Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Apparently, the only other photoghaper around that day only had black and white film in his camera.

attachicon.gifGrampus 14s.jpg

Maybe he was a singleton, a fast runner (and a good flyer?) and had one of rosewood frame, twin camera holder thingies so beloved by railway photographers?

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

The outhouse has subsided but not as much as the house. Look a the family group who are, presumably, stood upright!

What I liked, about the photo, was the horse worked tramway. The cobbles were only laid where the horse needed traction and not across the whole width of the road.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

The outhouse has subsided but not as much as the house. Look a the family group who are, presumably, stood upright!

What I liked, about the photo, was the horse worked tramway. The cobbles were only laid where the horse needed traction and not across the whole width of the road.

Kev.

The cobbles for the horse drawn tramway were a legal requirement imposed on the tramway companies as it was considered that the tram horses would wear a groove in the road. The act was never repealed and tram operators were still required to maintain the roads around their tracks even when trams were mechanically powered. Note that the cobbles around the tram tracks form a better road than the rest of the road.

• RMweb Gold

Mining subsidence would be rare in the 'Heads of the Valleys' area, which is right on the northern rim of the coalfiled where the coal bearing strata come to the surface; coal extraction here is by open cast methods.  Limestone is also quarried just to the north, and iron ore was during the early years of the industrial revolution, but is long worked out now.

So the water tower must have blown over!

Or the ground on one side is wetter than the other and it has started to sink; it's pretty boggy in places up there as well!

• Like 1

Hi all,

Talking about spirits Phil, Have you noticed that the man on the left his leg is translucent. You can see right through it. Plus his clothing looks more 1970's that 1870's.

There is a bungalow in my village where both ends of the front wall have stayed in place, But the middle of the front of the house as actually moved up by what looks like 9-10 ins. Looks like it is frowning Do not know if this counts a subsidence or something else....lol

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Talking about spirits Phil, Have you noticed that the man on the left his leg is translucent. You can see right through it. Plus his clothing looks more 1970's that 1870's.

There is a bungalow in my village where both ends of the front wall have stayed in place, But the middle of the front of the house as actually moved up by what looks like 9-10 ins. Looks like it is frowning Do not know if this counts a subsidence or something else....lol

Also, that sheet looks as white as a ghost...

Note how the outhouse/extension hasn't subsided.

The outside lav. Always the most upright part of any home where most deep thinking would have taken place and most crucial decisions made.

I reckon this is the approx location today.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fe7AYLK3ynC2

Looking at the 1887 OS map there is no way I would live there. There's more shafts than a DJM J94/Austerity chassis.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/396691/294249/12/100599

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Thats called 'heave', it usually occurs when a large tree has been removed. Trees soak up an enormous amount of water, several hundred litres of water in a DAY. Once the tree is removed the surrounding soil swells and can damage nearby buildings.

Edited by PhilJ W