Gresley V3: improving the breed

Timara

Bachmann's V3 2-6-2T has been around for the best part of 20 years now and is showing signs of being rather dated.  Needing a V3 for St Aidan's, I decided that the bodyshell was certainly worth giving a bit of a spruce-up and then putting it onto a handbuilt chassis.  It is probably just as well that I'm doing it in P4 as I've never been a fan of their old-style split chassis block.  So, here's how I'm going about it all.

I've kicked off proceedings by dealing with the cabside windows.  I have to say that they're one of the main failings of the bodyshell, but by no means the worst.  Having done a fair few conversion of Peppercorn A2s into the earlier Thompson variety, it has meant that I've got a lot of spare cabs and thus some spare sets of usable cabside windows.  Here's an image to show the originals, just to give an idea...

post-6712-0-84259500-1358328495_thumb.jpg

To replace these, I've removed the central pillar and then opened out the resulting aperture to the required size.  15.9mm by 9.2mm should suffice for starters and then one can open this out to 16 x 9.3 bit by bit, having offered up the rather fragile window part to ensure a snug fit.  I shall show the remaining side to be fitted in a later post, which will also include how I cut the replacement window section out of the A2 cab.  The finished article looks much like these images below...

post-6712-0-73462200-1358328577_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-80449600-1358328911_thumb.jpg

It's quite a subtle transformation really, but not one that one immediately thinks of.  The original windows are too closely spaced and most certainly not the right shape or indeed width.  In short, they had to go.....!

The next easy item to get on with, before the more advanced work takes place is dealing with the rounded edges to the rear of the bunker.  As it comes, they are quite sharply square, rather than a nice subtle curve.  A few strokes of a file and then some wet-n-dry should be sufficient, especially if you wish (like me) to preserve the lining.

post-6712-0-14491700-1358329139_thumb.jpg

As can be seen from the photographs, all handrails have been carefully removed as they are going to replaced entirely.  The original stanchions aren't really up to much and they stand out too far from the bodyshell.

The various bits I shall be replacing on the model from here on in are as follows:  smokebox door, chimney, dome, front frames (too closely spaced, as per the V2), moulded coal in bunker and possibly adding a rebate to the top middle of the bunker for an indicator.  I shall need to consult photographs of 67628 to doubly confirm that.

So, that's the start...  More to follow as and when.

I think Worsley Works does a V1 chassis from their scratch-aid kit, which could go under your V3. Click here

If this includes motion and valve gear, then you may well be saving a bit of time. If my experience of a WW chassis is anything to go by, it will probably be a fold-up assembly type for the frames; I think you can specify either "OO" width or "EM/P4" width.

I think Worsley Works does a V1 chassis from their scratch-aid kit, which could go under your V3. Click here

If this includes motion and valve gear, then you may well be saving a bit of time. If my experience of a WW chassis is anything to go by, it will probably be a fold-up assembly type for the frames; I think you can specify either "OO" width or "EM/P4" width.

That's useful to know!  I might see about getting the chassis kit..... :)

Nice Tim. As your photo shows but you don't mention in the text, the whole bunker end with rear spectacle plate may be detached, which considerably aids mucking around with this model.

I ought to have mentioned that bit Paul as it's been the only way I could get into things!  My intention is to take a piercing saw to the "false coal" and make it possible to have the rear spectacles modelled in full.  I'm pretty sure that they're a bit smaller in diameter than they should be.....

Cheers,

Just a thought Tim: I don't know if you remember me piddling around with a Bachmann V1 body when I made the never-built Gresley P10 2-8-2T. That made me really look at the Bachmann body and realise one of the main things that's up with it, which tends to give the game away regarding the amount of copying of the Nu-Cast kit that seems to have gone on at the development stage. The cab roof is definitely too flat. I re-radiussed mine using a big file, taking the edges down until they were just shy of the tops of the window frames, then added a new roof overlay in brass complete with replacements for the rainstrips and ventilators plus nice subtle overhangs at the edges where appropriate. I thought it made a huge difference, but judgement of course is subjective.

Yes, that whole bunker unit is detachable.

Hi Graeme!

Just a thought Tim: I don't know if you remember me piddling around with a Bachmann V1 body when I made the never-built Gresley P10 2-8-2T. That made me really look at the Bachmann body and realise one of the main things that's up with it, which tends to give the game away regarding the amount of copying of the Nu-Cast kit that seems to have gone on at the development stage. The cab roof is definitely too flat. I re-radiussed mine using a big file, taking the edges down until they were just shy of the tops of the window frames, then added a new roof overlay in brass complete with replacements for the rainstrips and ventilators plus nice subtle overhangs at the edges where appropriate. I thought it made a huge difference, but judgement of course is subjective.

Yes, that whole bunker unit is detachable.

I had wondered about that.  As it happens, I've deliberately left enough "meat" above the replacement cab windows to allow for possible roof replacement.  I have to admit that it was the one area I was wondering whether to actually do or not.  I do have some suitable thin brass somewhere too.....

While I think about it, can one still obtain a suitable smokebox door from Dave Alexander these days?  It'd be the same one for the K4, which seems to have dropped off his online list for some reason (I can't find it anyway!).

Cheers!

An update.....

I've cut the moulded coal from the bunker (thanks to a piercing saw) and shaped the inside of the rear coal raves. These were moulded solid, so a few cuts with a scrawker meant I could then chisel the underside out afterwards. After final finishing with files to give smooth sides inside, here's how it looks:

post-6712-0-68000900-1358623430_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-08115400-1358623693_thumb.jpg

The other cabside window is ready to have its aperture opened out to accept the new windows. I only need to go as far as all the original outlines with a sharp knife and then files to finish. The original outline is about right, but the windows, as mentioned in my first post, most certainly are not!

post-6712-0-85735500-1358623653_thumb.jpg

I shall deal with the smokebox later, once I have an accurate door. :)

• RMweb Premium

If you are keeping that number this may help. This was a Scottish based loco but arrived at Gateshead late in its life. Gateshead still a number of V1/V3s still operational when I took this but the others had long been Tyneside engines.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-19331500-1358627616.jpg

post-6751-0-01383600-1358627619.jpg

Arthur,

Those photographs are absolutely superb, thankyou! Can you recall if it ever had a recess for a pair of indicator brackets on the top of the bunker? So far, all the photographs I've been able to find do not show whether it did or not. I@ve seen a shot of a sister loco at Newcastle Central where it has exactly that.

Cheers!

Another suggestion: a new door with closely-spaced straps is available from Dave Bradwell. It's meant for the B1 & K1, so the straps will need lengthening for a V1/V3. I'm doing the same for the N2.

That's a thought... I'd been wondering whether one of Dave Alexander's doors would have been worth using, but I cannot find it on the site. As it is, I'll need exactly the same thing for my K4.... Cheers for that, Ivan :)

The great thing about Bradwell parts is that they are almost all cast brass, so no fear of melting anything!

That is most certainly one of the plus points! I'll see about obtaining a pair of those at a suitable juncture :).

Judging by the photos posted here of the prototype, I feel the bunker rear is far more rounded than you have made it at present.

You know Larry, I had wondered about it :). The thing is, the lining is too good to damage, though I have a feeling it's not entirely the right shape (or, for that matter, the right position). It may have to be replaced entirely, which rather negates my raison-d'être for obtaining this specific bodyshell! I shall see if I can remove just a little more of the corners though....!

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

Those photographs are absolutely superb, thankyou! Can you recall if it ever had a recess for a pair of indicator brackets on the top of the bunker? So far, all the photographs I've been able to find do not show whether it did or not. I@ve seen a shot of a sister loco at Newcastle Central where it has exactly that.

Cheers!

Sorry I cannot help you with that one but I have a couple more from Gateshead. Not 67828 but they might help. I have another of 67642 at Heaton. I will post them later.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-12543800-1358637597.jpg

post-6751-0-03251700-1358637600.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Tim,

Is there any further progress on the V3? 

I have picked up a Nu cast kit for Australian $40, apx GBP21.  It has no instructions.  I bought it mainly for the chassis to fit under a Bachmann LNER V3 body as the chassis is about had it.  Usual things such as wheels sets splitting and damaged valve gear which makes the loco run rougher.

Mark in OZ

Hi Mark,

Hi Tim,

Is there any further progress on the V3? 

I have picked up a Nu cast kit for Australian $40, apx GBP21.  It has no instructions.  I bought it mainly for the chassis to fit under a Bachmann LNER V3 body as the chassis is about had it.  Usual things such as wheels sets splitting and damaged valve gear which makes the loco run rougher.

Mark in OZ

Nothing changed as yet.  I've had a whole load of things happening in my life lately (including a return to my former music career), not least various commissions, so a lot of things are suddenly taking a bit of a back seat.

Personally, I'd build the Nucast V3. It is lot easier to modify pieces when they are in kit form.
Alan Gibson produce a V3 chassis, which could be used to update the Bachmann model. The Comet N2 chassis is also suitable if you add a pony wheel.
Thane of Fife

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of much from the Nu-Cast stable at all, least of all old(er) white-metal kits.  AG mainframes aren't my cuppa either, since times have rather moved on from the days of milled frames.  Still, that's just my opinion ;)

Mainframes only, I think.

A full chassis can be had from Worsley Works, as can a scratch-aid body kit.

The Worsley kit is what is on my radar still.  Once I get a backlog of stuff out of the way, I might just return to this project.  I've got a layout to get ready for Warley next year, so I'm concentrating rather on that at present!

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I last updated this thread.....  Only a quickie though.

A new smokebox door has arrived from Graeme King, again using a master I had provided him.  Unlike the N2 door I had produced for me, this one is rather more universal in what it can be used on.

post-6712-0-70208900-1431693568_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-03541700-1431693617_thumb.jpg

The master itself used a spare door off one of my donor N2 bodies and was produced in the same way, but this time omitting the outer ring of the smokebox, so as to make it more useful to anyone needing a 57" standard GNR/LNER door.  I shall get around to doing the holes for the handrail knobs later on, likewise the front numberplate.

It'll need to wait for a chassis a little longer, since I hear on the grape vine that Dave Bradwell may well be doing one.  Usual disclaimers on hearsay apply.

.....need to wait for a chassis a little longer, since I hear on the grape vine that Dave Bradwell may well be doing one.  Usual disclaimers on hearsay apply.

Just as he's been thinking of doing the A2 chassis for some years.....

Archived