Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

I said I disagree.

That's not criticising, it's expressing an opinion.

The inability of many folks to understand the difference is the cause of much argument on RMweb.

Rob said his preference is to represent the appearance of the prototype, with the signal in front of the bridge. My preference is to represent the function of the prototype, with signals placed according to the track layout, because signals look daft otherwise. Both views are equally valid.

It's a matter of opinion, but Rob's approach is really quite recent in the the history of the hobby. The aim and intention of railway modelling has shifted over the years. The traditional writings on the subject clearly tend towards representing prototype practice rather than strict prototype appearance.

regards,

Martin.

Like most things in life it would benefit from planning.In my case here there wasn't any. :O

• Like 2

My only criticism, which seems to be one common to a few photos in this thread, would you really be taking a photo there?

Regards,

Matt

That is on the 'How realistic are your photos of How realistic are your models? Photo challenge', thread. Present records indicate that nobody has ever been killed whilst photographing a 00 model trackside.

Steve, change it to a model of Flying Scotsman and then it will look perfectly normal to be standing on the track.

My only criticism, which seems to be one common to a few photos in this thread, would you really be taking a photo there?

Regards,

Matt

Disclaimer: No, I don't think it is right to stand on the track either, but people- oh never mind.

Steve

If the ultimate test of realism is someone thinking:

"Oh isn't that nice, Steve has put a photo of the real location on by way of a comparison", then I think you pass that one. It was only the absence of steam that gave the game away.

If you could photoshop in some steam (or stick some cotton wool on top) then I think that would be very hard to tell apart from the real thing.

Damned impressive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I've never used photoshop but if any one wants to have a go on the picture please feel free

Coasting down hill produces no smoke as long as the boiler pressure is low enough for the safety valves to stay down..   I don't mind well produced smoke and steam but I find that more often than not they are unconvincing.  Nothing wrong with that shot IMHO now that you have moved the camera man out of harms way.

ANy

• RMweb Gold

If it's before 'health and safety' (boooooooo) kicked in you, could stand and take photos where ever you wanted as long as you jumped out of the way before the train hit you or your camera, I've jumped out the way of many a dmu in Wales when I was a kid taking photos, got a bit of abuse of the drivers though but hey ho.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

This would be going up hill 1/100 gradient coming out of Severn tunnel

. Now look, I just chucked you a life line and you've thrown it back... We now need dark smoke and steam rocketing out the chimney - no fluffy cotton wool is going to work. We need more smoke belching out of the tunnel mouth

Or we could just forgive this element and remember that steam engines working hard can have columns of smoke 2 or 3 times higher than the loco and we can't replicate that.

andy