Design for Diesel Bogie (WAGR R Class)

I have just complete the bogie design for my WAGR R Class diesel.  It is for 16.5 mm gauge, but S scale as the prototype loco is 3' 6" narrow gauge.

I am using belt drive "in-line" bogies from Hollywood Foundry (one powered, one dummy at this stage) which have quite small gearboxes, so I was able to include the outline of the traction motors to avoid the look of too much empty space between the wheels. The upper parts of the "traction motors" had to be cut away to clear the drive shaft, gearboxes, power pickups and brass frame channel.  

The printed bogie frame is designed to attached to the Hollywood Foundry bogies from below, and clip on to the plastic mounting blocks provided (outlined in green in the second screenshot).  In case the clip-on arrangement doesn't work, I have included holes for mounting screws underneath.

i am just waiting to hear back from i.Materialise as to whether they will be able to print it.  I imagine it will need a number of supports as there are considerable overhangs, etc.

I will post some photos when I (hopefully) get some prints back.

Obviously, the wheels are just there to check clearances, etc. and will not be printed.

post-17456-0-77091200-1358154654_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-94693600-1358155441_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I received prints of my bogies back from i.materialise in Prime Grey.  I am very pleased with the bogies, especially considering the complexity of the design, and the known limitations of Prime Grey.

post-17456-0-21702600-1359727704_thumb.jpgpost-17456-0-09225000-1359727806_thumb.jpg

The little clips I included to attached to the Hollywood Foundry bogies worked well.  Hollywood Foundry published a 3D drawing of their bogie which I was able to stretch to the correct wheelbase, and include as a layer (actually, several layers) on my drawing to make sure it all fitted.

post-17456-0-72571600-1359727788_thumb.jpg

Because of the fine detail, i.materialise were not keen on removing the support structure and I agreed to do this, so it has been interesting to see the print as it comes of the machine with the support structure in place.  It took me about 30 min. to carefully tear it away and clean up the tiny attachment points.  It still needs a bit of cleaning up.  I haven't cleaned up the 2nd bogie yet.

post-17456-0-99667800-1359727764_thumb.jpgpost-17456-0-78047400-1359728217_thumb.jpgpost-17456-0-06766000-1359728235_thumb.jpg

It is not obvious in the photos but, as the HF gearboxes are quite small, I was able to include the outline of the bottom half of the the traction motors in the print, so they will be visible when viewed at rail level.

Indeed - it's a useful lesson to me in designing support structures too, thanks for posting the photos.  Apologies to both of you for taking so long to print your parts on my B9, I've been snowed under at work for the last couple of weeks.  Hopefully I'll have time to get back to it in the coming week.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Robert

No worries about printing my part.  I did see your photo of your first try, but you were still having problems with ripple.

I have painted the bogies with Revell enamel (No. 9 "Anthracite") which is my favourite "almost black" colour for underframes and bogies.  

The paint has certainly helped bring out the the detail.  I have airbrushed a second coat and I will take some more photos, including a close-up, when they have dried.

Archived