Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

edit: I do like your trackwork for example - but it doesn't belong on this (maybe a best of RM Web?)  thread - more suited to a workbench blog.

Who says?? 

I think its very appropriate,  Why shouldn't anyone put photos of their trackwork on here?

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

but it doesn't belong on this (maybe a best of RM Web?)  thread - more suited to a workbench blog

Of course it does, it's modelling and that track is realistically treated.

• Agree 11
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

A touch harsh - yes there is a good deal of skill and I have dished out plenty of "likes" maybe I was a bit quick to judge and the best judges are ourselves.

Ian

edit: I do like your trackwork for example - but it doesn't belong on this (maybe a best of RM Web?)  thread - more suited to a workbench blog.

Given the title, I don't remember anyone appointing Judges, let alone those who have deigned to suggest that some might be posted elsewhere, on workbench threads or the like.  Rather a self-appointed step up from Rivet-Counter, to Rivet-Counter Judge {non-certified} status.

Every post I have seen here has been of a perfectly "real" physically touchable model - therefore, absolutely realistic, it is a model, but no less real for that.  It may not appeal to you, but it does appeal to others.  When I see over / under detailed models [to my view], I look and learn and if I don't like what I see, I pass on quietly.

6 minutes ago, DLT said:

Nooo, Andy and Rob, please keep posting! 

I find both of your modelling highly realistic and inspiring, as I do with this thread generally. 

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that started this current exchange, nobody should have any right to judge what goes on here and what doesn't

Happy posting,

Dave.T

Spot on Dave.

Julian

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes - some great modelling by far surpassing my own attempts - but I feel some images may be best left in their "blogs" "workbenches" or general layout topics?  the thread title may be contrived as the "best of the best" maybe? - too much of a magnet for elitism? but i'm not one to judge.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Ian

So you are not one to judge, and you don’t like elitism....but you feel some images shouldn’t be here ?

I’d rather you’d just scrolled on by, because now it seems a lot of people won’t have a go. The simple measure of whether the majority thought they were realistic was the number of likes etc...

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

6 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Yes -  after 292 pages maybe the original thread intention has been diluted somewhat?

Or if there is someone with time on their hands maybe a suitable tally sheet of likes can be written up....

My vote goes to anything by Sandhills Jon.

Generally, no, I don't think it has been dilluted. The OP said "post up your pictures of your models, dioramas or layouts that look so lifelike you have to look twice or more to decide" and most do that. If you spend time looking and analyzing them then 100 per cent of the photos would fail but if you look and think it looks real and only when you look again, more closely you see something that shows it's a model, then they've passed.

If you mean that someone counts up the 'likes' and those falling under a certain threshold are binned then that is no way to gauge if something belongs here or not. I don't understand what it is you're trying to achieve here. If you think something looks unrealistic, or just plain rubbish, then that's fine but keep it to yourself. Clearly some people have been put off posting now and that's not helping anyone, is it?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

All very well this thread (and it's been around for quite sometime) there are some excellent subject images but I feel it needs filtering out somewhat.

Ian

Who made you the Pope?

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Well Andy. You’ve just contradicted yourself for a kick off. 

How so? Anyway it's obvious you've irritated a lot of people so just move on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

8 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Well Andy. You’ve just contradicted yourself for a kick off. 

To answer the second of these two posts...

How so?  It's obvious you've irritated a lot of people and some very appreciated posters may well not post again.  I hope they will continue to do so, and you continue to have your opinions...  without making them judgements on what people may be permitted to post.  Those persons with designated responsibility for judgements on what posts are appropriate can hardly be accused of reticence in that regard.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

I’m sure this was a forum. 

It still is.

You’re receiving the benefits of ‘discussion’ with members via the forum.

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Post away. No need to get so upset! I’ll keep liking the likes. And keep all my opinions to myself. I’m sure this was a forum. 

So its all OK now is it. You have discouraged some of the best modellers on this thread from posting for the pleasure of other modellers and now you are just going to walk away? It would be better perhaps if you kept walking away until you have left RMweb. I have had my doubts about some models that have been posted here but I keep those doubts to myself. I see that you have chosen not to illustrate any of your modelling efforts here or anywhere else on RMweb as far as I can see so what gives you the right to criticise others efforts?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Post away. No need to get so upset! I’ll keep liking the likes. And keep all my opinions to myself. I’m sure this was a forum. 

Remember:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
The works depicted in this thread are brilliant!
Of course YOU can always up the ante..........

Khris

• Agree 8
  • Funny 1

For Ian, (Crisis Rail)
At the end of the day...remember, this is a hobby. It involves all sorts of skills from making models/ trackwork/ scenery/ buildings/ figures/ electronics. They are skills some of us have, anything from none to all and anywhere inbetween, but at the end of the day we Enjoy, and share our experiences, be it on this or other threads!
Enjoy it for what it is....a place to share our hobby and learn new skills along the way!

Khris

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

So its all OK now is it. You have discouraged some of the best modellers on this thread from posting for the pleasure of other modellers and now you are just going to walk away? It would be better perhaps if you kept walking away until you have left RMweb. I have had my doubts about some models that have been posted here but I keep those doubts to myself. I see that you have chosen not to illustrate any of your modelling efforts here or anywhere else on RMweb as far as I can see so what gives you the right to criticise others efforts?

gallery_7252_944_441167.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Credit where it's due - It's a fairly realistic photo, but I might suggest that (exactly like my own photos) it suffers from unrealistic lighting and Peco track in that regard. The loco is very nicely done, however.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

OTOH the loco’s nicely weathered and I like the ‘sun on the sunblinds’ effect.  To my mind let down by the overbright cool cast LED headlights, and if that's double track running line it’s running wrong road. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Here's my comments on the recent discussion concerning posts here. I see that there are two main issues, possibly being confused.

Firstly there is a big difference between the quality (and realism) of the modelling and the quality of the photography. The thread is about realistic modelling rather than a photography competition although, without doubt, well exposed, focussed and composed photographs can help enhance and elevate the modelling image.

My other issue (concern?) is about the suggestion of 'thinning' out, which to me sounds like judging, editing and deleting. To undertake that there would need to be some sort of comparison between photos and against a set of standards. And then an impartial judge (or panel) who decides which pics are removed/thinned or shouldn't be posted. 

I understand (and agree) that individuals might need to more carefully consider what they post, but for someone else to make those decisions would seem potentially rather heavy handed. And could lead to upset.

However, I enjoy all the content on this thread, some more than others (although I keep that to myself as a personal choice issue), and wouldn't like to see the quantity diminished (through thinning) to theoretically improve quality. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5