spray varnish

• 2 weeks later...

What has that cost in financial terms, Jerry?

Doug

Hi Doug,

I have just looked back through the receipts for the genuine Brother laser cartrides and it amounts to nearly £300!

I have always bought from Staples sometimes using one of their offers. As some of my work needs archival permanence ( 40 years plus) and still readable. I tried using manufacturer's inkjet cartridges in an injet printer (I'm stating the obvious) but one of my clients manufactures these for a printer manufacturer and has shown me the UV exposure test results and the wide range of durability achieved. Conversely another makes laser toners which show better results using the same standardised results.

The standard test is based on the modified BWS (Blue Wool Scale) originating in dyestuff testing. Look at Wikipedia for the background. But many products which use pigments rather than dyestuffs, paints, plastics and are colourised in other ways such as anodising etc. etc. use an extended scale, sometimes as high as BWS 16, where the standards used are usually internal to particular companies and not often publicly available, being the result of considerable lab. work. The normal dye scale goes up to BWS 8. For an up-to-date article which is more relevant to today's technology, less academic and more practical see http://www.drb-mattech.co.uk/uv%20blue%20wool.html.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

have just looked back through the receipts for the genuine Brother laser cartrides and it amounts to nearly £300!

If that's the cost of all 18 cartridges, then it still sounds like a bargain to me... less than 1.5p per print!

Its a proven fact that Laser Printers are cheaper to run than Ink Jets even though the consumables for them seem dearer than inkjets, the life and number of prints make them cheaper overall.

I read somewhere that Inkjet Ink is the most expensive common liquid in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Experimented yesterday, found a large tin of Wilkinson's mat acrylic varnish, coated my latest building (a watertower) and it covered fine, dried quickly, nice mat finish which takes watercolours and ground pastels for weathering well.

I applied it with a large soft brush, it was a bit scary as it goes on a milky white colour, but soon dries clear, It also works through he airbush with a bit of thinning (water) but its too cold in my shed for that.

Andy - just to be clear (if you forgive the pun) is this the stuff you mean?

http://www.wilko.com/wood+metal-paint/wilko-matt-quick-dry-ultra-tough-varnish-clear-250ml/invt/0315017?VBMST=matt%20acrylic%20varnish

regards,

Tony

Hi Tony

Yep, that's the one, as long as it says you clean up with water.

I decant an amount into a smaller sealed container that way I am not in and out of the main tin all the time, way cheaper than buying little tinlets of the stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But I can see why we all try the alternatives though, how can retailers justify the price of cartridges being nearly the same price of a printer!

Printers for the domestic market especially are sold as loss leaders, the manufacturer's make profits from the ink cartridges once you are tied into a particular printer.

But I can see why we all try the alternatives though, how can retailers justify the price of cartridges being nearly the same price of a printer!

Because the printer is 'under-priced' - the manufacturer hopes to make up the price in selling the inks (that is one reason why the cartridges are 'chipped') - look on it as 'hire purchase, the price of the printer is the deposit. If you are doing a lot of inkjet printing, get a continuous ink system.

Best wishes,

Ray

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have built a number of Scalescenes downloadable kits and I have been using Newton and Winsor matt spray varnish to seal and protect my printed sheets.   However recently I downloaded Dressed Stone and Ashlar brick sheets and this varnish gave the brick work a green ish tinge to it, which looked rubbish, so I have switched to Ghiant Matt spray 300ml tins to seal the print out.  

However, I have found that printing your sheets out on a laser printer to be far more resistant to moisture when sprayed with a varnish etc.   It may be a bit more expensive, but I recommend you pop down to your local print shop and ask then if they can print of your kits!  It saves you draining your ink cartridges and to be honest, gives far better results than an ink jet print out.

However when I come to ballast my layout etc where water is present, I will still be avoiding contact with my car kits!!   I don't believe any spray is 100% waterproof!

Check out my layout on youtube to see the card kits I have made.   Search for Dean Park Station. ;-)

Archived