Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

D1040 Western Queen on a down parcels bound for Plymouth in the mid 60's.

post-126-0-16790700-1390328112_thumb.jpg

A special thanks here to members Trains&armour and Westerner for help creating this photo.

• Like 16

Some stunning pictures there, PaternosterRow. Beautiful lighting and modelling coming together perfectly. Apart from the faulty lip under the smoke box door of course. Dreadful mistake to make. Err, what faulty lip under the smoke box door?!

31 August 1982 Edinburgh Waverley and driver Douglas Furr is still waiting on platform 13...

attachicon.gif20140120 Van side 4.jpg

Hi Dave

Just as you see one good set of photos, here comes another 2 photo that are always excellent, I had to laugh at your comment... only from a true pro...!!!

Excellent Dave as always mate, love the parcels in the blue cages, they look really good, I would like to see just how big they are next to a 5p, the whole cage can only be about a 10p in length.

Janie

wow mate,

Now that is a good scene, I have seen divers and jet ski, boats, buoys etc. but never one of those, dare I ask did you make it... cocktail stick into the board...

well what ever way, it excellent work.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The board and sail are from a Busch pack HO-6011 "Windsurfer Set" which is long out of production.  I cannot find a good equivalent currently available but Faller item F-130283 (Boats and Windsurfing Boards) is a respectable second-best.  While that is a 2006 item there is still stock available in some places.

The surfer himself is a Noch chap from the pack called "Mountaineers" its NO-15871 and again still currently available.  These I repainted with wetsuits as their poses are the best I could find for surfing.  Others from the same pack are riding the short boards in the waves which are also from the Busch pack but without adding their sails.

No pins were used in the production of this scene.  The sail has a lug which fits a pre-bored hold in the board.  All surfers and bathers in the water are fitted to the scene with the water resin wet and thus stay firmly put as it cures.  Humbrol poly-cement holds the riders to the boards though with such tiny points of contact they occasionally require a re-glue if even the slightest contact is made with them.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more pictures of the Shadow Box Roundhouse

attachicon.gifP1050044 - Copy (FILEminimizer).JPG

attachicon.gifP1050061 - Copy (FILEminimizer).JPG

attachicon.gifP1050063 (FILEminimizer).JPG

attachicon.gifP1050068 (FILEminimizer).JPG

attachicon.gifP1050070 - Copy (FILEminimizer).JPG

A neat history of motive power from the early 50's to early 70's.  These places were much run down by this time - some having seen over a hundred years of continuous service.

That second from last one with the crates on the wall is just amazing

Paul

A neat history of motive power from the early 50's to early 70's.  These places were much run down by this time - some having seen over a hundred years of continuous service.  

Hi mate, splendid photo mate the atmosphere the lighting used is excellent, how are You producing the light shining in,,, is it on an LED or a torch held from the top shining down.  I say touch because of the yellow/orange glow..

JAMIE

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie

Many thanks for your kind comments.  Lighting is achieved by using 3mm warm white LED at the front.  These have been stuffed into the end of some drinking straws to turn them into mini spots in order to shine down on the front and sides of the locos.  The rear light is kitchen downlight halogen bulbs - these are above the roof which has had small slits and holes punched into it.  Smoke is blown in to create the streaking sun beam effect.  

Edited by PaternosterRow
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That second from last one with the crates on the wall is just amazing

Paul

It is. Absolutely and utterly. 

I'd love to know how the concrete was done, Mike? It looks like 1 part cement, 2 parts water and 5 parts aggregate to me. The dusty, weathered and aged look is just perfect.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

These are outstanding, well done

• RMweb Premium

It is. Absolutely and utterly. 

I'd love to know how the concrete was done, Mike? It looks like 1 part cement, 2 parts water and 5 parts aggregate to me. The dusty, weathered and aged look is just perfect.

Cheers Dave.

It's just grey painted mounting card with ash from my living room fire strewn around and glued here and there.  You just can't beat using the real stuff for scenics every once in a while.

• Informative/Useful 1