RMWEB Member's Tour of Didcot

Castle

Castle,

That sounds like an opportunity not to be missed, please count me in. A close look at the K40 and interior of the Coal Stage if possible would be very helpful. Thanks for yor efforts in organising this.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy and Ali,

Done - see you there! It is nice to bring my full size and model hobbies together so it is a pleasure to be able to organise the trip.

Hi All,

There are another two who have PM'd me - 18 out of 40 so far. Places are going fast...

To be fair, if there is demand I will do a morning and afternoon tour and spread things out to perhaps 25 per tour but we will cross that bridge when and if we come to it. I don't intend to be working on the locos that day anyway but I will have to drag my carcass out of bed a little earlier... We don't want anyone disappointed!

All the best,

Castle

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try and go. Just have to see what I'm working that weekend and I'll get back to you (fingers crossed for a weekend off)

Best to pencil me in for now but if I don't manage to get a place the centre's open to the public anyway. I'll have to make myself known to you all and see if there's tour space on the day.

Hi Alex,

See if you can book a day off as you have a place on the tour my good chap! These numbers are not hard and fast and as indicated earlier in the thread, we are most adaptable!

I look forward to meeting you.

All the best,

Castle

Sounds a great day Castle, I'd like to join in too. I'll combine it with a trip to my visit my Dad, makes it seem less of a long drive from deepest Norfolk.

Not been for nearly three years, want to see the SRM especially.

Adrian.

• RMweb Premium

Yes please! (X2)

Didcot was on my "to do" list this year! Maybe combine with a trip to Pendon on the Sat and stay over at the Premier Inn in Did.

Thanks very much, sounds like a great weekend!

Hi Neal,

You and A. N. Other are on the list - that does sound like a fun weekend! We had a brilliant tour of Pendon a few years ago (as you can imagine - some GWS types are involved there too!) one evening during our annual work week in August where they opened the doors just for us and gave us the full works tour - magic! Dinner at The Plough after helped too...

All the best,

Castle

• 3 weeks later...

Only just spotted this thread... One question, is it likely to be suitable for children as well as adults? You can stick me down for a place anyway, but I think the rest of the family would like to tag along as well if possible, even if they give some of the more esoteric (aka "boring", to a non-trainspotter) parts a miss.

Hi Mark,

I have had kids as young as 6 or 7 that I have shown around the loco works and they have enjoyed it immensely. I think the fact that someone there has shown an interest in showing them a few bits that they wouldn't normally has been the key so that is no problem at all. I once took a whole pack of Cub Scouts and their handlers (I forget what the proper name is and I apologise!) round and they loved it - they said it was the best bit of the visit as they got to see how the engine they had just had a ride on worked! Didcot is a great family attraction any way so they will enjoy themselves anyway. Apart from the museum, we tend not to put up do not touch signs as there really is nothing young fingers can break - it's probably why they let me work on them... How many places do you want?

All the best,

Castle

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Castle,

Not sure how your numbers are stacking up now but if there is room, can I come with my grandson - he will be about to start his 3rd school year in September (nearly 7)? I won't mention this to him or his parents until you can confirm.  Thanks anyway for taking th trouble to do this!

Tony

Hi Mark,

I have had kids as young as 6 or 7 that I have shown around the loco works and they have enjoyed it immensely. I think the fact that someone there has shown an interest in showing them a few bits that they wouldn't normally has been the key so that is no problem at all. I once took a whole pack of Cub Scouts and their handlers (I forget what the proper name is and I apologise!) round and they loved it - they said it was the best bit of the visit as they got to see how the engine they had just had a ride on worked! Didcot is a great family attraction any way so they will enjoy themselves anyway. Apart from the museum, we tend not to put up do not touch signs as there really is nothing young fingers can break - it's probably why they let me work on them... How many places do you want?

All the best,

Castle

In that case, can you provisionally put me down for four places.

Thanks

Mark

Hi All,

I have confirmed the presence of two of my fellow volunteers, one of which is an apprentice boilersmith and the other is experienced on the footplate, so we can split you up into 2 groups and still keep everyone happy! I suggest we do 2 groups of 20 to 25 persons. I will take one group and the two lads will take the other.

Mark you are down for 4 places (you were down for two anyway!), Doug, I can squeeze you in no problem at all and Tony, it will be great to see you and your grandson on the day.

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

I have confirmed the presence of two of my fellow volunteers, one of which is an apprentice boilersmith and the other is experienced on the footplate, so we can split you up into 2 groups and still keep everyone happy! I suggest we do 2 groups of 20 to 25 persons. I will take one group and the two lads will take the other.

Mark you are down for 4 places (you were down for two anyway!), Doug, I can squeeze you in no problem at all and Tony, it will be great to see you and your grandson on the day.

All the best,

Castle

Thank you very much Castle!

• 1 month later...

Archived