolours, maybe some water colours are better than others, mine are mainly Coltman or Windsor & Newton as I have a load of them from my painting days.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68522-making-card-buildings/&do=findComment&comment=956359

• RMweb Gold

If you think inkjet refills are dear don't buy a laser printer.

Allan

Laser printers are actually far, far more economical in this regard than inkjet. In an earlier post I pointed out that I've been using mine for at least 5 years and the toner has not run out. I previously used inkjet printers that were continually either drying up or running out. I'd say a laser printer is a bargain in comparison.

The genuine Canon cartridges at RRP are actually more than the price of the printer!

Keith

EDIT: I think at the lower end of the printer market the printers are actually sold as loss leaders for a continuing after market in replacement cartridges, which the manufacturers hope to be part of.

"Chipping" the cartridges so replacements don't always work the same as originals seems to be part of it! E.g. ink monitor not working etc.

We have got to a point where we did simply buy a new printer rather than ink. I seal my card models with Games Workshop purity seal once weathered. Seems to work well as the models live in the garage shared with the car and we live near the sea so the air is damp and salty. After nearly four years no real problems.

Laser printers are actually far, far more economical in this regard than inkjet. In an earlier post I pointed out that I've been using mine for at least 5 years and the toner has not run out. I previously used inkjet printers that were continually either drying up or running out. I'd say a laser printer is a bargain in comparison.

A question I would like to ask you Adrian. Approximately how much printing have you done over the past 5 years?

DaveH

• RMweb Gold

A question I would like to ask you Adrian. Approximately how much printing have you done over the past 5 years?

DaveH

Hi Dave, that's a tricky question! I suppose it's not a vast amount, one of the reasons a laser printer is good for me as you can rely on the printer working first time even after a lengthy period. If I'm forced to guess, I'd say approx. 1000 A4 sheets, including photos, letters and documents as well as stuff for modelling purposes.

No sign of the toner running out!

The talk abour toner capacity for laser printers made me look at the current stats for my Brother HL404CN colour laser, no longer made, but spares available still. Bought in 2007.

Total pages  = 21838,

Colour pages 7032,

Monochrome pages 14796.

Black = 21694;  8 cartridges,

Magenta = 6385; 4 cartridges,

Cyan = 6528; 3 cartridges,

Yellow = 6746; 3 cartridges.

Don't blame me if the numbers don't add-up, they are taken from the printers' own printout tken today, The figures are a fair reflection of the cartridge life as they were all changed at the end of February

I think the best figures to consider  are those relating to the coloured pages and the colour cartridges.

Information provided as it may be of interest to someone.

Jerry

On the subject of inkjet cartidges, the lead article in the Guardian's Money section for 23 February was on this subject and how the consumer is being ripped off. In 2002, an Epson colour cartridge contained 16ml. The same size cartridge today contains 3.5ml. 10 years ago, HP sold a cartridge containing 42ml for £20. The same size cartridge today sells for £13 and contains 5ml. Other brands are just as bad - and the new XL cartridges are just as much a rip off!

David C

Archived