APOLLO's GRAND DAYS OUT

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful stuff. And at last a train hauled by a 9F I could run on my layout (1st pic). Is that a china clay wagon behnind the loco I wonder - the weathering looks white or grey.

And what on earth is that "thing" on the far track in the 19th photo with the Brit about to pass it? (It's the photo after 70030).

Keep them coming, please.

• Like 2

Wonderful stuff. And at last a train hauled by a 9F I could run on my layout (1st pic). Is that a china clay wagon behnind the loco I wonder - the weathering looks white or grey.

And what on earth is that "thing" on the far track in the 19th photo with the Brit about to pass it? (It's the photo after 70030).

An early tamper- a Matissa, I think; modern ones are a bit bigger, and probably slightly more comfortable to work on.

I notice that there's what appears to be a blue and grey Mark 2 coach behind one of the Brits; I don't think I've seen that before, all the early shots of blue and grey Mk 2 stock has been with them in complete trains hauled by electrics.

• Like 1

I saw that and thought it looked like a partly crushed 2 axle railbus!!! (I knew it wasn't!)

Wonderful pictures, Apollo - must have been great days indeed.

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I said, dad was a press photographer with only a passing interest in railways and in his youth was a keen cyclist. I still have a medal he won for the Wigan Wheelers cycle club Wigan to Shrewsbury and back - 123.5 miles in 7 hours and 28 mins in July 1930. a club record back then, when most roads were cobbled through towns, no motorways or bypasses, tram lines also.

Back in the mid 60's dad had an old Mk 7 Jag  - but my dad loved 2 wheels, and bought a Vespa scooter for his work transport, which on this day (back around 1965 or) so took us up to Garstang. (I hated riding pillion - scared to death !!!). We visited the then open Garstang & Catterall station (on the WCML between Preston & Lancaster still open back then - it closed on 3 Feb 1969) and the remaining stub of the old Garstang & Knott End railway which served a coal merchant at Garstang Town station, about a mile from the main line station and alot closer to town.

The Garstang & Knot End would make a nice model railway. (Has anyone done / doing it ?).

Garstang & Catterall Station

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall general view to the east.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall general view to the north.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall northbound Black 5.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall northbound Clan.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall southbound Black 5.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall southbound D305 b.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall southbound D305.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Catterall southbound Metrovick CoBo.jpg

Garstang Town Station

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 1.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly bridge near Garstang Town Station 3.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly bridge near Garstang Town Station 4.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 2.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 5.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 6.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 7.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 8.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 9.jpg

attachicon.gifGarstang and Knott End Rly Garstang Town Station 10.jpg

Brit15

Great photos of Garstang Town. Always thought that it would make an unusual model, although I have never heard of or seen one. As a model of a small, independant railway it would make a nice change from the Colonel Stephens lookalikes and GWR BLTs, attractive as they are. The huge Manning Wardle 2-6-0T 'Blackpool' would make an attractive and unusual model and not at all like your usual MW locomotives.

There's an Oakwood Press volume about the line, not currently in print but usually available secondhand.

David

Edited by DavidLong
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There are some threads on RM Web which always make me yearn for a time machine, this is certainly one of them!

A great set of pics Apollo, ive been in awe of them for the last 30 minutes!

• RMweb Premium

This is a perfect example highlighting the difference between H0 and 00..................... :jester:  

Just discovered this thread - super pics. I can never tire of photos of the BR Standards. (Possibly my second favourite after yellow stuff..)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a perfect example highlighting the difference between H0 and 00..................... :jester:

Those early tampers just go to show how far we've come! Would like to see one sat beside an 09.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely thread: will Apollo be updating it any time soon?

Any shots of the lines running out of Liverpool Exchange? The Preston-Ormskirk stretch is my local route, so I'm always interested in photos from this part of the world!

• Like 1

Lovely thread: will Apollo be updating it any time soon?

Any shots of the lines running out of Liverpool Exchange? The Preston-Ormskirk stretch is my local route, so I'm always interested in photos from this part of the world!

Yes George,  I intend to add more, but a bit busy now with hols, plumbing, a bit of building works etc, Have to do it while the weather is good. As soon as the weather gets cold & miserable (which it will !!) I'll add some more. I must say I am pleased with how popular this post is. Still have plenty to scan - god knows what I'll find !!!!!!!!!!

I may have a couple of Bank Hall photos. I'll have a look.

Brit15

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great photos of Garstang Town. Always thought that it would make an unusual model, although I have never heard of or seen one. As a model of a small, independant railway it would make a nice change from the Colonel Stephens lookalikes and GWR BLTs, attractive as they are. The huge Manning Wardle 2-6-0T 'Blackpool' would make an attractive and unusual model and not at all like your usual MW locomotives.

There's an Oakwood Press volume about the line, not currently in print but usually available secondhand.

David

A mate of mine, who's not a RMWebber, (with occasional input from me) is modelling Garstang Town in P4. We took a couple of boards to S4North about 5 years ago. Track is laid and wiring has started (it's DCC). Unfortunately progress has slowed to a crawl in the last couple of years owing to work commitments (his, not mine) but we hope to recommence work before too long.

Apollo's photos are invaluable in capturing certain angles and views I've never seen before, such as the rear of the carriage shed and the level crossing over Croston Road.

Very many thanks for publishing them. Why didn't I notice them sooner!

• Like 1

I'm glad my photos (well,my dad's in this instance) have been of use to a fellow modeller. I,m sorting out some more posts. Some interesting and rare (I hope !) stuff to come soon.

Brit 15

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great set of photos Apollo, absolutely top drawer stuff!

Would it be ok if I posted your Old Oak shots with full credit to you over on the Facebook Old Oak group please...? (they are sure to stoke the memory banks of the old hands who are in the group!)

Like the other photo threads, I've come to this one late as well.  Super photos bringing back memories I didn't think I had of the Blue period.  It was all so 'normal' then, I suppose we didn't think that in due course it would become 'historically important'.

There's been some really excellent and historically interesting photos appearing on all these photo threads, keep 'em coming guys!

And 1970, I remember that OK.  I should do - I got married!  Unfortunately at the time I wasn't really into trains.  A pity because I was in High Wycombe at the time with all those hydraulics whizzing through.  And my girl friend's (later wife's) office was right next to the station with a good view of the line and my flat backed onto the Bourne End line.  I was often woken up in the night by a waiting loco throbbing away at eye level.

Wigan Wheelers - I was 5th in their 50 mile time trial in 1966.  Oh dear, was it really that long ago................................

• Like 1