St Albans Model Railway Exhibition 2010

adrianmc

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the Exhibition's free vintage bus service connecting the venue and the railway stations has had to be cancelled.

This is due to Country Bus Rallies not being able to resource the necessary vintage vehicles due to the weather and the damage that may be caused by the salt on the roads.

Click here for more information

Unfortunately the Exhibition's free vintage bus service connecting the venue and the railway stations has had to be cancelled.

Phew, I though you were about to say it was all off, just after I've bought a fresh batch of resin! See you on Saturday :icon_wave:

Just got the all clear from the exhibition team, so i'm off to stick some more bushes on then pack up Long Line.

We'll be trundling (47mph) down the A5 Friday, so as you overtake us beep, but keep out of the way as the Landy brakes are..mmm well..2 & 3/4 tons x 47mph + ice - mixed surface tyres = :unsure:

Mark

Dam it shall have to make sure that the walking boots on Saturday. How long well it take to walk to the venue from St Albans City

Terry

About 15 mins

Come out of the station, turn right up stairs onto the overbridge and turn right again on the road, ie to the left of the railway if you've come from London

You can cut through near the police station

Just got the all clear from the exhibition team, so i'm off to stick some more bushes on then pack up Long Line.

We'll be trundling (47mph) down the A5 Friday, so as you overtake us beep, but keep out of the way as the Landy brakes are..mmm well..2 & 3/4 tons x 47mph + ice - mixed surface tyres = :unsure:

Mark

we had to dig our club hut out of the snow going to pack wellbridge up lunch time and take a slow drive up there just hope the snow keeps away for the weekend as dont want to have to dig any more snow to get the layout back to the club hut

daz

Just got back from St. Albans and have to say I was a little dissapointed this year.

There was a distinct lack of trade stands selling rolling stock (i felt) and I thought the Eastern Region (steam) layout was far to big and the space could of been used better to have a couple of smaller layouts.

I particulary like the Australian layout because it was something unusual and I was quite surprised to learn that the California Coast Line was 'Z' gauge and how big the rolling stock was.

My Boy (10 yr old) was in love with the Shanklin layout and now says he wants one!! (at least it keeps him off the play station and will make him play on the railway station biggrin.gif )

Hello

Not been back long.

Thanks to David Bigcheeseplant for the lift there and back.

Have not been for a couple of years, but for me the best layout at the show was Crumley & Little Wickhill an excellent 009 layout.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

I took a long shopping list and got all I needed plus a bit more, oh and spent rather a lot of money as I got the Avonside chassis jig.

I was running out of wire, flux, solder, drills and other consumables so stocked up, plus I needed some bits for the Aylesbury project that I can claim back from our club, but really the plastic took quite a hit.

David

mmmm, sorry to say disappointed.sad.gif

I have always had this show as one of the best to visit in a year, but there was very little trade this year, hardly any Modern Image.

Went with a list of things to buy and left with wallet and list intact.

Looks like Leamington will be getting my money tomorrow (hopefully!!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Interesting reading the comments in this thread.

I've enjoyed the St Albans show in years gone by, and had made plans to go this year as usual.

However, when I looked to see what layouts were booked I saw that there was barely any N, and no modern image. I'm happy to spend some time looking at not-my-scale steam era layouts (as has been said many times, many modelling techniques are transferable and I can appreciate the skill of the builders) but I do expect there to be enough of a mix so that I can at least see some modern trains running - even if they're not my chosen scale.

I'm not too fussed about traders as (luckily) I have the excellent Trains4U nearby.

So with some sadness I decided to save the petrol money and not go. I hope there is a better mix next year, because it's nice to have something to look forward to in the quiet period after Xmas!!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I have been back about 1 hour, I thought that the show was well balanced but the catering was up to silly standard again.

:blink: :blink: :blink: I do like to have a drink DECAFFEINATED coffee as I have a low thresh hold for caffeine, as I type this I am having a buzzing session due that 1 cup of tea I had. I do wish that exhibition managers ensure that there is both types of coffee and tea on tap. :blink: :blink: :blink:

The 3 layouts that caught me eye was

1. The Gresley Beat.
  2. Wellbridge.
  3. Crumley & Little Wickhill. For it unusual approach for the public to view it :)
  4. Broadford. Make a change to see a layout on the Australian railways.

I did not spend much just picked up a started D.J.H 1366 kit. :P

Terry.

The 3 layouts that caught me eye was

1. The Gresley Beat.
  2. Wellbridge.
  3. Crumley & Little Wickhill. For it unusual approach for the public to view it smile.gif
  4. Broadford. Make a change to see a layout on the Australian railways.

Terry.

Hey Terry, you really do need to watch the caffeine intake - of the FOUR layouts that you listed, which are the THREE that caught your eye.biggrin.gif Too much Spanish Inquisition, perhaps huh.gif

I trekked down from Cambridge as usual and have to say it was a little flat. As usual some excellent layouts, but not a very good mix and some repeats?

In short:

Expensive to get in.

I do not need a glossy brochure as part of that fee, and neither does the planet.

Where was the bus?! Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Mike

Thank you for the reviews. I usually go to this show. In view of the comments I think I will give it a miss and save my pennies for Dartford next weekend. St Albans never was a good show as far as RTR trade was concerned. Any one know what's up with Gary 247? I see that he is not attending and has not answered a recent email.

Bernard

I spent a very brief, but happy 90 mins at the St Albans Model Railway exhibition this afternoon. I am not sure the overall quality was up to last year's, but nonetheless, there were some excellent layouts. Gresley Beat was stunning, as was Crumwick (?). I need to check the names against the guide, but I just uploaded these and thought they were worth sharing. To see those two layouts, and the large O gauge downstairs, was worth the entrance fee.

Trade was a little flat, and attendance was definitely down on last year, though I did turn up at lunchtime, which may have reduce the numbers somewhat. A lot of these photos need cropping, and I struggled as a the lighting was so poor, but hopefully you get the gist.

Gresley Beat:

DSCF0589.jpg

DSCF0588.jpg

DSCF0549.jpg

DSCF0550.jpg

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0559.jpg

DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0566.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0577.jpg

DSCF0594.jpg

DSCF0578.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the reviews. I usually go to this show. In view of the comments I think I will give it a miss and save my pennies for Dartford next weekend. St Albans never was a good show as far as RTR trade was concerned. Any one know what's up with Gary 247? I see that he is not attending and has not answered a recent email.

Bernard

I'm going to buck the trend and say I thought the layouts were better than last year. Without checking lists (I left my programme behind...) my impression was that the main hall and stage had fewer , but larger , layouts this year . Gresley Beat, East Lynne , the Hull narrow gauge layout (aka "the Stealth Bomber") and Wellbridge were all excellent layouts , and I very much liked Broadford. That's a very strong showing from the "feature layouts".

My impression was that the main hall at least became quite quiet from mid afternoon in the Saturday, but I gather they had had plenty of people through the door .

I stopped off to have a look round the signal box on the way in - very interesting

I was able to get there for the end of Sunday afternoon, and thought it well up to standard. Between The Gresley Best and East Lynn I had my money's worth, and there were plenty of other good items on view as mentioned above. Someone on 'The Long Line' was very kind to my wife in explaining some of the operational detail; and she had a very happy time talking about the scenic modelling being demonstrated by various exhibitors. We were both impressed by the presentation of Crumley and Little Wickhill, and judging by the comments exchanged with others while watching, that was the general opinion. (Indeed one very small boy was issuing his mother with instructions to the effect that this was just what he wanted... good luck mum.)

I can see that there wasn't much UK post steam action this year, swings and roundabouts, it will come around again.

I went specifically to see Crumley and Little Wickhill and was not disappointed. The execution was superb, but it was the concept that impressed me most. It's such an obvious approach when you see it, but my hat is off to the guy(s?) who came up with it in the first place.

Otherwise there was a good selection of layouts in my view,and I'm glad I went, but as I have said before I don't rate the venue and would be glad if they found somewhere with more light, air and space and less stairs.

Ed

Something of a perennial problem in central Herts. The really good venues are unfeasibly expensive, and also tend to have seriously restricted access in terms of time. Perhaps we need a degree course in railway modelling at the University of Herts, to include an annual general exhibition using their excellent new facility on the old DeHav's airfield...

Had a enjoyable day yesterday for a first visit prompted by Gresley Beat. Some very other nice layouts as well.

However the venue was very cramped due to the large crowd present. It was very hot in some areas and cold in other parts?? I agree re stairs, the top level was in my opinion dangerous very narrow walkway due to the demo benches and other displays with a unguarded drop onto a seating area. Wouldnt have been good if anyone had slipped.

Mick

Archived