APOLLO's GRAND DAYS OUT

Hi Appollo,

A great set of now historical photos. One question does spring to mind. On the first photo was the corridor connection door open to get that angle? As the centre of the tracks are in the centre of the frame.

More photos please.

Regards

Vin

Vin, if I remember correctly yes the door was open with a shunter ready to close / lock it. I was lucky to get this shot. I will post some more trips as I find and scan the negs. I did this day out first as there are many Woodhead fans (self included) on this site.

Brit15

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I did the last day over Woodhead as well, no pictures though I'm afraid, remember it being very cold! I reckon some liberties were taken with the speedo down from Woodhead towards Manchester, ex LMS stock if I recall and a pretty lively ride. Should really dig out my notebook from the time.

Lovely set of piccies.

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

The AL5 was the one involved in the Willesden derailment in July 1969, as discussed in the Bachmann class 85 thread.

You've inspired me to dig out my old photos, although they're more recent than your collection.

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

Lovely photos, lots of atmosphere, lots of history.

Like an idiot, I lost interest in railways for quite a while after the demise of steam, and was too young to have gone to see any of the final days.

Thus I ALSO missed out on trips over the Woodhead, the S&D, the GCR etc etc.

One point: the A4 at Crewe is 60026 "Miles Beevor". It was used as a donor when they were overhauling Sir Nigel. It was later cut up there.

• Like 2

JeffP - Thanks for that. many years ago. I've not found all my old trainspotting logs, and those I have found are hard to de-cipher these days !!

Here is a photo that explains what you said, taken around 1967/8 . Sir Nigel Gresley having been overhauled at Crewe was run in on parcels trains up to Carlisle. Here she is Wigan North Western's platform 1 hauling a southbound parcels train. No date I'm afraid, and my dad took the photo (that's why it's a good un - he was a press photographer !!).

post-6884-0-20301500-1358949045.jpg

Still scanning & having fun - more to add soon.

Brit15

• Like 12

Now I may have the tale a little wrong about the above picture. Sir Nigel has one lamp, indicating a stopping passenger train. The book I was reading this afternoon - Foxline scenes from the past 52 - Wigan to Preston the Northern Union line remembered has a little more info, page 49. (pix of 4498  1 April1967 at Boars Head on Crewe Carlisle A4 Locomotive preservation society special)

Sir Nigel had been purchased privately in May 1966 and overhauled at Crewe 66/67. It states amongst her running in turns was the 3P07 - 23.45 Crewe to Preston and the 2K52 - 05.30 Preston to Crewe local passenger. (No dates). Given the direction of the train (southbound), headcode and darkness, and it looks like passenger coaches rather than parcels vans behind her, I think this train is the 2K52. Though I never remember my dad getting up early, he probably did so ! - we did live only a mile from Wigan NW back then !!

Brit15

• Like 3

I remember Clans were seen occasionaly through Wigan (and Garstang further north) back in the early 60's as some were (I think) allocated to Kingmoor then. They were also regularly used on the daily Manchester Exchange to Glasgow afternoon express, which ran via Tyldesley & Wigan North Western.

Brit15

• Like 2