Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes

But maybe a filter out of one or two by independent arbitrators will not go amiss.

Ian

By filter out do you mean put into sub categories? i.e Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings etc etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes

But maybe a filter out of one or two by independent arbitrators will not go amiss.

Ian

My apologies in advance if I have misinterpreted your suggestion but I am quite sure that many who have spent hours modelling something that they are proud of may feel more than a little upset if their modelling skills were deemed inferior by an independent arbitrator who decided to remove their work

• Agree 14

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes

Ian

Can’t see why. I can admire all these images from steam to euro star

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

Yes - some great modelling by far surpassing my own attempts - but I feel some images may be best left in their "blogs" "workbenches" or general layout topics?  the thread title may be contrived as the "best of the best" maybe? - too much of a magnet for elitism? but i'm not one to judge.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We definitely need a 'strongly disagree' button

The title is 'How realistic are your models? Photo challenge' so members are posting photos of their modelling that they believe appears realistic

Personally I find this thread inspirational and a showcase of what can be done, it's certainly inspired me to try

I wouldn't say it is a magnet for elitism, It's probably one of the few threads where everyone comes together in sharing their work regardless of scale, gauge, era, etc

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Agree 16

10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The title is 'How realistic are your models? Photo challenge' so members are posting photos of their modelling that they believe appears realistic

Personally I find this thread inspirational and a showcase of what can be done

Fine - sorry to upset you -  yes I suppose it is a challenge of sorts but how about a thread with the really inspirational modelling as long as it doesn't become elitist?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I certainly think that your waiting room pic (to pick an example) is good modelling. However, there are some pics from people which aren't particularly realistic (or good modelling). It would be elitist for me to turn it into 'Stuff Andy thinks is good enough' but some people should be a little more self-critical before submitting to it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

but some people should be a little more self-critical before submitting to it.

okay, I take your point Andy. My apologies

tenor.gif.6163b1d4f60911381fee0a232bc9b084.gif

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps we just need to be reminded of the OP and not simply the title of the topic?

Having seen on here and in magazines recently some truly amazing pictures of models that look so lifelike I thought it would be a good idea to try and get a collection together on here.

So the challenge is to post up your pictures of your models, dioramas or layouts that look so lifelike you have to look twice or more to decide.

The only computer wizardry allowed is to add steam\smoke or make your pics black and white or sepia to add to the realism.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Perhaps we just need to be reminded of the OP and not simply the title of the topic?

Yes -  after 292 pages maybe the original thread intention has been diluted somewhat?

Or if there is someone with time on their hands maybe a suitable tally sheet of likes can be written up....

My vote goes to anything by Sandhills Jon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

IMG_3497.PNG.9f1cab351cf252531a25d446dc40d470.PNG

4964E725-85A0-4325-AC30-2BD4D91C31E5.JPG.73b1b54456bc94d0bd2c57e689d68c31.JPG

Link to the waiting room build

Just OOOOzes atmosphere............

I sometimes wonder if, now that we have forensic digital photography, we should be thinking about "dotting the eyes" of our people which would give them more personality?

I have to say I haven't done it at Arbroath - yet!

I'm NOT being picky - just observing.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Personally I find this thread inspirational and a showcase of what can be done, it's certainly inspired me to try

I wouldn't say it is a magnet for elitism, It's probably one of the few threads where everyone comes together in sharing their work regardless of scale, gauge, era, etc

I know most of mine do not really stand up to close scrutiny, so I'll just stick to Seven Mills Sidings now, unless a miracle occurs within my camera.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I know most of mine do not really stand up to close scrutiny, so I'll just stick to Seven Mills Sidings now, unless a miracle occurs within my camera.

We've been here before........it's all very subjective. 

One persons view of that which appears realistic may not be that of others. 

Therefore, I have to agree Andy.

Whilst it's not made clear which images are at issue here, I'll confine mine to my own thread, to avoid any upset. 

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I read through this thread on occasion, I use the like button if I like it, I have not posted here yet as my railway is a fair distance away from being finished, but it seems to me that all the images are of a very high standard. I personally struggle with black and white images(be it model railways or any other subject) as I don't ever recall seeing the world in B&W, I know folk use it(and sepia) to create an historic feel, but I don't criticise as personal taste means we will all like difference.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I read through this thread on occasion, I use the like button if I like it, I have not posted here yet as my railway is a fair distance away from being finished, but it seems to me that all the images are of a very high standard. I personally struggle with black and white images(be it model railways or any other subject) as I don't ever recall seeing the world in B&W, I know folk use it(and sepia) to create an historic feel, but I don't criticise as personal taste means we will all like difference.

I think the B&W images are better tend to hide the "incorrect" model colours of an unreal world - the images take more analysing - also a lifetime of the old Ian Allan books the majority of printed in monochrome.

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

We've been here before........it's all very subjective. 

One persons view of that which appears realistic may not be that of others. 

Therefore, I have to agree Andy.

Whilst it's not made clear which images are at issue here, I'll confine mine to my own thread, to avoid any upset. 

Rob 

Please keep posting on this thread. I and many others enjoy your models which are amongst the best on this thread.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Please keep posting on this thread. I and many others enjoy your models which are amongst the best on this thread.

Thanks Phil. 

However I'll still post images but as suggested, I'll confine such posts to my own thread and you are welcome to pop in.

Comments such as those from Crisis Rail do not take into account the skill level of those who post their images hereon. 

They may well not be ' of a sufficient standard' but to those who post such images they are. It may well be the best thing that they have been able to achieve and we should not exclude them. To the contrary, a simple 'like' may be all that's needed to encourage the poster to push their personal skills that bit further. 

If an image doesn't satisfy the viewer then so be it. 

I'll leave it to the critics  to continue the thread with their own images.  

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob 

Nooo, Andy and Rob, please keep posting! 

I find both of your modelling highly realistic and inspiring, as I do with this thread generally. 

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that started this current exchange, nobody should have any right to judge what goes on here and what doesn't

Happy posting,

Dave.T

• Agree 13
  • Thanks 2