RMWEB Member's Tour of Didcot

Castle

Hi All,

In consultation between Andy Y and me and the powers that be at 81E (perhaps I'm a poet an I don't really know it?), I can announce firm plans for a RMWEB Members day visit to Didcot Railway Centre. The suggested tour date at the moment is Sunday 28th July. This is during my summer holiday so I will be available for tour guide duties and it is also a full running day so there will be 'toys' to play with!

I will do a proper modellers tour where I will take you behind the scenes and enable you to look in all the workshops and stored collections of vehicles. If there is anything that you specifically want to see, measure, look at, go inside of or crawl over then let me know and we will see what we can do. The only obvious restrictions would be on any stock or items on the running lines of course - squashed patrons don't go down well with management...

The plan would be to get yourselves to Didcot and take any rides for mid morning and I will take an early lunch and start the tour at 12:30hrs, meeting you at the entrance kiosk at the top end of the site.

In addition to last time, the signalling box key may well find its way into my pocket so there will be an opportunity to go and have a look at the box and the incredible level of authentic restoration achieved with this building. I will also steal a carriage key from somewhere so we can inspect the interior of some of the vehicles not normally accessible to visitors. Also, Railmotor No. 93 will be back in the fold for inspection (or perhaps rides) as, in theory, should No. 6023 King Edward II.

I am thought that if we start getting numbers now, those that want to come will be able to do so including those that were disappointed to not be able to attend last year. I would like to put a cap on the group size of 40 as any more than that and it gets a bit confined in the various works and at that size I may rope another volunteer or two in to help with the tour. This is easily done as they are a bit like Boris in that respect - they will work for a beer or two... Just leave a post here or PM me to express an interest and book places.

So - is there enough interest for another tour?

Who wants a look then?

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

81C - 2X 81E - Check!

Rich - you are down for a place - might be needed as a bit of wedding planning antidote by that point perhaps? Stressful business I hear!

All the best,

Castle

I hope you are brushing up your translating Mike... I am barely proficient in English!

I will put you down for two provisionally, one for definite.

Good to hear you are coming along for the day!

All the best,

Castle

Yes, for that I would be seriously tempted to fly over, though I may have some professional obligations at that time that might prevent me from attending. I am interested.

I'd love to see the railmotor up close.

See what you can do and let me know - no rush!

All the best,

Castle

I'm up for this definitely. Id like to see inside the signal box if possible and also the coal stage (future modelling plans). Others on my list would be the 50 ton crane, 1800 and the diesel railcar but a chance to photograph anything is welcome.

Thank you very much for organising this Castle. I would very much like to attend though can't commit to putting my name down at the moment as so much of my life is up in the air at the moment.

I am simply thanking you for giving us this opportunity at this stage! As I've said to you before I'd very much like to have a good look around 1466 if I do come.

I will let you know as soon as I know, but I have no idea when that might be I'm afraid.

How much would it cost? The normal entrance fee to Didcot?

Thank you very much for organising this Castle. I would very much like to attend though can't commit to putting my name down at the moment as so much of my life is up in the air at the moment.

I am simply thanking you for giving us this opportunity at this stage! As I've said to you before I'd very much like to have a good look around 1466 if I do come.

I will let you know as soon as I know, but I have no idea when that might be I'm afraid.

How much would it cost? The normal entrance fee to Didcot?

Hi Chris,

It will be the normal entrance fee to Didcot (it should be a two loco day so the extra £1 for the coal will apply in that case) plus any food / goodies you wish to buy (!). My tour is free of charge to you all - the GWS remit is to preserve and share the collection so I am merely carrying out my duties... That's my excuse anyway! As I know you have been keen to come to the shed for a while, I will tentatively put you down for a place and if you can't make it later then just let me know. No problem!

Running Days.

(Price dependent on number of locomotives in operation) Adults £8.00 - £9.00 Children £7.00 - £8.00 Over 60 £7.50 - £8.50 Family £27.00 -£30.00

All the best,

Castle

Hi 111,

I had forgotten them - they were great weren't they?! I don't think I can organise that - I don't know many Italians!

I will put you down for a mooch about again!

All the best,

Castle

Archived