Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Not gonna , I feel some what anxious about posting here now, but I shall continue if I manage to snap a pic I'm pleased with.

Yes, a 'debit card purchase' or whatever silly terms have been thrown around here recently, but lots of grime applied and not a peco point in sight. Sorry-not-sorry if the filter offends

post-29051-0-42878700-1490183430_thumb.jpg

Original if you wish. 

post-29051-0-68334900-1490183582_thumb.jpg

This loco is still a bit of a work in progress.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Splendid photos, Ears.

I rather like this. I think you sell yourself a tad short and you should be proud of your efforts.

Bloody good show!

Rob.

post-14122-0-05564800-1490213596.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

Earwicker, a  pleasant change to see an American railroad-they are rare on here-and UP as well. As you remark too-lots of fun.

Have you a thread going?

Regards,

These are pictures of an abandoned small layout I documented here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94537-ho-layout-canyon-diablo/ I became a little dissatisfied with the premise of the layout, so I've recently moved on to a new layout that is consistent with Freemo and so allows for expansion and a bit more realism (i.e. lonely single track snaking through the American landscape, which is what really attracts me at the moment). It can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118161-apple-springs-canyon/ 

Edited by Earwicker
  • Like 1

Lovely!

How did you age/weather the coach roofs, theyre superb!

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME

The following explanation is lifted from my layout thread:

"This involves spraying the coach roofs with a base coat (Railmatch Roof Dirt), followed by painting strips of Maskol to represent patches where the roof is peeling. This is then finished off with several coats of top coat (Railmatch Weathered Black). The Maskol is then rubbed off and hey presto, you should end up with something that looks like a peeling roof.

I've tried it before but I wasn't very pleased with the results, as it looked very flat. This time I applied several top coats to build up the coat thickness and the results are much more pleasing I think."

Next time I think I will look for a bit more contrast between the two colours, as this was lost to some extent in the weathering process (one was weathered black and the other roof dirt, but there wasn't much difference by the time I'd weathered it. I was still happy with the results though.

Cheers

Dave

Empty shed

attachicon.gifIMG_5881 - Version 2.jpeg

The diesels are taking over!

attachicon.gifImage-12.jpg

Dave.

Love the flowing trackwork in that last one, Dave

• Like 1

Thanks CME

The following explanation is lifted from my layout thread:

"This involves spraying the coach roofs with a base coat (Railmatch Roof Dirt), followed by painting strips of Maskol to represent patches where the roof is peeling. This is then finished off with several coats of top coat (Railmatch Weathered Black). The Maskol is then rubbed off and hey presto, you should end up with something that looks like a peeling roof.

I've tried it before but I wasn't very pleased with the results, as it looked very flat. This time I applied several top coats to build up the coat thickness and the results are much more pleasing I think."

Next time I think I will look for a bit more contrast between the two colours, as this was lost to some extent in the weathering process (one was weathered black and the other roof dirt, but there wasn't much difference by the time I'd weathered it. I was still happy with the results though.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I have used various mask techniques, even, although the photo doesnt portray such, on the Shoc Van.

I believe that what makes your coach roof look so good is the colours, youve used and the build up of layers.

Can I ask, airbrush applied or rattle can??

Thanks.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I have used various mask techniques, even, although the photo doesnt portray such, on the Shoc Van.

I believe that what makes your coach roof look so good is the colours, youve used and the build up of layers.

Can I ask, airbrush applied or rattle can??

Thanks.

Kind regards,

CME

Rattle can in this case, CME, as I wanted fairly thick layers of paint with a bit of texture. I find that three or four generous coats applied using an aerosol are enough to produce that peeling effect when you rub off the maskol. Any less and the peeling effect is lost I find.

Edited by Waverley West

You cynics..I hate to think what you'll say about our super reliable NBL 21s when they appear!

..anyway its not a Heljan but a quality Dave Alexander job so I have every confidence of it making its destination with both engines intact. 

D.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 1

Rattle can in this case, CME, as I wanted fairly thick layers of paints with a bit of texture. I find that three or four generous coats applied using an aerosol are enough to produce that peeling effect when you rub off the maskol. Any less and the peeling effect is lost I find.

Thanks, great advice, for great effects, an airbrush would only lay down paint microns thick, the rattle cans achieve the effect wonderfully well! Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring!