Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium

Aww, poor 46009. An undignified end.  I remember it being shown live on the 6 o'clock news and all the conspiracies from the anti-nuclear protesters that the loco had been specially weakened, why didn't they crash it on top of a tall viaduct, why didn't they use an Inter-City 125 etc.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I would have been more reassured had the flask been arranged to be hit square on by 46006, and not on an angle where the initial contact would divert it to the side and absorb some of the shock.  There were a series of these tests IIRC, including dropping a container on to a solid surface from a big crane.  I also think that an opportunity was lost to measure and record some of the forces on the coaches in the crash, which did not telescope and behaved as designed.  Had there been passengers, there would I'm sure have been deaths in the leading coach, but possibly survivals with no real injuries in the rear one.  Given that mk1 based stock was in service for another 2 decades, the information might have led to modifications that made them even safer, or had influence on later designs.  46006 and it's train were sacrificed for much less than they should have been. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I would have been more reassured had the flask been arranged to be hit square on by 46006, and not on an angle where the initial contact would divert it to the side and absorb some of the shock.  There were a series of these tests IIRC, including dropping a container on to a solid surface from a big crane.  I also think that an opportunity was lost to measure and record some of the forces on the coaches in the crash, which did not telescope and behaved as designed.  Had there been passengers, there would I'm sure have been deaths in the leading coach, but possibly survivals with no real injuries in the rear one.  Given that mk1 based stock was in service for another 2 decades, the information might have led to modifications that made them even safer, or had influence on later designs.  46006 and it's train were sacrificed for much less than they should have been. 

It's a bit of a myth that the carriages would have protected the passengers because they appeared upright, complete and many of the windows were intact.  Unfortunately most of the tables and many luggage racks had broken free and would have flown through the carriage at some speed.  A flying Mk1 TSO table would easily kill you. 

I agree that more could have been learned, but the test was funded by the CEGB for their benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Leak?

i78lm36b3nu41.gif.59f9ebfebcc81cb3f3c3bdcde4ad16ae.gif

I always feel sorry for the fare-dodger in the leading coach toilet. 

"Is this the 10:15 to Sellafield?"

"Alright, who's left the Allegro in the car park?"

Edited by tomparryharry
Yes.
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

Southern_B1_at_Leysdown_bw.jpg.83a35a2fc49706099fa6f94ee6b81ae7.jpg

Southern ex SE&CR Class B1 at Leysdown.

What a thoroughly nice image. Having stood and watched Leysdown at a couple of exhibitions, it is a truly lovely layout. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

That's nice Andy, Charlw or a different layout?

Thank you. -ps no it’s not Charwelton (that’s in isolation lock down in its underground lair), it’s a 3 foot layout I built for the club competition a few years ago but it’s ideal for the odd photo!

-Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I confess to looking at the first picture and the introductory comment and thinking " Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?"  with accompanying rolling eyes!

In the circumstances, I am not just happy to admit to being so substantially and utterly wrong, it is a perfect lesson in photography, selection of scenic materials and selection of an outdoor location to match.  Wow, amazing skills and bows down in reverence. 

Julian

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1