Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Jamie,

The basic structure is polystyrene sheet cut out so each layer is slightly different. That was then covered in a plaster, paint and PVA mix. The PVA stops the plaster cracking. Then a hint of short static grass etc and then a day of putting all the long grass on by hand. The layout has probably taken about 50 hours in total to build with the same again for the stock. The idea for the layout started as 0-14 but the track was taking to long to build and there was a deadline for the layout approaching. The gallery shows it before and after I added the long grass. it went to its first exhibition in 2014 without the extra grass, which was added yesterday.

Marc

Hi Marc

So is the Plaster done first till hard, then apply Paint mixed with PVA or are all 3 Plaster, Paint and PVA all mixed together while wet and apply to the polystyrene, Its interesting about the 'Stop it cracking part', its very useful to know the How To's...

Thanks for sharing to.

Jamie

Thanks Marc for that, worth knowing.

I have seen it Plastered till hard, then painted, only PVA'd when it came to flocking!

Interesting how ones do things differently for the same out come!

Thanks you for sharing that Useful Information with us Marc

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Ian, thank you for your very kind comments. It was good to see you on Saturday at the S7 meeting and with your fine collection of loco's. I may be able to make wagon's but I will never be good enough to reach you standard with loco's.

• Like 1

Creech Grange: 006.5 (thread in the Narrow Gauge section of the forum)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124999-creech-grange-an-estate-railway-in-4mm-scale/

FullSizeRender-772802.jpg

Busch feldbahn 6.5mm gauge track and mechanisms, scratchbuilt locomotives and stock, representing minimum gauge estate railways inspired by both Heywood and the Sand Hutton.

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 15

Hi SRman

Still a great photo, I like the shadows on the house, that comes across a real, that's something unless you painted the shadows, that would be impressive lo SRman

Your Trees look great to and the way the field as your back scene looks well blended in with a load of trees in front.

thanks for sharing,

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

The scene is actually a small diorama, which I was able to take out into the garden in full sunshine, hence the nice shadows - convincing because they are real! I wish I could do the same for my layout pictures, but that is way too large to move outdoors. Some of the background 'trees' are actually real shrubs in my garden, some are models; the big oak tree in the left foreground is an old Brittains plastic model with Woodland Scenics foliage. The ferns under the road sign are a Scale Link etched brass product. The farm house is an ancient Airfix detached house I renovated just for the diorama.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

SRman

Well its a great scene I must say, so you have an options on the layout side, with you wishing to do the same on your layout! Just take the roof off your house, natural shadows would apply  :nono: a bit extreme I guess.

I wish I was as good at diorama's as you are...!

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1