Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium

I've recently come back to this thread to take a look at the images people are posting.  Some convince and some less so. I've also been trying to work out why some work and why others don't and I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the lighting. Most of our models are photographed indoors but artificial light is far weaker than daylight and I think that this shows in some images. Some contributions have shown both colour and black and white versions of the same photo. To some extent the colour photos seem to mask the deficiency but the black and white ones show a distinct flatness, a lack of vibrancy, a lack of contrast to photos taken outdoors. I have been experimenting and there is a quick fix. I use Irfanview but other image editing software should have similar features.

Colour image. Try increasing the saturation a touch and boost the contrast by a bit more than a touch.

Black and white image. Try an increase to gamma and/or brightness, whack up the contrast by a good amount. Sometimes darkening the image also works but again with a good handful of increased contrast.

You'll notice that I haven't specified values as each image has it's own sweet spot, however the general principle of adjusting saturation or light a bit and contrast a lot is universal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Neil but full marks to all who have posted their work on here.

I would add that two things that add everything to creating a realistic image are as much depth of field and as low a camera angle as possible.  I don't know too many photographers who are 70 feet tall. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, KNP said:

Looking across the fields all looks quiet on the viaduct.

2287.jpg.953ac5429c333f4b361fb6e25b83ecfd.jpg

Nice to see the family behaving themselves......

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

They did ask after you and send their best wishes as well

Thanks. 

20190821_195039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/08/2019 at 07:25, Neil said:

I've recently come back to this thread to take a look at the images people are posting.  Some convince and some less so. I've also been trying to work out why some work and why others don't and I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the lighting. Most of our models are photographed indoors but artificial light is far weaker than daylight and I think that this shows in some images. Some contributions have shown both colour and black and white versions of the same photo. To some extent the colour photos seem to mask the deficiency but the black and white ones show a distinct flatness, a lack of vibrancy, a lack of contrast to photos taken outdoors. I have been experimenting and there is a quick fix. I use Irfanview but other image editing software should have similar features.

Colour image. Try increasing the saturation a touch and boost the contrast by a bit more than a touch.

Black and white image. Try an increase to gamma and/or brightness, whack up the contrast by a good amount. Sometimes darkening the image also works but again with a good handful of increased contrast.

You'll notice that I haven't specified values as each image has it's own sweet spot, however the general principle of adjusting saturation or light a bit and contrast a lot is universal.

Dunno much about photography, but for me the key to realism in these photos is not being able to See an NEM box on the front of a loco , cos those immediately shout “ model “.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

You may consider this cheating, but no photoshoppery was used for this image:

It's simply a matter of taking the layout to the scenery...

Al.

Not at all IMHO going out of your way to get such an image is craftsmanship clever in itself.

brilliant photo.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Dunno much about photography, but for me the key to realism in these photos is not being able to See an NEM box on the front of a loco , cos those immediately shout “ model “.

The huge chasm between loco and tender ruins many an otherwise good pic.  Outside pics are tough, most pre digital railway pics were taken from the South with the sun behind the cameraman, try that on a model and you get your shadow on the subject

• Agree 2