Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Very nice scenes in all those you've posted.  What's the small Prairie - Bachmann?

Thanks, Yes, It's a Bachmann, I had 4555 and 5513 with the sloping Tanks, both really good runners, and petty little Locos, IMHO.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

1841163677_Shap_BW_MaidenLane(AYork).jpg.3882187fa358af797f349b084717da53.jpg

46248 'City of Leeds', in the last year of its life (1964), free wheels down Shap bank with the fast (perishables) fully fitted freight to London's Maiden Lane goods depot.

My layout - but not my picture. Courtesy of the webmeister Mr York and as posted by him on my layout thread yesterday.

Please forgive my (genuine) ignorance of such matters but shouldn't there be a guards/brake van? My knowledge of such matters is severely limited so this is a genuine enquiry.

• Agree 2

There is one - it's the third-to-last vehicle in the train. As it's fully fitted, then additional tail end traffic can be added (provided they are also fitted).

It was a bit of a thing with milk tanks on the West Coast mainline. The train depicted is based on a Derek Cross picture and there is plenty of other pictorial evidence of this practice, going back to LMS days.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

15 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

There is one - it's the third-to-last vehicle in the train. As it's fully fitted, then additional tail end traffic can be added (provided they are also fitted).

It was a bit of a thing with milk tanks on the West Coast mainline. The train depicted is based on a Derek Cross picture and there is plenty of other pictorial evidence of this practice, going back to LMS days.

Many thanks for that -makes total sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Up to 2 vehicles can be marshalled behind the brake van on a fully fitted train (steam era) with the brakes working.  It was done for marshalling purposes to minimise shunting moves when picking up or dropping off traffic, or (particularly on the ECML) at the behest of the guard to steady the ride of the brake van at the higher speeds.  The train pictured can run up to 55mph assuming the milk tanks are loaded (they were restricted to 45mph empty) and could run up to 60mph without them (45mph for short wheelbase vehicles was introduced in the late 60s).  ECML fully fitted goods and fish trains were famous for liberally interpretation of those limits, encouraged by the use of pacifics and V2s, and the ride in the van could be a bit, um, lively...

Hope it's not a hot day, as the guard is going to be surrounded by the small of gone-off milk and decaying fish from the exteriors of the vehicles.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

46248 'City of Leeds', in the last year of its life (1964), free wheels down Shap bank with the fast (perishables) fully fitted freight to London's Maiden Lane goods depot.

My layout - but not my picture. Courtesy of the webmeister Mr York and as posted by him on my layout thread yesterday.

Where's the 'bloody good' button? 

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

YES, More of the same anytime please.:good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1