Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks Julian.  I’m from Wales, and all we’ve got is sheep.  They just lie down when they’re tired, which is mostly...

Love Wales, used to take London pupils there to experience real life, one of the best experiences in teaching.

I seem to remember that the sheep turned to face away from bad weather and waited for it to go away - incredibly patient, given the climate.  I was there one year, {late 80s} when it had rained incessintely for the whole year and the sheep were white!  Sheep are never white, anywhere, but they were that year, so much rain that they hadn't got any dirt / dust in the fleece - quite a sight.

Regards

Julian

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 16:36, Adrian Knowles said:

Recalling memories of the London Transport pannier tanks in the late 1960s. This is a ScaleSeven pannier by Masterpiece Models which I sent to Martyn Welch for a wonderful weathering job that really has captured the characteristic appearance of these locos in service. The brake van is an adapted Dapol model.

80841.jpg.de7a0cba22a28b15dfbd017b753233ba.jpg

80871a.jpg

80859a.jpg

Hi

A stunning model, one of the best I have ever seen.

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

Ropley yard 30499 being restored 

This is exquisite.  There was an active thread a while ago - which I think you contributed to - on why very few people model preserved lines, while those that do are usually just a justification for having too much stock from too many periods.

"Ropley" shows that preservation schemes are about so much more than the trains running; it is all the backstage activity that makes them different from the "real" railway, which you are capturing brilliantly.  Look forward to seeing more.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

This is exquisite.  There was an active thread a while ago - which I think you contributed to - on why very few people model preserved lines, while those that do are usually just a justification for having too much stock from too many periods.

"Ropley" shows that preservation schemes are about so much more than the trains running; it is all the backstage activity that makes them different from the "real" railway, which you are capturing brilliantly.  Look forward to seeing more.....

Thank you. Ropley is on layout topics too if you would like to see regular posts I can’t remember where to find that page you mentioned 

chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

Thank you. Ropley is on layout topics too if you would like to see regular posts I can’t remember where to find that page you mentioned 

It's been running for quite a while!

• RMweb Gold

Not quite "realistic" but my attempt to make a Cuneo-alike from a photo of mine which was subsequently tweaked by Rob Gunstone...

All clear? ;)

And yes there is a mouse.

ladmanlow607.jpg.e1daf993c98d7f7a5ec16147253bddda.jpg

Al.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 09/07/2019 at 14:49, vitalspark said:

Agree many shots taken on 4mm layouts are looking down to a degree.

Attached couple that are low angle taken on Alloa.

DSC_1015-1.jpg.3b10391595a7fe39062295d9707d765b.jpg

IMG00411-20120321-2101.jpg.542978d3d29a64c274e148e116be8611.jpgDSC_0708.jpg.f9dd7eef9e5a6acca786201502777b0b.jpgDSC_0719.jpg.78943521528519a341c0fc27cfcf3954.jpgIMG_1075.jpg.afaf2e4870a2e90d5e561eb8aacd2ade.jpg

The pic of the 24 with the roof is very reminiscent of one i have of a 25 in Harrogate station i found on Derby Sulzers, excellent pic and even better modelling

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
Edit 25 to 24 in pic+ bad spelling
  • Like 1

Some more from Odiham. The filter is mainly to disguise the poor modelling - The layout was only started last Wednesday for its first show on the Monday just gone!

"First we see a Farnham train preparing to leave Odiham in November 1929. 'Terrier' No.B662 was known to appear on the branch from time to time, traffic rarely warranting even an Adams O2. Prior to the closure of the line through to Hook, locomotives were generally supplied by Basingstoke, though in later years they were supplied from Guildford, with a small sub-shed of Guildford located at Farnham. In the earliest years of the Southern, common motive power was one of the 0415 4-4-2Ts, with Guildford being allocated a pair of O2s in 1929 specifically for working the branch. From the mid-1930s, Drummond 'M7' class locomotives began appearing on the line."

2e8374e0_o.jpeg

Like the preceding photograph, it is assumed that this one was taken on a morning in 1929 (The branch continued Southwards from Odiham, so the shadows from the fence and nameboards suggest that the sun is in the East.), between the rationalisation and remodelling of the station at Odiham and the withdrawal of the branch's main coach, the pictured ex-LSWR 42ft Brake Third early in 1930. This one is believed to have been taken from an aircraft of the Royal Air Force, taking off from the nearby patch of land which would later become RAF Odiham. The presence of this aerodrome would ensure the lines survival for many years.The aircraft is believed to have been flying North, before curving Eastwards towards Farnborough.

5cfb610e_o.jpeg

B662 appearing again, this time in 1930, and the 1929-installed Rail-Post starter appears to have been built rather too tall - the continued presence of a handsignalman at the base of the post suggests that it is still awaiting commissioning. at this date. It would appear that the branch was affected by a chronic shortage  of rolling stock following the withdrawal of its ex-LSWR 42ft Brake early in 1930, the presence of a former SE&CR 60ft 'Birdcage' coach being most anachronistic. It would seem that this coach would remain in use on the branch until well into the 1930s, eventually being replaced by one of Maunsell's 58ft Rebuilds of LSWR 48ft stock in 1936, shortly before the branch was electrified.

93381b74_o.jpeg

Another interloper on Western Division territory - Former SE&CR Beyer Peacock 4-4-0 No.A930, photographed from the bank which was situated at the Farnham end of the station. The locomotive was originally built in the 1890s for the Blackstone & Marshland Railway, an independent Kentish concern, passing to the SE&CR in 1910 and being rebuilt with Wainwright boiler and tender in 1920. Although on the large side for the Odiham branch, it is seen here on twice-weekly van train.

67b0f164_o.jpeg

A rare dufaycolor shot from circa-1935, with more familiar South Western motive power on the unfamiliar 'Birdcage'. In this instance Push-Pull fitted 111 is in charge of the train, though curiously the branch was not a great user of Pull-Push stock. In addition to the M7 and the 'Birdcage', the fact that the Dufaycolor film is 35mm would indicate that the shot must have been taken after Ilford began producing 35mm Dufaycolor film. Why the photographer 'wasted' one of his precious, and expensive, shots on a mundane locomotive running in reverse we shall most likely never know, but for the purposes of research we are ever-grateful that some photographers noted the less glamorous railway subjects!

e6cec834_o.jpeg

The code 100 track really does give the game away here, but I like to think that at least some of the modelling is convincing!

If you haven't had enough of me yet, I could always post the originals? :P 

• Like 12