Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Thats great!... The first one has a sort of effect that makes it look very realistic compared to the original.. (Which is also excellent btw !)

2 hours ago, DLT said:

Perfect! looks like its taken with a cheap 1970s camera, and processed at Boots

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Looks great (both the modelling and the photo editing). My first impression was that the top picture looks like the prototype and the bottom picture looks like a very accurate model of a real life scene. 

Thanks for the comments. 

I do like the effect of the filter applied which does give the impression of a 1970's camera!

I'll do some more when I get chance. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2020 at 11:54, Crisis Rail said:

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

As beholders we all have our own views. I hold the view that everybody should be able to show their work in any category they consider appropriate, but they should be prepared to receive observations of any sort. It's a public forum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 11/03/2020 at 15:13, Andrew P said:

I know most of mine do not really stand up to close scrutiny, so I'll just stick to Seven Mills Sidings now, unless a miracle occurs within my camera.

Seems odd you think this way Andrew as the Peters conveyor belt really does put some excellent inspirational stuff out - I (now possibly a bit wrongly) thought the thread title was diluted too much in what could and is covered in blogs - layout topics  - workbenches  and needed filtering out somehow  - but looking back doing this would open up the doors for far too much elitism of whats good and not good and generally upsetting a few contributors. Quite rightly the decision to judge is best left to solely to the individuals.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I hope NOBODY has been put off submission by recent comments.  There are a number of reasons why models can look more or less realistic but they can be summarised as a combination of the quality of the model(s) and the quality of the photography.

I have seen some submissions on this thread where I'm perhaps not seeing what the poster is seeing, but it is usually the photography - often limited depth of field or unnatural camera angles (was the photographer 30' up a tree?) - that give it away as a model.  There are very, very few images where I wonder why they bothered and I would never, ever tell them not to.  I'm sure the originator of the thread intended for us to inspire each other, not for it to be a competition. 

Personally, I reserve clicking "Craftsmanship/Clever" for the best entries, but it's just a good thing there's no limit to the number of times I can do that.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/03/2020 at 13:37, Erixtar1992 said:

Can we stop with the moaning and just get on with posting cool photos of our models? This is one of my fave threads on here, modelling is a compromise. Nothings usually perfect so just enjoy the content.

cheers :)

7C4A6ABF-D97F-407C-8646-73EC536DE7B8.jpeg

Going by the original concept of this thread ( realistic photos) then i would suggest that this one takes some beating.

its a great example of that double take, look again as mentioned in the OP.

I thought this was real on first sight.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/03/2020 at 10:26, KNP said:

Just to keep the ball rolling here is a picture of some trees, old house and if you look between the trees on the right, just beyond the sheep is a Collett Goods lurking....

2743.jpg.e246cb29207542dc2d575aec55fecca4.jpg

What grabbed my attention to a sense of realism was the fineness of of the footbridge handrails, then I started looking around the rest of the photo. That's nice, in my opinion. Well done KNP. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 15/03/2020 at 19:36, LBRJ said:

Going by the original concept of this thread ( realistic photos) then i would suggest that this one takes some beating.

its a great example of that double take, look again as mentioned in the OP.

I thought this was real on first sight.

Thankyou mate, the comments make it all worth it!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DLT said:

The Bridport Harbour Tramway's loco Victoria, outside the engine shed at Bridport Town on a bright sunny day.

369003974_IMG_4170shoppedsmall.jpg.9c1392249535d78df67f16d208237544.jpg

Stunning modelling as always Dave, and YES, it was a case of having to look twice, and then a third and forth time to take in all the detail.

Simply superb.:good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Stunning modelling as always Dave, and YES, it was a case of having to look twice, and then a third and forth time to take in all the detail.

Simply superb.:good:

I am still not sure if he hasn't cheated here and posted a photo of a real railway :P. Amazing modeling.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2020 at 02:47, SteelAndSoot said:

I just wanted to add an image of my cakebox challenge layout Narrow Gauge Newt found here 

its the most realistic railway diorama I have made (thats not saying much)1794387121_NarrowGaugeNewt.PNG.6294e4848e5427539be8235fc1304ecc.PNG

Women looking at trains... that's not realistic :-)

• Like 3
  • Funny 5