Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Hi Adrian,

I was about to grumble that this blog is about models only until I slowly realized that it is one!!!  I'm still not absolutely sure.  Fantastic workmanship.  We definitely need an OMG button for this picture.

Many thanks for the comment - as the real 2907 was scrapped in 1933 this is definitely a model! Much of the effect is due to the superb backdrop of Swindon A shop which was built by John Dornom. The loco itself is one of the superb creations being produced by Masterpiece Models, so all I can really take credit for is the photography.

Adrian

• Like 1

Just astonishing.  With all due respect to the other fabulous pictures on this thread these are some of the best I have seen.  The only thing that says "model" about these is that they are in colour of a period before colour photography.

Edited by C&WR

I have to say that I have seen some impressive realistic photos on this thread but those Adrian are amazing. Absolute top notch modelling and photography. They are, in no doubt, the best on here so far.

Missy :)

Swindon 1906?

Beautiful model, but I'm suprised no one has pointed out that it can't be 1906, unless someone has borrowed those lamps from a railmotor. The GWR used black loco lamps on everything except railmotors until about 1915 when red was adopted for all.

If we're going to be really picky, the livery is also open to question. Holcroft says that the first black frames appeared on the county tanks in 1906. Whilst 2221 was built in September 1905, the next ones were built from August 1906 onwards. Lady Disdain was built in May 1906 so may well have had the final form of the red frame livery when first built.

Nick

Beautiful model, but I'm suprised no one has pointed out that it can't be 1906, unless someone has borrowed those lamps from a railmotor. The GWR used black loco lamps on everything except railmotors until about 1915 when red was adopted for all.

If we're going to be really picky, the livery is also open to question. Holcroft says that the first black frames appeared on the county tanks in 1906. Whilst 2221 was built in September 1905, the next ones were built from August 1906 onwards. Lady Disdain was built in May 1906 so may well have had the final form of the red frame livery when first built.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for pointing that out. It actually can't be 1906 (my mistake) because 2907 wasn't named until 1907! I'm open to persuasion about the lamps, but of course they can be changed. Re the livery, I am told that the 'Lady' series were the first with the black frames, but apparently No. 98 did appear with red frames.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I'd forgotten about the 1907 naming! I think all of the early ones that were renumbered into the 2900 series (100, 98, 171-90) must have been finished in the red frame livery when built. Most, if not all, of the Saints would have had black frames, so maybe the ladies are open to question. Do you know of any clear evidence of their as-built condition? Most photos I've seen are after naming or after superheating. Holcroft was there at the time, but it's always possible that he made a mistake. As far as the county tanks are concerned, I think he was referring to the August 1906 builds as one photo of 2221 as built a year earlier does look as though it has red frames.

Nick

A quick conversion to B & W and now you really are there....

Sometimes when we see models in colour it doesn't compute in our brains as well as a B & W image because most of us have only seen such scenes as B & W photos. So even if the colours are spot on, it isn't what we are used to seeing.

Apologies for tinkering with your lovely photo Adrian!

Even nicer in black & white! Thanks for doing that, maybe I'll try it with a few of the others.

Hi Adrian,

I'd forgotten about the 1907 naming! I think all of the early ones that were renumbered into the 2900 series (100, 98, 171-90) must have been finished in the red frame livery when built. Most, if not all, of the Saints would have had black frames, so maybe the ladies are open to question. Do you know of any clear evidence of their as-built condition? Most photos I've seen are after naming or after superheating. Holcroft was there at the time, but it's always possible that he made a mistake. As far as the county tanks are concerned, I think he was referring to the August 1906 builds as one photo of 2221 as built a year earlier does look as though it has red frames.

Nick

It would look good with the final version of the red frame livery… Perhaps that's one for an Atlantic in due course.