Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello all,

This is my first posting in this topic, I hope it's okay?

I hasten to add - this is NOT my work, just courtesy of DA Trains nofrost on facebook (posted with permission): https://www.facebook.com/datrains/

This is H0 scale by the way.

Cheers,

John.

This looks just about perfect to me - the lighting, colouring and even the depth of field are all very believable. I suppose the only "techincal error" might be, signal aspects would not be visible from this viewpoint. But it's jolly good! I imagine, this is part of a rather good layout.

- Richard.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Richard!

I could only spot the heavier than real catenary wires - even then, in Italy, they are pretty heavy in real life. Also, the over large flangeways through the points, inevitable really.

I'm glad people liked this picture and I would encourage anyone to please, take a look on facebook, DA Trains has loads of excellent pictures of what looks to be a very appealing layout.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Ruston said:

vvv-040bw.jpg.fb661937ee66ff3386773eba778adfd0.jpg

Dave, please forgive the impertinance, but when I add smoke effects, I always leave a slight gap between the top of the funnel and the smoke. I don't know why but I think it looks more realistic.

ladmanlow1276.jpg.30b2fc1ddb49d0faa1a33088dda4a36a.jpg

Al.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Dave, please forgive the impertinance, but when I add smoke effects, I always leave a slight gap between the top of the funnel and the smoke. I don't know why but I think it looks more realistic.

Al.

It all depends on what the loco is doing - how much smoke it's making, Is it working hard or easy? Moving or stationary? Regulator open or closed? Running fast or slowly? Two examples below.

Stationary and making a lot of smoke. No gap.

Bagnall2020-1.jpg.38f08dc44ddf223a75aea1019d09e2a8.jpg

The engine on the right is starting a train and moving slowly with a clean exhaust. Gap.

foxfieldsteam-1.jpg.630a6304e2a0abffdb88ce4a64260adf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

It all depends on what the loco is doing - how much smoke it's making, Is it working hard or easy? Moving or stationary? Regulator open or closed? Running fast or slowly?

There's good reason for this.  When the loco is working, it's mostly exhausting steam, which starts to condense as soon as it enters the colder air.  When the regulator's closed, the smoke which while containing some steam (as a product of combustion), is dominated by part-burned fuel which is what we see as smoke and which doesn't condense.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, mswjr said:

Yep, All ALEGROS were Brown.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a yellow one.

My spouse had one which was the spray painter's joke, mixture of both, resembling   .......    all those of delicate disposition are advised to move on now........

.....   for those of stronger stomach, her Allegro was a mix of the previously mentioned colours, desert sand and chicken curry vomit.  Not only that, but due to being reversed into a rather large ditch, it sported a wrinkled roof, as a result of the rather thin tin construction.

Julian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

My spouse had one which was the spray painter's joke, mixture of both, resembling   .......    all those of delicate disposition are advised to move on now........

.....   for those of stronger stomach, her Allegro was a mix of the previously mentioned colours, desert sand and chicken curry vomit.  Not only that, but due to being reversed into a rather large ditch, it sported a wrinkled roof, as a result of the rather thin tin construction.

Julian

I always thought 1970's British Leyland shared a colour palette with 1970's Armitage Shanks...

Mike

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The Allegro was indicative of everything wrong with BL in the 1970s.  Anyone who actually owned and drove one seemed to think they were actually quite good (like most BL products of the time), but then they were basically a re-bodied Austin 1300, which was an excellent car.  The Austin/Morris 1100/1300 was also the best selling car in Britain, but by evolving it into the Allegro, BL managed to reduce sales by two-thirds.  That really was quite an achievement but not one that anyone should be especially proud of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

They were good cars, in some ways better than their 1100/1300 predecessors, less liable to rust to begin with. The problem was that the 'management by decree' at British Leyland that contributed to the downfall of the company.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Usual story - the media trashed the brand, the public read about it and continued the tale. But some (actually quite a lot) of people liked them & bought them. (I've been brand loyal since I started driving). It is surprising how made of the "stereotypes" have never even been in one, and are pleasantly surprised when they have to suffer the indignity!

My list is:

Austin A30 (12 yrs old, 250k miles done)

Morris Marina 1.8

Morris Ital 1.3 (from 3 months old), my newest car, another 250k miles.

Rover Sterling 2.7 V6 auto

Rover Sterling 2.5 V6 auto (3 off)**

Rover 75 V6 2.5 V6 auto (3 off)**. 1st done reached 230k miles, it successor was an insurance write off after a very minor accident. The latest is 16 years old, almost like new, 4 years older than my 1st car was when I started!

[** all DIY converted to lpg]

I have a book on the history of the Leyland group of companies, and it really surprised me how far ahead of the game the company really was with its developments.

Stewart.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I loved my Morris 1100 - made by the Lambretta company in Italy. It was an IM3 (Innocent-Morris) MkIII 1965 made, left-hand drive, twin carbs, leather upholstery. Rust and a mortgage finally did it in in about 1981. Sorry for being OT, but it was my first ever car. :cry:

• Like 2